The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 05:53:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

A Series Without Companions

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Series Without Companions  (Read 178 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: September 18, 2011, 02:46:00 pm »

Based on the Doctors reaction in this latest episode to what happens when he takes people with him, do you think it is likely, or would even work, to have a series where the Doctor travels alone, perhaps having a 'specials' style companion of the week as apposed to a regular team in the TARDIS?

Based on his comments in TGC, I think it would be odd for him to be so concerned about the welfare of the people he travels with, but yet go and pick someone new up as soon as he has dropped the latest ones off. That being said though, he has always known the risks and it has still never stopped him bringing in new people whenever he has the chance.

What do you think?
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:54:59 pm »

They tried this with the last few stories of David Tennant's era - but they did that with a specific plan in mind. The isolation followed by redemption. Not sure if it is worth treading this path again.

For what its worth, my opinion is that in Nu-Who they sometimes dig a little too deeply into the role of the companion. There was never this navel gazing in the original show - find a game old gal, whack her in the TARDIS (not a euphemism) and get weaving with some good adventures. How hard can it be?
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:01:25 pm »

Sometimes?
Sometimes?  Grin
It's all they ever fricking do in No Who lol!
Report Spam   Logged

Slfriend79
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: The 4th
Favourite Companion: Sarah Jane Smith

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 04:35:21 pm »

Maybe he could be without a companion for the rest of this series, but I wish the next series it would go back to the Doctor and one companion again.
Report Spam   Logged

"It may be irrational of me, but human beings are quite my favorite species."- Tom Baker As 'Doctor Who'
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 06:38:46 pm »

I wouldn't want a whole series without a companion, but as VA said, make it more straightforward.  I don't mind having more than one companion (it mostly worked in the classic series) but not a couple.  It was worth doing once, but something else now.  The kind of vibe we had between the Doctor, Jamie and Zoe would work well, I think.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 09:57:31 pm »

It could be interesting but it would potentially be really annoying seeing what could be great companions leaving each week. I think it would also make the series seem quite choppy and uneven. It worked for the specials because there were only 4 and were quite spread out, but for a long series I wouldnt be as keen on the idea.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 12:32:51 pm »

Maybe he could be without a companion for the rest of this series, but I wish the next series it would go back to the Doctor and one companion again.

Really? I have always preferred there to be more than one. I always preferred it in the classic series and do again with the new series. I think that is something that would have worked well in earlier stories since the revival. I don't want another couple though. A nice platonic relationship with perhaps a little flirting like Ben and Polly or Jamie and Zoe. Something like that.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:10:16 pm »

Really? I have always preferred there to be more than one. I always preferred it in the classic series and do again with the new series. I think that is something that would have worked well in earlier stories since the revival. I don't want another couple though. A nice platonic relationship with perhaps a little flirting like Ben and Polly or Jamie and Zoe. Something like that.

I agree. Though would you say Ben and Polly were flirtatious? I always felt they had more of a brother/sister thing going on. But anyway, yea, I would rather have more than one companion in the TARDIS, which I think is probably likely given that Moff has said a few times he hates just having the one, so you never know. I would rather it be strictly platonic though. Let's keep it about the adventures and not the private lives of the companions.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:50:42 pm »

I wouldnt like to have a series without companions. It was ok for the specials because they were spread out and not that great anyway, but for a week in, week out series I would much rather have a constant.

I also like there being more than one companion.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:22:39 pm »

I don't think I would like this very much. The Doctor always gets a bit odd when he has no companions around. Look at Ten for example. I wouldnt want to see Eleven go down that route so I think it's better to have the companions around
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 09:47:45 pm »

Maybe for one story or something between companions but I wouldn't like a whole series without companions.
Report Spam   Logged
Miss Wright
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/One

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 04:43:25 am »

I would hate not having companions!!!! And I love that this season there has been more than one. That is one of my favorite things about OldWho, and I love it when they make it work in NewWho too.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: