The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 03:42:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Delta And The Bannermen

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
4/5 - Really Good - 4 (36.4%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 5 (45.5%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 2 (18.2%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Delta And The Bannermen  (Read 250 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: September 11, 2011, 11:56:58 am »

It has taken a while but we finally take our first look at the Seventh Doctor in his third story, Delta and the Bannermen.

The time: 1959. The place: Shangri-La holiday camp, South Wales. The Seventh Doctor and Mel want time out. The hedonistic alien Navarinos want to catch some vintage rock and roll, and two CIA agents want to know what happened to their country's missing satellite.

When the beautiful Chimeron princess Delta shows up on the scene, the murderous Bannermen soon follow in hot pursuit. The stage is set for a fiery showdown that will decide the fate of an entire civilisation.

Delta and the Bannermen was the third story in the twenty-fourth season of Doctor Who. It was the first serial since Planet of Giants to utilise a three-part format, and was the first to do so intentionally. Following Delta, the three-parter would become a standard feature of the McCoy era.

While under the working title Flight of the Chimeron, it was originally scripted that Mel should leave at the end of this story; she was to be replaced by a character called Ace. Ultimately Langford chose to stay and Ace's character became Ray. The name Ace was used for a companion who joined in the following story, Dragonfire.

Enjoy the story. The next one will be posted on Sunday 18th September.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:05:59 pm »

This is now open for discussion Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 03:18:36 pm »

I don't think I have seen this one. I definately don't own it anyway. I'll give it a watch later today
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30:37 pm »

I've seen it.  Based on my memories, it was probably the strongest of series 24, but that's not saying much.  I'll see if it improves or declines on another watch.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 01:19:12 pm »

I've never seen this. Never seen a Seventh Doctor story for that matter (the Movie doesn't count, does it?)

I have posted my ass off here today so I shall reward myself by going and watching it now Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 05:47:12 pm »

I actually really enjoyed that! It had some dodgy acting, even dodgier accents and lots of bits that didn't make sense, but I thought it was good fun. The pace moved along nicely and didn't drag as much as a lot of the classics I have seen and I quite like Sylvester McCoy too. 4/5
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:01:59 pm »

I'm definately joining in this week. I'll watch tomorrow and come on and chat. I quite like this one
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 02:10:15 pm »

I just watched this on Sunday which is a nice coincidence Smiley

This story gets a 3 from me, but would have got a 2.5 had it been possible. While I don't think it is as bad as many make out, it has elements of the totally godawful in it. I also really hate the music, particularly in episode one which sounds like bad 80's p0rn music and some of the acting is horrendous, but even despite all that it still has it's charm and I quite like it
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 06:08:44 pm »

As Nyki says it was one of the better efforts of Season 24 but I think that says more about season 24 lol. The concept and plot was actually quite an interesting one and I think we get the germs of the new direction that Andrew Cartmell was trying to take the show down. It just looked so horribly underfunded and actually had the vibe of an enthusiastic rep company putting on a show in a provincial town - it was one step away from Panto (with even a panto style cast). I gave it a three because I think just getting Doctor Who on the air in those times was a triumph and its easy for me to be sniffy given todays amazing offerings.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 11:51:35 am »

I voted 3/5, though it was very nearly a two. Whilst I don't hate the story as much as many do, I do think it has an awful lot of flaws, probably way too many to overlook or ignore. As Chris says above, there was a definate panto feel to it which also didn't help. Some of the acting, even for the era, was particularly bad and the accents were absolutely awful. It wasn't without its good points though. Sylvester McCoy puts in a great performance and some of the plot details were actually quite interesting, even if not brilliantly realised.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 05:35:05 pm »

Weirdly I think this was one of the first classics I ever watched... Not sure why I picked this one when I did, just that the name sounded kind of cool...

On rewatch though I don't remember it being so... Weird... I mean it was okay, and had I not have now watched some more classics I guess I would still rate it more highly but I don't know. I guess I liked it, but like others those accents are terrible and I agree with PP some of the plot details are pretty good Smiley So I'm gonna go for a 4.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 09:14:03 pm »

I am giving this a three. I like the story but it was let down by some very dodgy acting, some even dodgier accents and some rough plot points. Like a lot of the stories from the era there was a great premise but it wasn't built upon as well as it could have been
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 04:02:10 pm »

Two - I actually liked this less than the first time around.  Confusing story, terrible acting, no character motivation.  At least Mel didn't scream quite as frequently as in Time & the Rani.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 02:08:57 pm »

Just a two from me this week. Never really liked this one too much. Everyone sounds silly, the woman playing Delta is more wooden than is acceptable even for Classic Who standards and the whole story seems like a bit of a random patchwork of bits and pieces that don't quite fit together as well as they should.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 12:32:44 pm »

I went with a four. For all it's ridiculousness, I actually quite enjoyed it. It was an easy watch that got into the story quickly and lasted little more than an hour. Yes there were parts that were so stupid you could claw your eyes out, but if you don't take it too seriously, which is pretty easy to do, then I think it is quite enjoyable.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: