The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 04:10:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Father's Day

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 7 (31.8%)
4/5 - Really Good - 8 (36.4%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 5 (22.7%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 2 (9.1%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Father's Day  (Read 1006 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: September 23, 2010, 09:25:43 pm »

Not sure if this is in the right section, so sorry if it isnt

So anyways, last Friday my series one box set turned up and I have been making my way through it. I was told to look out for this episode and I have just finished it.

OH MY GOD

I loved it. I was in floods of tears for so much of it. Such a touching story and brilliantly written. Was good to see what happens when they go back into their own lives as apposed to just helping others. Rose's mum was superb once again and played it brilliantly at the open and close, showing a much more subdued version of the character we have seen so far. I am leaving the last few episodes for a marathon run at the weekend, but I just had to come and say how superb I thought this story was. I was going to add a photo to this thread from the episode but couldnt work out how Tongue

So is this a popular episode amongst fandom? I know im 5 years late striking up this conversation but I just loved it
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:05:12 pm »

It wasn't in the right section as it's New Who not Classic - but that's fine as you can see we are able to move it.

I too like this ep, but then I like most eps of DW that I've seen (there are a few that I like a little less than others but that's going to be the case with whatever you watch I guess).

Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:09:05 pm »

I do like this Ep and there are lots of bits I love....but its not one of my favourites.... by a mile
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:09:18 pm »

I absolutely loved Father's Day Smiley and I know just what it is like when you find a great story and you want to share. Thats why I like this place - doesn't matter if its 5 mins or 5 years - when you find a story that works its the best feeling in the world.

It was written by Paul Cornell who also wrote Human Nature/Family of Blood and if Moff decides that Hollywood is beckoning and leaves Dr Who, then you couldn't go far wrong with Mr Cornell and his wonderful, subtle but brilliant brand of storytelling to helm the show.

I'm not sure if its a popular show in fandom - but I like it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:22:24 pm »

Oh I love FD too. Such a great episode and very touching. Not a massive fan of Pete on the whole though
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:37:37 pm »

I also loved this episode!  One of my favorites from Series 1. 
Report Spam   Logged
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 02:05:02 pm »

I'm with PopRockGeek on this one. I like pretty much all the DW episodes I've seen (some more than others). But FD was and is definitely one of my favourites
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 02:12:39 pm »

I really wish that Simon Pegg had been free to play Pete as it was originally intended Sad  Due to the age difference between him and Billie I can see that there would have been problems including him in the later episodes, but then again the show would have been better without so many domestic settings imo anyway Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 07:05:08 pm »

I have a bit of a L/H thing with Simon Pegg. Im glad he didnt have a bigger role in the show than he did, but didnt overly love the Pete we got either
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 11:58:36 pm »

I wasn't happy with the role he ended up with in the end, I think that's the only character of his I haven't enjoyed Sad
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 12:29:19 am »

Love Father's Day.  Very poignant.  And understated, which sums up Nine's tenure.

(PS.  Still rate his regeneration over Ten's...)
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 12:31:50 am »

Comparing the two really puts it in perspective:

Before I go, I just want to tell you: you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And do you know what? So was I!

Vs

I dont wanna go

Tongue

On the Simon Pegg topic, I hated The Editor
Report Spam   Logged

Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 12:40:21 am »

Before I go, I just want to tell you: you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And do you know what? So was I!

Vs

I dont wanna go

Tongue

Exactly, going out on a high, no self-pity but rejoicing in who he was. 
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 12:54:22 am »

Vs

I dont wanna go

Tongue

Exactly, going out on a high, no self-pity but rejoicing in who he was. 

Agree completely. The ninth Doctor may only have been around briefly, but he had the perfect exit. Wheras with the tenth Doctor I ended up getting pretty sick of the sight of him and really wishing he'd hurry up and regenerate by the end because of all the sentimentality and self-pity. Shame really, since I'd really liked him up until the last few episodes.

Anyway, Fathers Day. I liked it. Not the best episode of the series but still very good. I'm not normally a fan of the habit in NuWho of continually bringing in the companion's home life, but this episode did it really well. So well, in fact, that they shamelessly ripped off the idea in an episode of Sarah Jane Adventures!
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 01:08:04 am »

Agree completely. The ninth Doctor may only have been around briefly, but he had the perfect exit. Wheras with the tenth Doctor I ended up getting pretty sick of the sight of him and really wishing he'd hurry up and regenerate by the end because of all the sentimentality and self-pity. Shame really, since I'd really liked him up until the last few episodes.

Shouldve ended at Journeys End....

Anyway, on topic. It is a truely great Ep and sticks to the whole Paradox thing!! Unlike THE MOFF! "Dont touch the baby!"

*Rose touches(not really) the baby and reapers cause destruction and death*

*Amy touches Amelia* *sigh, nothing happens* ¬¬
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 01:30:41 am »

Shouldve ended at Journeys End....

Anyway, on topic. It is a truely great Ep and sticks to the whole Paradox thing!! Unlike THE MOFF! "Dont touch the baby!"

*Rose touches(not really) the baby and reapers cause destruction and death*

*Amy touches Amelia* *sigh, nothing happens* ¬¬

Yeah, well, Amelia and Amy were from two different time streams in The Big Bang.  To quote the Doctor, "You're just not keeping up" :p
Report Spam   Logged

Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 01:37:51 am »

So, in case you *aren;t* keeping up, Amy had grown up from the Amelia who *had* met the Doctor but the Amelia in The Big Bang *hadn't* met the Doctor, ergo, two different versions of the same person.

Rose, in Father's Day, touched the baby version of herself from the same time line. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 02:00:15 am »

*Plft*

I kept up, I always keep up, just The Moff is a bit flexible around Paradoxes....
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 02:03:10 am »

Oh and if you want to be pernickity, Rose didnt really because the saving of her Father was basically creating a Parallel Universe that she, The Doc, Pete and the Reapers were part of.... so in effect, Rose couldnt have grown up and gone back in time to touch Rose (baby) because you know, The Doc got munched and the TARDIS vanished.... so yeah... that was a different Rose

(Im tired, if you want a coherent response Ill give you one 2moz)
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 10:00:07 am »

The Big Bang was played out in a universe where all bets were off and paradoxes could happen.  The universe was collapsing in on itself.  They were at the eye of the storm, remember.

Still not keeping up....:p
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: