The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 16, 2024, 10:46:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Unanswered questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unanswered questions  (Read 207 times)
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: October 02, 2011, 10:08:23 am »

I was disappointed at how many loose ends there still were at the end of this episode.  Steven Moffat promised to answer all but one, so maybe I'm just thick?  I haven't watched the Confidential yet, but I shouldn't have to, right?  OK, here are things I still don't get:

1. Who blew up the TARDIS last season, and why?  Yes, I still want to know that.
2. Whose voice was that on the TARDIS saying "Silence will fall"? 
3. A lot I still don't understand about River's background - at the end of AGMGTW the Doctor said he knew where to find Melody, and River said he'd care for her no matter what.  So the Doctor found her and seemingly cared for her ("he cradled her and rocked her"), and then what... he turned her back over to the Silence?  He certainly didn't take her to her parents.  He didn't raise her in Leadworth with Amy and Rory. 
4. How did the Tesselecta Doctor give off regeneration energy?  It was a robot!!
5. Where was the Doctor's TARDIS in TIA?  Did they just all just get into that car and cruise around, and nobody wondered where the TARDIS was?
6. The River in the suit that said "Hello Sweetie" was a future River who re-wrote time?  I'm not getting how she suddenly got control over the suit.
7. What happened during those 32 minutes in LKH where the Doctor was dying, and why was he in the tails and top hat outfit he was wearing in "The Big Bang" from last season? 
8. Why does the Doctor think River won't remember committing murder, when clearly she does in "Time of Angels"? 

Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 04:51:17 pm »

Well, as far as #4's concerned, I wondered about that but concluded it was probably a fake effect.  I have quite a few others, though.

9. At what point was Amy kidnapped and replaced by the ganger?
10. How did they escape in the warehouse?
11. What happened in the three months between TIA & DotM?
12. How did Melody go from regenerating as a child in 1969 to growing up in Leadworth in the 90s & 00s?
13. How and when did Amy get a job modelling cosmetics named after something that would become important to her later?
14. And I still want to know (though I doubt they'll return to it now) who was the mysterious Time Lady stalking Wilf? (The three obvious answers are Susan, Romana and the Doctor's mother, but that's just guesswork).

I'm leaving aside Amy and Rory's parenting attitude and the fact Mels was never mentioned before LKH, because I'm assuming they're poor writing, rather than unanswered questions.

One possible answer for #13 is that Amy's already telepathically linked to the TARDIS, who we know is aware of things from the future, so maybe she was unconsciously influenced.
Report Spam   Logged

DAK
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 06:50:38 pm »

9 - 12, yes yes yes!!  I'd like to know those too. 

#13, "Closing Time" happened well after he dropped Amy and Rory back home, didn't it?  So she'd already been the 'girl who waited' for a long time.

And I thought of another one - why does River keep telling people (well, Rory and the Doctor) that their lives are back to front; his firsts are her lasts?  She believes that kiss in DotM is their last, but after they "marry" she seems to have a lot of adventures with him that go in the right time order.  When and why do their timelines reverse?

Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 11:53:04 am »

The majority of those I think we are meant to assume the answers to, rather than them ever being played out on screen. Like the stuff with the TARDIS blowing up. I think we are meant to just assume it was all done by the Silents, but I guess we probably will never know for sure. Most of the questions seem like guesswork. There is nothing (at least nothing that is coming to me now) that really jumps out at me as 'unanswered' because I think some of it is just meant to be.

As for the woman in white from TEOT, RTD said he wrote the character specifically as the Doctor's mother and that is who she is, but he purposefully didn't say so on screen because if people want to believe it is Susan or Romana or whoever else, then it lets them, but the intention was that it was his mother. By not saying it on screen it leaves it open to debate, but he said it was his mum so that's just what I always believe. There really isn't a need to argue it I guess. It's all in his book.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:42:27 am »

I think, as Aneurin has said, that the majority of these are meant to just be left open for the viewer to make their mind up about. It could be that they are answered later or it could be that these things haven't even occurred to Moff.

The only question that is sort of niggling at me is the perfume one. It could just be that Amy has made a name for herself and that is all we need to know, but it just seemed like there was more to it. It was just so random.
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 05:01:48 pm »

Number 8 on Daks list is something that occured to me. The Doctor stated twice that River won't remember but then at the end she said she lied about not knowing who was in the space suit, so she must have known all along.
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 12:22:54 pm »

Number 8 on Daks list is something that occured to me. The Doctor stated twice that River won't remember but then at the end she said she lied about not knowing who was in the space suit, so she must have known all along.

I think that was probably a mistake rather than her lying.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
DAK
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 04:43:54 am »

Yep, she specifically mentions lying about not recognizing the spacesuit in Florida.  That must be so weird, having memories of seeing your future self, and then actually living the event.  She could have run after the girl after she escaped the spacesuit (since she knew where she'd gone) and changed her whole past.   
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 01:31:39 pm »

It really doesn't make sense for her to have known though. Why would she actually shoot at herself in the spacesuit on the beach if she knew it was her? She was obviously taking proper aim because after shooting about six bullets she suddenly realises 'oh, of course not', which makes sense if you know its you in the suit, but doesn't make sense if you are actually trying to shoot yourself down. Her aim isn't that bad obviously, she shot the Doctors hat off his head without harming him. And look at her reaction to going to the diner and seeing the Doctor alive and how angry she was. Surely she wouldn't have been if she knew all along that that was how it was going to play out. Its way too inconsistent. I think even Moff is having trouble keeping up with himself and trying to make it make sense.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: