The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 01:29:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Confidential axed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confidential axed  (Read 597 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:25:33 pm »

Here is the report from The Guardian:

The BBC is to axe Doctor Who Confidential, the BBC3 spin-off from its sci-fi drama, as part of the corporation's ongoing cuts programme.

Doctor Who Confidential, which features behind-the-scenes footage from the making of Doctor Who as well as interviews with the cast and crew, has aired in an early evening slot on BBC3 since 2005, when the corporation revived the main series with Christopher Eccleston as the ninth Time Lord.

However, with the corporation facing budget cuts of up to 20% across its output as part of its "Delivering Quality First" initiative, BBC controller Zai Bennett has chosen to axe the show at the end of its current series.

Bennett is understood to be pursuing a strategy of focusing investment on original commissions in post-watershed time slots. Since taking over, he has decommissioned shows including Ideal, Hotter Than My Daughter, Coming of Age and long-running sitcom Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps.

Speaking last month at the MediaGuardian Edinburgh International Television Festival, Bennett said: "It's about focusing my budget on 9pm and 10pm; those are the time slots that count. Budgets are tight, so we have to be sensible with the money we have."

Mark Thompson, the BBC director general, will unveil the corporation's cost-cutting strategy – the outcome of the DQF process – on 6 October. It is thought to include proposals to exploit greater "synergies" between BBC1 and BBC3, with the digital channel acting as a "nursery slope" for its terrestrial cousin. BBC3 will also fill a greater proportion of its 7pm to 9pm slots with repeats of BBC1 shows.

A spokeswoman for the BBC said: "The Doctor Who spin-off series, Doctor Who Confidential, has been a great show for BBC3 over the years, but our priority now is to build on original British commissions, unique to the channel."

Source

I know some have you have said it's been a bit hit & miss of late, but how do you feel about this?
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:43:51 pm »

WHAT?! :O I love confidential! Although I don't watch it 'live' I record it to watch it when I have a few moments, but what?! Why?! This is stupid!! Sad I'm sad now Sad
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 05:14:25 pm »

Has anyone from the Doctor Who team said anything to confirm this? Seems a bit odd considering how highly it rated on the channel.
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:15:46 pm »

Yes it has been confirmed by the BBC Doctor Who site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_110928_01/Doctor_Who_Confidential_The_Finale

Amd also by DWC producer Zoe Rushton on Twitter.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:52:07 pm »

I wonder if they will still make them anyway for the DVDs. For the most part its just on set interviews anyway and the cutdowns are only short so it should be doable. They take up the main bulk of the extra features on the DVDs so if they don't do something similar then they will surely have to replace them with something to justify the cost
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 08:55:26 pm »

I read about this today. So annoying. Let's hope they come up with something decent for the DVDs.

In fairness though, Confidential has been quite hit and miss the last 2 or three years anyway with nothing really new in it
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 10:09:26 pm »

I haven't really watched since Tennant left.
Like the others say, it's hit or miss - mostly miss really - so doesn't really bother me, although there are many MANY more deserving shows on BBC3 to swing the axe at.

I find it puzzling mainly due to how successful Who is. Mostly I liked seeing the table readings.
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 10:54:51 pm »

It is a shame but it's not a particularly big loss. I imagine that there will be lots of reports now about how the show is in danger.
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 11:09:34 pm »

There is a twitter campain to save it. Has over 5000 followers so far.

http://twitter.com/SaveDWC
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:35:41 pm »

I enjoy it when they do it well, but it's getting a bit repetitive.  I'm not devastated.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 08:39:02 pm »

I enjoy it when they do it well, but it's getting a bit repetitive.  I'm not devastated.

I feel exactly the same. There has been an outcry on my twitter feed but actually, IMHO, Confidential was always a "nice to have" as it kept the Doctor Who vibe going for another 45 minutes. I have to say I've found them a little dull - the only interesting one was when the new Doctor was announced (DT to MS). The "Making of" extras on the DVDs are much more interesting as they give the proper juicy gossip (Confidential didn't tell us about Ecclestone's blow up on the set of WWT/AOL).

So i think my opinion is.. Ah well, it was nice while it lasted.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 08:41:06 pm »

It is a shame but it's not a particularly big loss. I imagine that there will be lots of reports now about how the show is in danger.

I think - with some justification - people might ask if this is the beginning of the end of the show. I have to say, i think it says more about the health of BBC3 rather than the health of Doctor Who (Who is still a massive money spinner for BBC Worldwide where as BBC3 is a money loser and doesn't have the arty cache of BBC4).
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 12:47:20 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 08:55:04 pm »

Well, at least the grievances got an airing! It looks like this is a done deal and having seen the cuts that the BBC are having to make across the board I am not surprised. I would actually be amazed if there is still a BBC3 in five years time!
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 03:51:03 pm »

Moff has said this:

It seems hard to grasp. All shows have their time, and all shows end, but not, in all sanity, while people still watch and love them, and going by the numbers and the outcry, this show was watched and loved everywhere. I’m not supposed to say it, but I’m going to anyway: bad day, bad decision. I know these are strained times. I know we’re all at sea and the night is colder - but you don’t start burning the lifeboats to keep warm. Or to put it another way, you might want to think about the future if you’re planning to live there.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 11:50:20 am »

The Controller of BBC 3 has been talking about the changes to their line up. This is mainly about The Fades but DWC does get a mention so it is worth a read: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-fades/22447/why-the-fades-and-doctor-who-confidential-were-cancelled
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 07:38:09 pm »

I know this has been well trodden (and I wasn't particularly a fan of confidential) but that isn't much of a rationale. I know "They make X and that is rubbish" isn't much of an argument, but you have to look at some of the output of BBC3 and ask .... WHY!!???!!!
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 07:51:30 pm »

Well apparently you & I shouldn't even be watching BBC3 Chris ... we're too old! Shame one of my absolute favourite TV shows is on there huh?

I really dislike demographics for targeting TV channels & shows. We don't all fit into nice little boxes like that.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 07:57:03 pm »

Well apparently you & I shouldn't even be watching BBC3 Chris ... we're too old! Shame one of my absolute favourite TV shows is on there huh?

I really dislike demographics for targeting TV channels & shows. We don't all fit into nice little boxes like that.

I have to admit that apart from The Fades, Being Human and Confidential I really didn't watch BBC3 - couldn't get out of my walk-in bath and down the Stanner Stair-lift to change the channel. It was all different in my day Wink
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 10:32:10 pm »

I have to admit that apart from The Fades, Being Human and Confidential I really didn't watch BBC3 - couldn't get out of my walk-in bath and down the Stanner Stair-lift to change the channel. It was all different in my day Wink

LOL  Grin

To be fair I don't watch much on there either, but it still bugged me. Too old ... by one year!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: