The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 07:11:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Father's Day

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 7 (31.8%)
4/5 - Really Good - 8 (36.4%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 5 (22.7%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 2 (9.1%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Father's Day  (Read 1008 times)
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 10:07:10 am »

Oh and if you want to be pernickity, Rose didnt really because the saving of her Father was basically creating a Parallel Universe that she, The Doc, Pete and the Reapers were part of.... so in effect, Rose couldnt have grown up and gone back in time to touch Rose (baby) because you know, The Doc got munched and the TARDIS vanished.... so yeah... that was a different Rose

(Im tired, if you want a coherent response Ill give you one 2moz)

Not the same.  And, if you remember (I know you have trouble :p), the Doctor and the TARDIS came back at the end so baby Rose *would* grow up and meet the Doctor and travel in the TARDIS and go back in time to stop her father from dying.  Same Rose, not the Amy/Amelia situation at all.  If the events of The Big Bang had shifted on 14 years you would have an Amy who had travelled with the Doctor meeting an Amy who *hadn't* met the Doctor.

But, if you think that The Moff is the only one who has 'played' with time paradoxes in Who's history, I suggest you read the article on same in last month's DWM. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 10:23:55 am »

I liked fathers day, and it was one of the better episodes of the first series, but it wasnt the best by any measure. The finale two parter or Dalek get that accolade for sure
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 10:42:16 am »

Oh and if you want to be pernickity, Rose didnt really because the saving of her Father was basically creating a Parallel Universe that she, The Doc, Pete and the Reapers were part of.... so in effect, Rose couldnt have grown up and gone back in time to touch Rose (baby) because you know, The Doc got munched and the TARDIS vanished.... so yeah... that was a different Rose

Not the same.  And, if you remember (I know you have trouble :p), the Doctor and the TARDIS came back at the end so baby Rose *would* grow up and meet the Doctor and travel in the TARDIS and go back in time to stop her father from dying.  Same Rose, not the Amy/Amelia situation at all.  If the events of The Big Bang had shifted on 14 years you would have an Amy who had travelled with the Doctor meeting an Amy who *hadn't* met the Doctor.

But, if you think that The Moff is the only one who has 'played' with time paradoxes in Who's history, I suggest you read the article on same in last month's DWM. Smiley
Is that article on the DWM Website? If so, could you provide a link, please?
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 11:38:56 am »

I knew I would post this in the wrong place!! Oh well, lol

Seems most people are fond of this one. I plan on finishing series 1 today so if I am equally as impressed there may be more threads coming
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 04:40:58 pm »

Tardis-Console, what do you think of the Ninth Doctor?
Report Spam   Logged
Whistler
Easily Exterminated

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 06:47:26 pm »

Is that article on the DWM Website? If so, could you provide a link, please?

Not sure there *is* a website, only a Facebook page.  I certainly couldn't find anything while googling it.  I'm sure if you unt hard enough, someone will have put up a transcript of it somewhere if you can't get your hands on a back issue. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." - The Doctor
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 12:59:43 am »

I know Moff isn't the only one, but he is recently the main one *glares*

Both plots altered the events of the Past though, you can't argue that.... (Waits for you to argue it)

I don't buy every DWM, they are so expensive! So I doubt I have that one...
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 09:37:17 am »

I loved him. I thought he was absolutely brilliant. Angry at times. More than was needed. But I kinda got it, and understood why. I loved how he softened more as the series progressed and it is such a shame he only did the one series. Not as good as Matt Smith for me, but from what I have seen so far of Tennant, I prefer Eccleston to him
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
awkward91
Tin Dog

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 3 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 05:01:12 pm »

Father's Day is indeed awesome, one of the episodes that made me love Doctor Who! I wish alternate world Pete had never happened though... Paul Cornell is fantastic, really hope he writes some more for DW in the future.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes impossible things happen and we call them miracles...
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 10:40:16 pm »

I loved him. I thought he was absolutely brilliant. Angry at times. More than was needed. But I kinda got it, and understood why. I loved how he softened more as the series progressed and it is such a shame he only did the one series. Not as good as Matt Smith for me, but from what I have seen so far of Tennant, I prefer Eccleston to him

I felt that way at the stage of watching you are at. Then a couple of episodes in s2 and a couple of 10/10 (imo) episodes in s3 changed the way I would feel about the show forever.  I founf *my* adult Doctor, as Tom Baker had been my child Doctor, I look forwards to watching you watch so to speak Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 12:26:47 pm »

The Big Bang was played out in a universe where all bets were off and paradoxes could happen.  The universe was collapsing in on itself.  They were at the eye of the storm, remember.

Still not keeping up....:p

That was my understanding as well.  That the universe had collapsed and was pretty much only the Earth and moon and since the universe was so much smaller, you could do stuff you couldn't do before.

As for Father's Day - I enjoyed it.  I liked that you got to see 9 being so mean at times and then softening by the end of it.
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 08:38:04 pm »

I have added a poll to this thread because we are collecting data in order to rank stories. Please could you take a minute and rate this story? Smiley

You do not need to give a reason for your vote, though obviously feel free to do so as it is a good way of bringing discussion back to older threads Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 10:44:31 pm »

4/5 from me for this one. I will readily admit that it gets me every time Cry. I don't particularly love the character of Pete, which is probably my main drawback here, but I thought the story was wonderful and a great way of bringing elements of the classic series into play, such as messing with time streams and the BLE for example. It was just a good old fashioned danger story borne out of something that was very humble that any viewer could identify with. Who wouldn't want to try to save a loved one if they could. It had a good backbone to it.

I wish I'd given it a 5 now
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 10:37:36 am »

Father's Day gets a four from me. For pretty much exactly what Saber said. I think he was spot on Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2011, 07:16:05 pm »

Full marks from me for this story. I absolutely love it to bits. It makes me smile, it makes me cry and it makes me care more for the characters. The Reapers were a bit naff but they are made up for with Jackies 80's hair Grin

I could honestly watch this over and over
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2011, 08:53:27 pm »

I gave this a four - it was a displaced gene away from greatness but I think there was something I just didn't quite like about it. We're in the realms of personal taste here so I can't quite put my finger on it!
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 02:45:26 pm »

I gave this one a four. I always really liked that it was an emotional character driven story and the scifi elements sort of played second fiddle to that. The character of Pete I didn't find all that likeable, but I think that is more a feeling left over from his S2 appearances rather than how he actually is in this story
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 10:49:41 pm »

I went with a four for this story. For much of the same reasons that people have mentioned above
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2011, 10:14:58 pm »

This one gets a 4
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 12:36:45 am »

Angry

Anyway, I'm struggling with this one... I'm not sure whether I think it gets a 3, at the same time as knowing it does, I just prefer it less to some others I have given 3 to... Hmm
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: