The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 08:19:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Two Series On...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Series On...  (Read 144 times)
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: October 04, 2011, 12:15:15 pm »

Moff has been at the reigns for two whole series now, but is he getting it right for you, or are you itching to get him out of the job?

I am still finding myself a bit unsure of him to be honest. I was starting to think perhaps it was time he moved on but then he pulled out that finale and sort of hinted that things were going to change all over again, which makes me want to see what he does next.

The problem I have with Moffat is that if there is one thing bigger than this show, it's his ego. He writes in such a way that it always seems like he is trying to outdo himself and confuse the audience to the point where people go 'wow, I can't believe he thought of that', but then in doing so he seems to have gotten himself stuck in a rut where he is telling the same timey wimey story over and over again, just in a different setting with different characters. If he would only realise that a brilliant story can be told with a beginning, middle and end without all the time jumping stuff, then he would be well on his way to writing even better stories, but it feels a bit like he gets so wrapped up in trying to make some of his plots seem totally out there that many of them end up making little sense or leaving huge gaping plot holes, and so its as though he thinks if he confuses us all enough with the timey wimey, we just won't notice. He can write some brilliant character stuff and he can tell an awesome story, but he just needs to calm it down a bit and tell the story instead of trying to be too clever

I have enjoyed the past two series', but I think we need a lot less arc and a lot less timey wimey going forward.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:05:33 pm »

I have a huge respect for Moff as a writer, but I'm not over the moon about the ultra-plot-arc thing he's been doing.  On the other hand, the end of this episode suggests that he's planning on moving to a simpler style, and I'd certainly want to give him the chance to do that.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:16:13 am »

If he goes back to telling his individual stories next series without all the confusing plots and arcs that new and casual viewers can't keep up with, then I think he could be on to a winner. He is a great story teller, but he is bogging down the show by overcomplicating things.
Report Spam   Logged
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 03:23:09 am »

I've loved the arc aspect of his tenure, but if he's not going to wrap up the plot holes as he promised then I wish he wouldn't do them. 
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 11:16:38 am »

I still love the Moff, but I have to admit I am pretty fed up of having to explain the whole story arc thing every time my friend misses an episode, it's pure torture, so in that sense I think he is perhaps excluding people in his stories now, but I still really really enjoy his writing and I love the whole 'timey wimey' stuff!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 03:37:10 pm »

I've loved the arc aspect of his tenure, but if he's not going to wrap up the plot holes as he promised then I wish he wouldn't do them. 

Maybe he is leaving them open for next year?
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 04:17:14 pm »

I'm not a fan of the big long arcs to be honest so I would be more than happy to see a return to individual stories. As for Moff I think he started off really well with series 5 but I think it took a bit of a dip with the latest season. We all know he has it in him to produce an excellent show but he tends to get a bit wrapped up in the timey wimey stuff. If he gace that a break I think it would be better.
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 12:38:59 pm »

I have enjoyed the run so far. I don't think series 6 was as strong as series 5, but it wasn't far behind. I would like to see Moff concentrate more on the stories going forward instead of thinking up ways to make things more confusing and timey wimey. It feels a little as though he thinks the more jumbled up a story or timeline is, the better it makes it, and at first perhaps he was right. Look at stories like Fireplace or Blink and how well they worked, but all these stories down the line it is just feeling overdone and tired and I think more often than not now it is getting in the way of good stories. If he could just tone that stuff down, put more emphasis back onto the Doctor and the adventures and stop laying the arcs on so thick he could be writing some of the best Who in years, if not ever. We can see over the last two years that the potential is there just trying to get out, it's just too bogged down with him trying to be clever all the time.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 08:25:23 pm »

Maybe he is leaving them open for next year?

Except he said they'd all be wrapped up this season.  He said only one question would be left unanswered, and I think it's obvious that question is "Doctor Who?" 
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 02:04:45 pm »

I was reading an interview with Moff the other day where he said that his DW will never again be as arc heavy as it was this year. I'm not sure if that was his plan all along or if it is down to audience response, but I am glad. Small arcs and connections are fine and I like them, but this year it didn't feel as though they were off on adventures. Everything was linked to the bigger arc so it was as though there was an ulterior motive behind each story. I also think, as much as I love them, that there was way too much focus on the companions. I think Moff is a great writer and I have enjoyed what he has done with the show, but I would like him to reign it in a bit now and just tell good individual stories.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: