The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 10:56:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Pip & Jane Baker

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pip & Jane Baker  (Read 800 times)
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« on: September 28, 2011, 05:49:23 pm »

They have a reputation amongst Who fandom for being awful writers, but is it really fair? This wasn't an amazing story but it was pretty good and Terror of the Vervoids was ok, but then we have The Ultimate Foe and Time and the Rani, both of which are absolutely AWFUL! IMO, anyway.

What are your thoughts on the writing duo?
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 11:43:09 am »

I thought they had written more DW stories than that?!?

Outside of DW, as far as I am aware I have never seen any of their work, so I can only base their reputation on what they did for this show, but I don't think they were particularly great writers. This story was great and they did a half decent job on TUF, which doesnt say a lot because it was still awful, but on the whole I have to say I am not overly impressed with their output.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:45:52 pm »

They had a tendency to write lines that probably looked great on paper, but just never quite sounded like realistic dialogue when spoken aloud. This story, for me, was by far their best, and it still had a few lines like that.

As for their other stories:
Terror Of The Vervoids is reasonably good, although far from great.
The Ultimate Foe is awful, although with all the chaos that was going on with the scripts for that season it's far from entirely their fault, and it's quite impressive they managed to make it make as much sense as it did.
Time & The Rani didn't really work as a new Doctor story. It had been written for Colin Baker then re-written for the (as yet uncast) new Doctor. If Baker hadn't been sacked I suspect it would've worked out much better than it did, although that doesn't excuse how bad the writing for the new-Doctor scenes was. (plus it would still have looked pretty awful, although you can't blame them for that)

So, no, Pip & Jane Baker are far from being among DW's best writers. The Mark Of The Rani is still a good story though.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 11:06:15 am »

This is the only one of their stories that I have seen, I think, and I quite like this. I wasn't aware that there was any particular bad rep attached to them but I suppose my opinion might change when we get to their other stories.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 08:44:00 pm »

I wouldnt really hold them to blame over TUF because they didn't have a good deal to work with and it was already awful to start with. This was definately their best story though.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 09:47:58 pm »

I wouldn't particularly say they were good writers, but I do think they are good storytellers. The stories they have written haven't been great but they haven't been totally awful either. It's the scripting of the stories, I think, where they stumble.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 08:24:19 pm »

I didn't know they had a bad reputation to be honest. I don't think any of their stories are particularly great but I don't think they were awful enough for them to be so slagged of amongst fandom. I just did some Googling and some of the stuff written about them is particularly harsh. There have been far worse writing/writers throughout the run I think.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 02:26:17 am »

The only one I'd really rate as awful was Time & the Rani.  The Ultimate Foe was a mess but, as PP said, that wasn't entirely their fault.  The other two I'd rate as not great, but enjoyable stories.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: