The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 07:23:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Being Married In The TARDIS

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being Married In The TARDIS  (Read 115 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: November 30, 2011, 05:48:06 pm »

After finally watching Jo's exit story, and remaining relatively spoiler free about how and why it occured, I have to admit it made her appearance in SJA seem even more sad. She makes a comment there about how the only reason she left was because she got married and seems saddened by the fact that he was now travelling with a married couple. I always thought it was a sad scene but never fully appreciated why until now. I know it was never said, but now I can't help thinking that perhaps the Doctor told her she couldn't travel with him any more because she had met/married this man. What do you think?
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:29:42 pm »

I've never got that impression.  It seems more that Jo and Cliff had their own project and their own journey, and the Doctor simply accepted that.  Also, remember that the Doctor wasn't travelling constantly at this time - he was working for UNIT, and (presumably) she'd resigned from her job with them.  It was definitely presented as her decision to leave.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:46:42 pm »

I can understand, based on the SJA conversation, why it would seem that way, but based on this story I would say it was her choice to leave. I think more than anything she probably just assumed she wouldn't be able to travel any more because she married, rather than the Doctor saying she/they couldn't. I think in SJA she was just more disapointed that he never returned for her like he promised he would.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:07:55 pm »

I think in SJA she was just more disapointed that he never returned for her like he promised he would.

Exactly this. She says something to him like 'did you think I was stupid? Is that why you never came back?', which in itself was a heartbreaking scene. I think once she knew he had been back to Sarah Jane more than once she began to wonder why he had never been back to her. I think the comment about being married was more a shock that it was allowed and that the Doctor would go for it, rather than wishing she could have done the same, or even wanted to.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 11:05:26 am »

In this story the Doctor asked her to join him on another adventure and she was the one who said she wanted to stay and get married. It's possible she didn't know she could take Cliff with her but they were all set to go up the Amazon and she seemed pretty sure that she wasn't going to be travelling with the Doctor. More importantly, it very much seemed like it was her choice. I think Roranicus is right in that in SJA she was more dissapointed that he had never checked in on her again.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 10:19:47 am »

I would say it was her choice to stay behind. The stuff in SJA confuses it slightly, but doesnt change whar we see in this story
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 12:08:18 am »

Perhaps I was just looking at it in the wrong way. It had been a while since I saw DOTD but it's just how it made me think about it. I like how it all ties in though, all the same Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: