The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 10:52:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

X Factor v Doctor Who scheduling clash

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X Factor v Doctor Who scheduling clash  (Read 144 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: September 25, 2011, 12:41:25 pm »

Oh dear! I have seen unconfirmed rumours flying around Twitter that the season finale is being scheduled directly opposite X Factor. This might have serious implications for the Overnights and yet more grist to the mill for those who wish to see a decline in Doctor Who. The time shifted figures should still save it from a proper hammering, but still doesn't bode well - especially as the 2012 season is set to run in the autumn period and if they start putting it against X Factor regularly we could see real problems
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:04:38 pm »

The finale is on at 7.05pm which is pretty much where it's been for the whole of this run (give or take 5-10 mins). So if DW hasn't moved X Factor must have done (I don't watch X Factor so I have no idea what time it is normally on - so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong & it's always on at this time) - makes me wonder if ITV are worried about the Doctor Who/Merlin double bill.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:04:29 am »

This means the X Factor won't clash with that fascinating programme about paint drying, which is why I usually miss it.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 01:41:13 am »

It might only be my perception (and I am happy to be corrected) it seems to me like there has been a dearth of publicity and build up for this finale. As I write this on the Saturday morning, the BBC Website isn't featuring the show, I haven't seen many trailers for the show (though admittedly I don't watch a lot of BBC1). There use to be adverts on BBC Radio for Doctor Who and these have dried up.

Like I say, this might be my perception but it just strikes me as perhaps the BBC has given up on Doctor Who, accepting the bullying from the tabloids that the show is "too complex" and instead of looking at the very healthy time shifted figures, they are relying on the outdated overnights which show the show getting beaten by Family Fortunes.

And then, in the same week, we get news that Doctor Who Confidential has been cancelled. Now, I don't particularly mourn the show.. But perhaps the new brooms at the BBC have fallen out of love with the show - particularly as there is no longer a Julie Gardener to expertly navigate the corridors of power.

I must confess to being more than a little fearful for the future of the show.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 11:40:25 am »

I have seen an ad every time I've watched something on the BBC. And there is a radio advert doing the rounds because I've seen a link for it on Twitter. If I can find it I'll post it  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 03:25:34 pm »

That reassures me Smiley I'm not a big BBC watcher so I am heartened to hear they are plugging away - also the BBC Homepage now has a feature on it.

I think fear of cancellation is part of the DNA of Doctor Who fans Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 11:19:24 am »

I hardly watch TV  Shocked Shocked but all the time I have turned the TV on there has ALWAYS been a trailer for Who, so it isn't bad, plus there were loads of tweets going around through the week about it... Besides.... X-Factor , in my opinion is just pure torture!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 03:41:57 pm »

I have to admit I didn't see a single ad for it on TV in the run up, though I did see a couple of mentions in newspapers and magazines.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: