The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 07:48:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Adam Mitchell

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adam Mitchell  (Read 321 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:33:29 pm »

Adam Mitchell was a young English researcher in the employ of the American GeoComTex billionaire Henry van Statten in the year 2012. He was briefly a companion to the Ninth Doctor.

The Ninth Doctor and Rose Tyler first met Adam in his early twenties. He worked at the time in Van Statten's Vault in Utah where he catalogued extraterrestrial artefacts for his employer. When the Dalek Van Statten had "collected" got loose and went on a rampage, Adam found himself running from it with Rose. At the end of this adventure, Rose asked the Doctor to take Adam along with them in the Doctor's TARDIS as Adam had told her earlier that he had always wanted to see the stars. Rose also found Adam attractive. Despite the Doctor's scepticism about Adam as a potential fellow-traveller, he agreed

Adam's travels with the Doctor and Rose would not last long. Visiting the year 200,000, Adam was overwhelmed by the wealth of information and technology available to him and ultimately gave in to temptation and greed. Desperate to gain all the information that the Fourth Great and Bountiful Human Empire had collected, he learned that only those with an implant could access the data. He had a top-of-the-line computer interface port known as an infospike installed in his head. Unfortunately for 21st century sensibilities, when the implant activated, his head opened up, revealing part of his brain. The implant was activated by a snap of the fingers so he could access the future's computer systems. He attempted to transmit information back to 21st century Earth using Rose's "Superphone".

When the Doctor discovered this breach of his trust, he angrily returned Adam to his home, despite Adam's apologetic pleading, and destroyed the answering machine which had received the information. The Doctor observed that Adam would have to live a quiet life from now on, lest someone discover the implant in his head and dissect him to find out where it came from. After the Doctor and Rose departed, Adam was met by his mother who, when talking to him, clicked her fingers. When his head opened up she had a look of shock and horror on her face.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:29:16 pm »

Such an annoying berk. I love the idea behind his character and the reasoning for his being there, but boy was he annoying
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 06:50:25 pm »

He had potential, but was such a wimp in my opinion, just seemed a little random for him to be there too! If they changed certain aspects of the character I guess he'd be better.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 09:58:45 pm »

I'd have been seriously peed off if he'd become a real companion, but I think two stories were just right to make a point about him.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 06:57:32 pm »

I really love the idea behind his character and the way they showed that not everyone is suitable to be a companion (though a look at some of the classic companions could tell you that), and because of that I understand why he wasn't so likeable, but there were times where he went above and beyond annoying.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:37:25 pm »

I really love the idea behind his character and the way they showed that not everyone is suitable to be a companion (though a look at some of the classic companions could tell you that), and because of that I understand why he wasn't so likeable, but there were times where he went above and beyond annoying.

I think this is pretty spot on. He wasn't too bad in Dalek, but there was a major change between that story and this. That could have been down to his ammount of screen time though I guess.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:03:31 pm »

I liked him a little. I must have mellowed since my last watch because I used to find him so annoying. He isn't the best character ever but let's be honest, if we had the chance to go wandering around space I'm sure most of us would get up to something we shouldnt. He wasn't bad, just a bit stupid. He wanted to cheat so that he could get rich or whatever so the Doctor threw him out, but when the Doctor wants to cheat and hand out lottery tickets nobody batters an eyelid. I know it's different, but the principle is the same. I did like the point of his story quite a lot too.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:45:21 pm »

He's pretty. That's enough for me Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 08:45:46 pm »

Though I also think PP is right
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 07:28:44 pm »

Don't like him. Not a bad story behind the character, but he was pretty annoying.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 03:08:14 pm »

I think PP is right. It's easy to get up and judge and call him stupid, but I think if I was in his position I would probably have done something similar or equally stupid. I'd be too excited and in awe not to. On the commentary they mention that a scene was cut that would have explained his actions. Basically his father was dying of something incurable which is why he wanted to get his hands on the information. Or something like that anyway. In terms of the story it makes his actions make more sense, but it makes the Doctors reaction seem much more harsh, which is I guess why they cut it.
Report Spam   Logged

Dan_Man
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Second & Ninth
Favourite Companion: Ian Chesterton

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 2 Apple User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 05:06:01 am »

When I first wathched Dalek I thought Adam was going to be a good companion for the Doctor, after this episode my opinion did change.

And adding on to what PP said, Rose did some pretty stupid things too, and while the Doctor may have threatened to take her back and leave her, he never did.
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 01:18:19 pm »

When I first wathched Dalek I thought Adam was going to be a good companion for the Doctor, after this episode my opinion did change.

And adding on to what PP said, Rose did some pretty stupid things too, and while the Doctor may have threatened to take her back and leave her, he never did.

That's what I don't get. Every companion mucks up. It's like a rite of passage. I didn't like the character so I'm not too bothered he went, but his actions were pretty small fry when you think about it.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: