The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 07:40:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Meglos

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
4/5 - Really Good - 0 (0%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 6 (54.5%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 4 (36.4%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 1 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Meglos  (Read 410 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: September 18, 2011, 12:59:57 pm »

Another week, another story. This week we return to the Fourth Doctor nearing the end of his tenure in the story Meglos.

On Tigella, two opposing faction are irrevocably divided over one fundamental issue: the Dodecahedron, a mysterious object which provides the entire planet's energy.

With the Savants and the Deons locked in a crippling stalemate, and their civilisation on the brink of collapse, the Tigellan leader, Zastor, seeks the Doctor's help. But the Doctor and Romana have been trapped aboard the TARDIS in a time loop by Meglos, the last of the Zolfa-Thurans, who will stop at nothing to steal back the awesome power of the Dodecahedron.

Meglos was the second serial of season eighteen of Doctor Who and so was the second serial in the Nathan-Turner era. It featured Jacqueline Hill's return to the program for the first time since The Chase in 1965.

The serial also afforded Tom Baker a chance to take on the both villainous and heroic roles in the same story, as had both Patrick Troughton and William Hartnell before him, and Peter Davison afterwards. (DW: The Enemy of the World, The Massacre, Arc of Infinity)

Meglos came into being after Bidmead purposely sought out Flanagan and McCulloch as new talent. Nathan-Turner was unimpressed with the ideas put forward and the serial had to be shuffled to various placements in the season, largely because it didn't feature Adric.

Behind the scenes, Meglos was highly innovative for being the British Broadcasting Corporation's first use of Scene Sync, a motion control technology that improved the believability of composited shots that used CSO. In the end, it would turn out to be the only Doctor Who serial to avail itself of that technology.

Enjoy the story. The next one will be posted Sunday 25th September.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:52:59 pm »

I shall watch today. I watched when it was released on DVD but not rewatched so it will be good to see again. I wasn't massively keen before but perhaps a rewatch will change that.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 04:35:32 pm »

I'm quite on the fence with it so I went with a 3. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. The script was pretty dodgy at times and Tom Baker seemed like he really couldn't be bothered. On the plus side though it was great to see Jaqueline Hill back in the show.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:33:44 pm »

I went with a three. The story is fun at times and kind of romp-ish with some good performances, but it is let down by a script that often doesn't make sense and some very bad effects. Oh and the Jungle set was really awful. Not a great story, but not the worst either
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:18:04 pm »

Don't think I will be able to watch until Thursday this week but I will definately try and fit it in as soon as.

We need more people watching again. When we started there were loads but its dwindled in the last few weeks.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 04:23:02 pm »

I went with one. I really ain't keen on this story at all. It has it's moments, but there are about three in the whole story. It was great to see Jaqueline Hill back on the show but other than that I don't really have any positives.
Report Spam   Logged
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 12:47:14 pm »

I'm not keen on this story either. I have gone with a three because I thought some of the performances were great, but it felt a bit of a step back compared to the rest of the season and overall wasn't that great.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 08:59:48 pm »

This has never been a particular favourite of mine but at the same I have never really felt that it is as bad as some people would have you think. I definately agree with TS that it does feel a little bit of a step back because I think this story would have worked better in the one or two series that came before it and didn't really fit with the rest of the season. It wasn't particularly well made either, but it did have it's good points and of course brought Jackie Hill back to the show which could never be sniffed at.
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:00:04 pm »

I went with a 3 btw Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 04:47:50 pm »

Sadly, this was typical of the later day "Who by Numbers" that Tom Baker churned out towards the end of his tenure. I gave it a three because it had some reasonable moments and I there were times when, watching it all the way through, I found myself quite liking it. It was, however, a story about a menacing Cactus and this means its appeal was always going to be limited. IMHO it was criminal to bring back Jacqueline Hill as anything other than Barbara and the whole things just looks a bit shonky. Not the best, not the worst, just middle of the road (and that is a terrible thing to write about any creative endeavour). 
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 11:56:41 pm »

Just a two from me this time around. I wasn't really a fan before and it didn't get any better on rewatch. Jacqueline Hill was brilliant, but I agree with others that she shouldn't have returned to the show as any character other than Barbara.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 11:56:54 pm »

Just a two from me this time around. I wasn't really a fan before and it didn't get any better on rewatch. Jacqueline Hill was brilliant, but I agree with others that she shouldn't have returned to the show as any character other than Barbara.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 12:14:11 pm »

I really wasn't keen on this story. I have liked all the Tom Baker stories so far, but this one just wasn't very good. I found it quite jarring having Barbara in there not being Barbara and the story, particularly the angry cactus, just wasn't very good.
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 12:14:26 pm »

I voted a two
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 04:44:58 pm »

Well that was different. Dodgy sets, dodgy effects, dodgy story and some shocking acting. I can't say I was overly impressed with it. It had a couple of highlights but not really enough to make me say I 'like' it. I went with a 2 because I don't think it quite deserved a one, but it was a very low two.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 05:35:33 pm »

I decided to be generous and give it a 3, mainly because Jacqueline Hill was as brilliant as she always was.  The crew of baddies were ridiculous, the society portrayed was unconvincing, and Meglos was... well, a cactus.  And the Earthling - what was that about? 
Report Spam   Logged

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 01:45:52 am »

Two from me. Not one of the very worst, but pretty feeble. There were a few interesting ideas in there, and Jacqueline Hill was brilliant (although, like everyone else, I'd have much preferred to have seen her as Barbara), but the whole thing just feels half-hearted, and Tom Baker gives possibly his worst ever performance.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 01:20:19 am »

and Tom Baker gives possibly his worst ever performance.

Twice
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: