The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 12:10:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Martha Jones

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martha Jones  (Read 599 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: November 07, 2011, 01:33:45 pm »

Dr. Martha Jones (later Martha Smith-Jones after marrying Mickey Smith) was a British freelance alien hunter who began her career as a medical student before becoming a companion to the Tenth Doctor and later a medical officer with UNIT. She was also attached briefly to Torchwood 3.

In 2008, Martha was working at the Royal Hope Hospital when it was transported to the Moon by the Judoon. Calm while those around her panicked, Martha worked with the Tenth Doctor, posing as a patient named John Smith, to track down the Plasmavore, "Florence Finnegan", the Judoon were searching for.

As the oxygen in the hospital ran out, Martha gave her last breaths to resuscitate the unconscious Doctor, who had thwarted Florence's plan. The Judoon returned the hospital to Earth. That evening, a recovered Martha was approached by the Doctor, who revealed that he was a Time Lord and invited her to join him on a trip through time and space in the TARDIS.

Martha was a friendly, intelligent, brave and good-spirited woman. When she was a prisoner of the Daleks, one of them confirmed that she possessed high intelligence. The Doctor was impressed with her theory about having air on the Moon, and he asked her to join him in the hospital balcony to see if they could breathe.  Although the Doctor asked more of her than any other companion (watching after him while he was human, walking the world for a year), she rose to every challenge.

Martha quickly developed a crush on the Doctor and always wondered if he even noticed her. Martha was envious of Joan Redfern when the Doctor made himself human and fell in love with her, and said he "had to go and fall in love with a human, and it wasn't me".

In The Year That Never Was, Martha admitted that she loved the Doctor, but after the Master's defeat, she decided that holding on to the hope that he would return her feelings was not good for her. She was later engaged to Tom, and for unexplained reasons married Mickey Smith instead.

Although she had cause to be jealous of Rose Tyler, Martha seemed genuinely happy for the Doctor when he and Rose were reunited. She got along very well with Donna Noble. Martha also had a good relationship with Captain Jack Harkness and did not mind when he flirted with her.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 01:28:16 pm »

I love Martha. I don't understand why she gets so much stick. I think she is a far better companion and character than Rose, Amy or Rory and I would love to see her come back some day. I thought she was great throughout this story and was so glad when she told her mum to shut up. Great character but the most awful family.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:13:30 pm »

"Great character but the most awful family" - pretty much sums it up.  I don't really understand why she gets so much negativity either.  Not one of my absolute favourite companions, but a good one.
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:37:05 pm »

I think that it doesn't help that most of the writing and stories in S3 are so poor, but equally I didn't much care for her and on the flip side, I think she brought some of the stories down.

The 3 she features in in S4 are certainly the worst imo (not entirely due to her, but her presence is irritating)
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:00:24 pm »

I like Martha a lot but I can understand why the public didn't tale to her so much. From the very beginning the Doctor didn't even want her around. He welcomed all his other companions with open arms but with Martha for the first 6 or so episodes all he did was tell her he wanted to send her back. I think subconsciously a lot of the viewers were perhaps thinking along the lines of the Doctor and not accepting her because he wasn't, and then when he finally did it was already known she was leaving at the end of the series anyway. I'm not saying its a major or the only reason, but I think it plays a part in why the audience didn't take to her so well.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 01:49:05 pm »

I love Martha. I don't even mind her family too much. Her siblings are ok but her mum isn't great. Her father though and that awful looking woman he carries on with are just dreadful.

I don't agree with Joshua though about her S4 stories. I love those two. The Sontaran story isn't the best but it's good fun and that wierd skinny guy blows himself up which is great, and the Doctors daughter is great fun. Silly, but fun. It has a great feel of the classics too it I think.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 07:29:58 pm »

Never understood the hate for Martha. I think she is great, and great in this story
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:35:27 pm »

I don't agree with Joshua though about her S4 stories. I love those two. The Sontaran story isn't the best but it's good fun and that wierd skinny guy blows himself up which is great, and the Doctors daughter is great fun. Silly, but fun. It has a great feel of the classics too it I think.

I like them too, especially The Doctor's Daughter.  Though, in fairness, it isn't particularly Martha that makes me love it, but she certainly doesn't spoil it.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 06:53:48 pm »

LEAVE. MARTHA. ALONE!!!!! Tongue

I think she is great. Would much rather watch her than Rose or Amy or Rory, anyway
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 04:34:10 pm »

"Great character but the most awful family" - pretty much sums it up.

There really was no excuse for giving her such a dreadful family. In series 4 I thought Sylvia was going to end up the same but he managed to make her likeable although not always very nice. Martha's family was just ghastly
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 11:23:13 pm »

"Great character but the most awful family" - pretty much sums it up.

There really was no excuse for giving her such a dreadful family. In series 4 I thought Sylvia was going to end up the same but he managed to make her likeable although not always very nice. Martha's family was just ghastly

Well, Wilf would have made up for anything.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 12:02:48 pm »

I think Peri-Peri is probably right about Martha and that it was hard for the audience to take to her when even the Doctor wouldn't. Some of the writing for the character wasn't always great but I like that she showed development throughout her time on the show and I think Freema, despite what some say, always put in a good performance, even in stories that weren't as strong.
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 05:14:52 pm »

I think one of Marthas biggest issues was the love story. By the end of S2 with Rose everyone was already sick of it, so for it to carry on with the next companion was a bit much. By the same token I think that's one of the reasons Donna was so successful, because it was all very different and platonic. I love Martha, but I think they should have probably left out the love story.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: