The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 04:05:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Changing The Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing The Doctor  (Read 397 times)
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« on: October 11, 2011, 01:58:06 pm »

I think this story marks the first real turning point for the Doctors character. I know it was early on in the run but after these events he really had no choice but to soften to Ian and Barbara more and learn to trust them. It was also the first time that he acknowledged that he had in fact been wrong about something. He seemed to actually take the opportunity to learn something from the people he travelled with instead of just assuming he always knew best. For me, this is where I really started to like the Doctor a lot more. It was still take a long time for him to completely soften and become less of a grumpy old miser but this I think was the turning point for the character and the root of why he ended up being so popular with children of the time.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:48:43 am »

I agree.  He was quite sinister in An Unearthly Child, and childish and irresponsible in The Daleks.  Besides learning a bit of humility, the scene with Barbara at the end is really the first time he shows his charm.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:13:10 pm »

One of the good things about the First Doctor, perhaps more than every other, is that he changed quite considerably in nearly every story. I think partly it was the writers finding the character but at the same time I think that it was important to the show. We couldn't have had him acting as he did in An Unearthly Child for his whole run and he needed to soften and become more likeable so that he didn't continuously feel as though he was outside of the main team. I've always really liked the way that you see him develop throughout his tenure.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:52:51 pm »

I definately agree with Peri. I remember the first time I watched the First Doctor I hated him. He really wound me up. But the more I watched the more I saw him develop and now I absolutely love the first Doctor. He is one of my favourites. Its always nice to notice the changes in character, but in this story you can really see it happening and the difference it makes. Its great.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Miss Wright
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/One

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:13:04 am »

It is really easy to forget that the Doctor wasn't really very old yet. In Time Crash(i think) Ten said that when he was young he tried to act old. That is the coolest thing about One in my opinion, that he didn't just change, he grew up.
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 12:46:29 pm »

It is really easy to forget that the Doctor wasn't really very old yet. In Time Crash(i think) Ten said that when he was young he tried to act old. That is the coolest thing about One in my opinion, that he didn't just change, he grew up.

The problem with this comment though is that it only really works with the benefit of hindsight. When the First Doctor stories were being written and airing he was just a very old alien/man. There was no such thing as regens or whatever and so they weren't writing for him as a character who was growing up and maturing. Now that we have a whole history to work through it works and fits nicely, but back then I think it was more a case of just developing the character and giving more sides to him.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 10:54:27 am »

I sort of agree with above, though at the same time it sort of fits in with a post I just made in another thread. I don't think that at the time it meant anything more that looking at the Doctor and making him more three dimensional, but now with the opportunity to look back over many years of history we are in a position to make it seem like it was all intentional and fits the larger story, but at the time I really don't think it was.
Report Spam   Logged

Miss Wright
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/One

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 05:29:46 am »

I agree entirely with the both of you, although I'm not really sure that it matters  that it wasn't intended that way, since it makes sense now.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: