The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 07:16:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Faster than light?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faster than light?  (Read 67 times)
RedHairedGrrlGeek
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River Song

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Topic Starter Level 1 10 Posts
« on: September 23, 2011, 02:41:20 pm »

Just wondered what anyone thought of this...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/22/faster-than-light-particles-neutrinos

Shocked Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:47:00 pm »

Ah well being a 'science geek'  Embarrassed and having struggled my way through AS physics last year I've very much learnt that if something new comes along in physics stuff they just create a new law to make it work! Tongue

Nah I mean Einstein's theory of relativity is such a complex and fascinating thing which even after 3 years of trying to make sense of it I still can't and many physicists still can't understand it to it's full extent!

A little sad I'm not doing physics any more  otherwise this would have been an amazing discussion to have with my physics teacher, but I'll ask my dad (physics geek) to see what he thinks about it later... But Yeah I definitely think that it could be a turning point in physics... I mean this and the recent thought that the theory of dark matter isn't right certainly show for me that there is so much more to discover when it comes to our universe - hence why I'm so looking forward to *hopefully* studying science at uni  Grin Grin

Sorry I ranted on...  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 12:58:10 am »

I love stuff like this. I understand very little about it in all honestly but I think it's all really interesting. It's little finds like this that lead to more interesting developments down the line. We may all be whizzing around in TARDIS's after all Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

RedHairedGrrlGeek
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River Song

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 1 10 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:32:01 am »

Oh, if we get working time travel, the fun part will be who gets to try and stop people from going round altering the timeline willy-nilly.   (My mother met my father as an evacuee during WWII, so if anyone actually succeeds in bumping off Hitler...'bye, folks.)

Stephen Hawking must be rather worried...he's been claiming for years that time travel must be impossible simply because he doesn't like paradoxes.   They're checking the results very carefully now, but who knows?
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 01:13:10 pm »

It's so possible, Einstein's theory of relativity states that nothing can travel than the speed of light, and as the get closer and closer to the speed of light the object travelling that fast gets infinitely heavy so the chances of that actually happening and time travel actually happening are so slim, but like in the theory of relativity when it was first put forward with to two atomic clocks, the one that was sent round the world in Concorde was either either faster or slower (can't remember which way round) it was proving Einstein's theory that things appear slower the faster you go. Like someone who maybe spent their life piloting Concorde would potentially age at a slower rate (but only a very very tiny amount) to someone who wasn't in Concorde... SOOO the bottom of all that is just showing that time travel is actually possible and we can achieve it just with the theory of relativity, but this new discovery could be a turning point in physics stuff....  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeez I must have just sounded like such a geek just then... Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: