The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 10:08:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Donna Noble

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Donna Noble  (Read 348 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: December 04, 2011, 09:42:32 pm »

Donna Noble was a companion of the Tenth Doctor. Despite her ordinary origins, she was noted by Rose Tyler and the Tenth Doctor as being the most important woman in all of creation. Donna saved the whole of reality from the Daleks and Davros, though to survive the stress caused by her transformation into the "DoctorDonna", her memories of her time with the Doctor were forcibly erased and she was returned to Earth. She later married Shaun Temple.

Donna's first encounter with the Doctor was bewildering for both: the Doctor was shocked into speechlessness by her sudden appearance in his TARDIS; Donna was furious with the Doctor for "kidnapping" her. Though Donna's sharp tongue and hair-trigger temper kept the Doctor at arm's length for most of their first adventure, quieter moments showed a more level-headed and perceptive woman. Although she sometimes appeared unintelligent, and persistently referred to the fact that she was 'only a temp', she was actually quite smart: she mastered the Dewey Decimal System in two days working at a library. When she joined the Doctor in his journeys, her quick, and sometimes dry, wit often came out, coinciding with his own.

Though most companions were, to some degree, the Doctor's conscience, Donna adopted this role more openly and forcefully than her predecessors. She pleaded with the Doctor to save the inhabitants of Pompeii - if not all of them, then a single family. Donna insisted that the Doctor acknowledge Jenny as his daughter, no matter how she was created or what job she was trained for. Donna's fiery temper hid a deep well of compassion, as she showed when she reached out to Agatha Christie, trying to share her own story of failed marriage.

When the Doctor's companion Martha Jones recalled the Doctor to Earth, she and Donna became fast friends; neither was jealous and both were willing to share experiences. The Doctor found this disconcerting. Her relationship with Rose Tyler was initially abrasive in the alternate timeline but friendly in the real universe. She also enjoyed an attraction to Captain Jack Harkness, which at one point involved her pushing Sarah Jane Smith out of the way to get a hug from him.

Unlike Rose and Martha, Donna was intent on maintaining a platonic relationship with the Doctor, reacting with disgust when she misinterpreted his comment "I just want a mate" (friend) as "I want to mate" (breed). She kissed him, but only to shock him. She was very supportive of the Doctor, at one point forcing him to admit that despite the potential collapse of universes, Rose's return was a good thing. She also supported the Doctor when the time came to leave the Meta-Crisis Doctor and Rose behind on Pete's World. Just before her memories were wiped, she tearfully echoed Rose's earlier desire to travel with the Doctor "forever". The Doctor reciprocated Donna's feelings, referring to her as his best friend. The Meta-Crisis Doctor, working from his original template's memories, recognised Donna's brash attitude arose because she truly believed that she was unimportant; she was "Shouting at the universe, because she thinks no one is listening." The original Doctor attributed this to her mother never telling Donna she was important to her.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:56:29 pm »

My favourite companion of all time. Donna Noble is amazing! I don't think any companion has ever had the growth and development like what we saw during Donna's time in the TARDIS. I think absolutely everyone was skeptical of the casting of Catherine Tate but she proved everyone totally wrong and played the role brilliantly.

I think in this particular story there were times when she was a bit brash and I think for some, borderline annoying, but after seeing her whole story and learning more about her life and character, it makes her appearance here make that much more sense. It will be a long time before they have another companion as great at Donna.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 02:29:03 pm »

TDD, I think you are spot on!
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 07:58:03 pm »

I think Donna is awesome, though I think part of why she wasn't so popular in this story is because she had the unenviable task (back then at least) of following in the footsteps of Rose, who had pedastal status for a while after she left. I also think they got her off on the wrong foot by having her be this loud obnoxious character in the last moments of what was a really sad few minutes of Doomsday. I still thought she was great though
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:56:37 pm »

I honestly think that Donna's overall story is one of, if not the best story we have had in the show since it returned, and probably extended for quite a bit before that, and it all just seemed even more brilliant because of how sad the ending to her story was. When you think where she started out in this story, to how it all came together in Journeys End, it really was brilliant, and Catherine Tate was absolutely superb in the role from start to finish.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:53:57 pm »

Donna was brilliant and I think the main reason why the fourth series was such a success. When I heard that Catherine Tate was one of the companions I was a little apprehensive. I liked her show but I have only ever seen her to wacky comedy and expected her to be a nightmare in this. When I first saw The Runaway Bride I wasn't impressed but everyone on here said I should stick with it and I will understand her popularity, and I really, really did. After seeing her in series 4 and then rewatching this story my opinion of it/her changed completely and I love it now. I don't think she would have worked as well had she stayed a one off companion, but watching this in the context of her ongoing story really helps to make sense of why she is the way she is.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:14:28 pm »

Oh man, I have so much love for Donna. Easily my favourite companion.

At the time this aired, I wasn't overly fond of her and found her rather annoying. When I heard she was the main companion of S4, I was rather annoyed. What a change of opinion I had!

She definitely had the most incredible, and possibly most emotional, journey of any of the RTD-era companions. Love her!
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:48:46 pm »

Oh man, I have so much love for Donna. Easily my favourite companion.

At the time this aired, I wasn't overly fond of her and found her rather annoying. When I heard she was the main companion of S4, I was rather annoyed. What a change of opinion I had!

She definitely had the most incredible, and possibly most emotional, journey of any of the RTD-era companions. Love her!

This is exactly where I stand on this. Donna has been by far the best companion since the show returned. (Jo is still my overall fave though)
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 12:04:03 am »

I liked her in this when I first saw it, but I didn't think she was a strong enough character for more than a one-off.  Fortunately I was wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 09:31:47 pm »

I think in this particular story there were times when she was a bit brash and I think for some, borderline annoying, but after seeing her whole story and learning more about her life and character, it makes her appearance here make that much more sense.

I'd definately agree with this.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 09:31:57 pm »

I think in this particular story there were times when she was a bit brash and I think for some, borderline annoying, but after seeing her whole story and learning more about her life and character, it makes her appearance here make that much more sense.

I'd definately agree with this.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 09:56:36 pm »

I have to admit I wasn't keen on Donna at all in this story, but after coming on board full time she just seems totally normal and loveable in this now and I always enjoy her when I rewatch.
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 09:36:42 pm »

I'm not a massive fan of her in this. I like her, but even with her awesomeness in series 4 taken into account, I think she is at times a tad over obnoxious in this.
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 09:36:59 pm »

I'm not a massive fan of her in this. I like her, but even with her awesomeness in series 4 taken into account, I think she is at times a tad over obnoxious in this.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: