The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 03:11:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Matt Smith: A work in progress or WYSIWYG

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matt Smith: A work in progress or WYSIWYG  (Read 895 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: August 30, 2010, 07:26:42 pm »

Surely no incarnation of the Doctor can ever have polarised fandom like the current. Even Colin Baker didn't attract venom and plaudits in such measure. I have a personal theory that I would like to share - and I wonder if you agree. I think Moff saw MS as a work in progress, a rough diamond to be polished. A Doctor that we have to grow to like and who is finding his way. How could you follow DT? He was, for many people, the definitive iteration of the time lord. I certainly wouldn't have taken the job following him with all of the inherent comparisons. So Moff went to the other extreme and got a Doctor who is intriguing, promising but a little bit flawed and uncertain. I should also add that I firmly believe a different companion would have been of more help to a new Doctor (Amy didn't quite do it for me). But I enjoyed s5 for what it was and I thought some of MS's performances were genuinely good and actually quite endearing. The majority of the stories were interesting, perhaps a little too Earth-centric but thats credit crunch Britain for you. Hope this makes sense and you can see my reasoning - even if you don't agree
Report Spam   Logged

Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 07:34:21 pm »

Not sure if Moff saw him as a project.  I know Smith has said he wasn't his Doctor to develop but for those who liked Smith's portrayal, most say that he nailed it from the start whereas not even Eccleston and Tennant did from the first few episodes.  I think Smith has definitely shown the 'old man in a young man's body' very well, where I'm not sure you got that so much from Eccleston or Tennant.  With the latter, it felt like a 38 year old speaking.

I think most of the actors who have portrayed the Doctor have grown into the role and Smith will be no different. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
BlueRose

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 07:36:45 pm »

Not sure if Moff saw him as a project.  I know Smith has said he wasn't his Doctor to develop but for those who liked Smith's portrayal, most say that he nailed it from the start whereas not even Eccleston and Tennant did from the first few episodes.  I think Smith has definitely shown the 'old man in a young man's body' very well, where I'm not sure you got that so much from Eccleston or Tennant.  With the latter, it felt like a 38 year old speaking.

I think most of the actors who have portrayed the Doctor have grown into the role and Smith will be no different. Smiley

I rather disagree. While CE didn't do the old man well, I thought DT nailed it perfectly with his eyes to the point of being creepy. That's actually what drew me towards watching the show.
Report Spam   Logged
13th Doctor
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Level 1
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:46:01 pm »

I don't know that others haven't really polarised fandom. There are alot of people who don't like the JNT era for example. I've been a fan for awhile and pretty much everytime there's a new Doctor, this happens. I think Chris fit pretty good right from the start but I think the stories for David's first season were a little weak in spots. I also think that Rose fit 9 better than 10 but 10 became better once he had new companions and really clicked with both Donna and Wilfred. Just my 2 cents.
Report Spam   Logged
gabbie
Hatchling

Tardis cat - Jack

View Profile
Poll Voter Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:20:20 am »

I know a lot of people are unhappy with the current series but I genuinely liked MS from The Eleventh Hour on. It was difficult stepping into David Tennant's shoes and I think Matt has done well.  I remember people thinking the same thing about Peter Davison, that he couldn't possibly be the Doctor after Tom Baker.  PD proved them wrong and made the Doctor his own Doctor.  I think Matt is doing the same. 
Report Spam   Logged

beans are evil. bad bad beans.
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 12:57:44 am »

I think Matt has done well, with some awful writing at times, Moffatt doesn't seem to rewrite episodes in the way RTD did to make sure they fit in with character development, hell he doesnt seem to care about character development at all.  Interestingly I loved Peter growing up but on rewatch I find him wooden and awful after Tom's total ownership of the role.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 01:39:38 am »

I'm one of those who thought Matt Smith nailed it from episode one.  I've been watching Doctor Who since the '70's, and it's always taken a new Doctor a while to grow on me.  Matt Smith had me from the get-go, and I thought he just got better with each episode.  I think he's a wonderful actor, and he's such a natural in the role.  I thought Eccleston was great, was very sad he only stayed one season, and I'm sorry, but I cannot stand David Tennant - he shouted too much and always had the same bug-eyed expression, no matter what emotion he was trying to act.  He could be funny at times but mostly he just grated on me.  I never believed for one second that he was a 900+ year old alien.  I hope Smith sticks around for a very long time.   
Report Spam   Logged
emerald567
Hatchling

View Profile WWW
Webmaster Second year Anniversary Multiple Badge Holder
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 03:14:45 am »

David Tennant had me from "Barcelona!"  Matt Smith's performance just hasn't resonated with me. I don't enjoy his Doctor particularly, although I think part of that is because of Karen Gillan's Amy. I like him more when she is not around.  It's hard to explain, because I don't think he is a bad actor necessarily, I just don't "feel" anything for Eleven.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth
emerald567
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 10:18:12 pm »

I rather disagree. While CE didn't do the old man well, I thought DT nailed it perfectly with his eyes to the point of being creepy. That's actually what drew me towards watching the show.

I'm afraid I have to side with Whistler. While DT did indeed capture the Doctor's advanced age with his eye's, it,took a few episodes before anyone looked closely enough to notice. Whereas MS captured the whole package in everything he said and did from the very first scene.

You could really see with MS's acting that, despite his youthful appearance and vigour, the Doctor was alot older than he seemed.

Sorry, but that's the way I see it.
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
awkward91
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 3 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:59:47 am »

Since when has MS received venom? It's been praise almost across the board from my perspective. And I luuurve him. Captivating from the very start. I just wish End of Time stopped while DT was regenerating and The Eleventh Hour missed out the pre-credits sequence. "Can I have an apple?" should have been his proper first line.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes impossible things happen and we call them miracles...
BlueRose

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 05:30:33 pm »

Since when has MS received venom?

From...well, a lot of people whom I know. Most of the people I interact with on Twitter alone can't stand him. I'm neutral--hate the new series, but I don't hate MS. But I don't find him anywhere near as likable as DT.
Report Spam   Logged
awkward91
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 06:08:23 pm »

Since when has MS received venom?

From...well, a lot of people whom I know. Most of the people I interact with on Twitter alone can't stand him. I'm neutral--hate the new series, but I don't hate MS. But I don't find him anywhere near as likable as DT.

How interest. Some people I've talked to haven't been so keen on series 5 (for some reason!) or his costume or things like that, but I thought he was generally very well-liked. I certainly haven't seen any media criticism levelled at him.
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 06:16:57 pm »

How interest. Some people I've talked to haven't been so keen on series 5 (for some reason!) or his costume or things like that, but I thought he was generally very well-liked. I certainly haven't seen any media criticism levelled at him.

I've seen the total reverse and as for the media...they're always positive no matter what.

Again, not a hater...I'm neutral. What little I've seen strikes me as being very Ten minus the charisma, so I'm on the fence for now.
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 06:29:55 pm »

i think MS was brilliant with the scripts he was provided with. Many people I know have slagged him off because they didnt like series 5 and not taken into consideration that fact that he can only do his best with the tools provided. When it comes to his performance I thought he was great. And I also think there is a whole lot more to him that we have yet to see.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
BlueRose

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 06:31:41 pm »

i think MS was brilliant with the scripts he was provided with. Many people I know have slagged him off because they didnt like series 5 and not taken into consideration that fact that he can only do his best with the tools provided. When it comes to his performance I thought he was great. And I also think there is a whole lot more to him that we have yet to see.

The scripts were awful, yes. I heard there were maybe one or two eps that stood out as good and rest were mediocre to wretched.

I saw The Big Bang and honestly...I thought Love and Monsters was better.

Please don't stone me; just my personal opinion. D:
Report Spam   Logged
GreenLemons
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 07:17:26 pm »

Well, I think Matt Smith is blooming wonderful. I think Mr Moff has done a brilliant job.
Report Spam   Logged

Beans are evil. Bad, bad beans.
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 07:32:57 pm »

I loved the series 5 scripts (at least most of them), and compared to some of the previous series (absorbaloffs, the Dobby Doctor, TARDIS towing Earth, etc) I thought this year was a huge step up.  I honestly don't understand the dislike of the scripts for series 5, but different strokes and all that.  I found series 2 so bad I came really close to not watching the show any more, and from someone who's been a fan since the 70's that was a big traumatic deal!  Sad  I've observed (and I don't know if this is universally true or not) that those who prefer the Doctor to be more manic and energetic (like Ten) don't care much for Eleven, and those (like me) who found Ten to be loud and annoying prefer the calmer 11th Doctor. 

Well, I think Matt Smith is blooming wonderful. I think Mr Moff has done a brilliant job.
  Ditto and ditto!!  Love 'em both!   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
awkward91
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 07:45:22 pm »

DAK, my thoughts almost exactly. Don't remind me about series 2...
Report Spam   Logged

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 10:44:30 pm »

I'm no Smith hater though some think I am, best thing about series 5, IMHO.  This show has always polarised it's fandom, more than even Star Trek (sorry for swearing) at times, and experience has shown me you can't really judge anything untill 10 + years later, I remember news groups (yes I am that old) stating McCoy as best Doctor ever.  I'm a McCoy defender, but time seems to have changed fandoms opinion.

ps I like the TARDIS towing the earth and the music from that scene is beautiful Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
BlueRose

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 10:48:57 pm »

I'm no Smith hater though some think I am, best thing about series 5, IMHO.  This show has always polarised it's fandom, more than even Star Trek (sorry for swearing) at times, and experience has shown me you can't really judge anything untill 10 + years later, I remember news groups (yes I am that old) stating McCoy as best Doctor ever.  I'm a McCoy defender, but time seems to have changed fandoms opinion.

And the media ALWAYS claims current Doctor is best ever. That's their job. Smiley

Also...I'm a huge Trekkie. Cheesy

ps I like the TARDIS towing the earth and the music from that scene is beautiful Tongue

I...laughed. And groaned. It was...where do I begin?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: