The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 08:21:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The Doctor, The Widow And The Wardrobe

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 7 (30.4%)
4/5 - Really Good - 7 (30.4%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 6 (26.1%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 3 (13%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The Doctor, The Widow And The Wardrobe  (Read 298 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:44:25 pm »

Here is where you can give your review of The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe. Once you have watched the episode, rate it above and review it below.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 02:51:39 pm »

Yay! Feels like it's really coming now that this is set up Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 02:52:05 pm »

Am I even allowed to post in here Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 02:53:30 pm »

Yea sure, post away. It's a bit empty at the moment but we will be filling it up over the next few weeks so feel free to start any discussion threads or whatever, just remember that if they contain spoilers to say so in the title, for those who wish to remain spoiler free Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 02:53:46 pm »

Awesome Doc, will do Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 06:14:13 pm »

It definately feels more exciting now this section is open. It's like all those months ago when we were sat around waiting for TIA. I really hope it's a goodun!
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 08:24:49 pm »

Blimey Cheesy that was wonderful and I loved every second of that.... Actually thats not true, for the first fifteen minutes or so I thought it was actually a little slow and nothing really was happening.

And then a funny thing happened. I just got sucked into it. I watched it and found myself totally hooked in and by the ending of it I was just in awe. The kids have to be the least annoying child stars I've ever seen - they were great Smiley I also think that (although it was set on Christmas Day) I think this is one that I could watch in the middle of summer and not feel a total gimp.

I think I need to watch it again - and then I can be more impartial. But first impressions, Moffat ratcheted the emotion-on-meter up to 11! And he suckered me.

A Christmassy Five from me Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 09:18:46 pm »

Sorry folks, a two from me.
Since when can The Doctor breathe - and shout - in space?

That aside, the story was ok, and the kids were impressive, but I really think I'm ready for a regeneration & for The Ponds to go away. Was not impressed when he turned up on their doorstep.

Wonder how much it cost to "borrow" a Lancaster Bomber for that cool shot near the end.

For me this ep just re-affirms for me that I don't like "The Moffat Era".
Report Spam   Logged

HuonEnergetic
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: 9 closely followed by 11
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble, Rose Tyler, Rory Williams

Everybody lives!

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 09:43:14 pm »

I'll just throw my 5/5 in there and say i loved it!
Probably my favourite Christmas Special yet =)
I was also a bit irritated at the whole "breathing in space" thing, but just figured the alien ship had a oxygen shield, which held longer than the rest of the ship and then he had the suit...or something like that xD And actually I don't really care, because it was completely irrelevant to the story.
I really liked the ideas and that it had nothing to do with Narnia, except for the title and the "forest in room" thingy.
And I really liked how Amy and Rory where there, but not in the middle of the story (if you get what I'm trying to say XD)
It also made me even more intersted in Matt Smith Era times without the Ponds, because we got to see again how well he interacted with other "companions".
Report Spam   Logged

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 09:46:22 pm »

Sorry folks, a two from me.
Since when can The Doctor breathe - and shout - in space?

Since it's played for entertainment rather than factual drama Tongue

Loved it, extremely Christmassy and very much more family orientated than last years.  I agree Vamp Adric that the kids where fantastic, not too schmaltzy or 'amateur'.  Bill Bailey was the highlight for me thou, well him and Humany wumany Grin
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 11:50:21 pm »

Surely you get what I mean though?

I know there's a massive suspension of disbelief with this sort of show, but there are some things they should be sensible about.
It's a given that (unless you're possibly Superman) breathing in space is impossible - they even directly addressed it in The Pandorica Opens when he rescued River.
There was no TARDIS nearby either to "extend a bubble" or whatever the technobabble was to cover Amy dangling outside the TARDIS.

I know I'm probably being pedantic about it, but frankly I thought it a stupid thing to do, especially when followed up by him falling to Earth.

I mean, Tom Baker fell about a hundred feet and regenerated for crying out loud!
(although Ten also defied the laws of physics in TEoT Pt II)

All I can say is that must have been some fracking spacesuit to not burn up in an instant.
Report Spam   Logged

DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 07:10:52 am »

Upon first viewing, I really didn't like it very much.  I hate sappy, and this was definitely one of the more sappy Who shows. 

I loved the opening sequence with the ship.  The Doctor saving the Earth from yet another invasion on Christmas Day, classic!  LOL  I suppose he'll have to hit every year eventually to make sure we're really safe.

I agree that his talking in space was ridiculous, and Moffat really should have known better.  Wouldn't his Time Lord physiology enable him to survive for a short time in a vacuum though?  Or am I thinking of some other show.  However, even he shouldn't have been able to survive an impact from orbit that left a crater that big wearing only a spacesuit.

Despite all that though, the part that really turned me off from this episode was the house tour - how in the world did he find the resources to put all that together?  Spinning chairs - really?  He's a Time Lord, not a magician.  I think the only part that made me laugh out loud this episode was when he tried to dive into the hammock.  Other than that, not too many funny lines.  Last year's "A Christmas Carol" was full of funny stuff. 

Oh, Amy armed with a water pistol to ward off carolers was also pretty funny.  That is so her!

I haven't rated it yet, I want to watch again without the commercial breaks (I watched on BBC America, bleh!).  Hopefully it won't seem to drag as much that way.
Report Spam   Logged
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 09:49:42 am »

The hammock diving was pretty darn funny.

Did anyone blink & miss Bill Bailey in this one?

As much as I personally didn't like it, I'm obviously very glad others did - if the show remains popular then it remains on air.

Oh, just to add to my previous pedantic-ism - Ten also addressed the whole space/breathing thing in Voyage of the Damned stating something along the lines of being "just like you". Maybe Moffat missed that ep.
(or maybe he didn't give a monekys)
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 10:39:03 am »

OK, admittedly I haven't been able to watch this for a second time yet... My family like annoying me at Christmas and decide to talk over it, so this is just from what I did see yesterday...

I'm giving it a 3... I didn't really like it for numerous reasons... Which I won't go in to, but I really liked the girl (can't call her little cause she's older than me) Lily, she played a character in Casualty a while back...

My dad liked the Lancaster and so did I, and my brother liked Alexander Armstrong and Bill Bailey, and I liked... Not too sure, the tree people were pretty cool and the so was the house tour scene, but other than that I didn't find that much in there to like, got totally lost with the story, had no idea what was going on and what the purpose of the tree people were....

I shall rewatch soon and probably change my opinion
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 11:10:15 am »

I really enjoyed it so I am giving it full marks. Admittedly, it wasn't perfect and when you think about it not an awful lot actually happened. It seemed to whiz by really quickly and then it was over, but it had a nice easy feel to its, was a lot more linear than most Moff stories and had a lovely feel to it. The beginning was silly but I can overlook that. I suppose now at least everyone will lay off RTD and Ten falling to earth in The End Of Time, because this fall was far higher than that one Tongue

The end scene I thought was lovely. When Amy said she sets up a place for the Doctor every year I have to admit it got me a bit teary. Unlike some of the others here I love a bit of soppy-ness and I thought it was lovely to see the Doctor 'feel', especially after saying earlier in the episode that he was now too old to do so.

It wasn't perfect by any means but I really loved it and I liked it a whole lot more than last years.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 11:12:36 am »

I like Moffatt, but I find this whole episode totally illogical and I'm not sure we are even supposed to take the episode as a bona fide episode and not some kind of "dream episode". As a dream you can find the silliness of breathing in space, surviving crashing to the Earth, and then finding the TARDIS conveniently around the place he had crashed forgivable. The silliness of the spinning furniture. The oh-so-predictable emotional payoff of the father still being alive. The cursory political correctness of the 'acid rain'. The only thing I really liked about this episode is that there turn out to be some limitations on the all-powerful sonic screwdriver. Does anyone else feel like the sonic screwdriver has become like Huggy Bear in Starsky and Hutch?

Verdict: 2/5 but only because I like Matt Smith's performance as the Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 12:39:35 pm »

I gave this episode a three.  It was ok, but not the best.  I agree that the beginning with him falling through space and then surviving the fall to Earth was a bit out there.  The general story line was good but something about it just didn't click for me.  Also was totally predictable that the father would end up surviving.  I did, however, like the ending and the Doctor shedding a tear from happiness.  That was great.  As always, Matt Smith was fantastic.  But I really enjoyed last year's Christmas episode much more.
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 03:01:32 pm »

I've gone with a 4. It was a decent episode and enjoyable enough, but it didn't really have the feel of a 'special' for me. I preferred it over A Christmas Carol though I think.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 03:25:58 pm »

4 from me. It was a bit silly in parts but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I didn't like the pre-credits stuff particularly. It wasn't really needed, but everything after that was fine enough. More than anything else I think what I liked most was that it was pretty much in a straight line. No bobbing in and out of time lines and and no wibbly nonsense, just a beginning, middle and end. I thought Moff had forgotten how to do that.
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 03:26:28 pm »

Oh, and I was convinced the top of the lighthouse was going to turn out to be a Sontaran ship Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: