The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 10:40:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Two Missing Episodes Found

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Missing Episodes Found  (Read 548 times)
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:12:37 pm »

It's been announced on twitter (unofficially, at the moment) that two classic episodes of Doctor Who have been recovered. Galaxy Four ep 3, and Underwater Menace ep 2. (I think that's right)

Hopefully The Doc have more to say in this than I do.
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 06:20:43 pm »

It's awesome news. This is what I know so far. Ralph Montagu, Radio Times’s head of heritage and a lifelong Doctor Who fan has revealed this:

“I occasionally meet up with a group of film collectors and retired TV engineers at a café in Hampshire.

“A few months ago I spoke to Terry Burnett, who used to be an engineer at TVS [the former ITV franchise based in Southampton]. Somehow Doctor Who was mentioned in passing, and Terry said, ‘Oh, actually I think I’ve got an old episode.’

“I thought it was bound to be something we’ve got already,” says Ralph. “I tried not to get too excited, but he came back the next day and brought this spool with him. It had no label, so I had a look at the film leader and it said ‘Air Lock’. I thought, ‘What’s that?’ I checked online and saw that Air Lock was an episode of Galaxy 4 - a missing Hartnell serial. So then I got very excited.”

Ralph met Terry again a couple of weeks later, “And he said, ‘Guess what I’ve got.’ It was another episode of Doctor Who! Again not labelled on the can, but it turned out to be The Underwater Menace part two.”
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 06:49:44 pm »

This is great news - and it is also encouraging that old episodes are still turning up. Unfortunately I don't think this completes any stories. Galaxy Four will still be missing the other 3 episodes and Underwater Menace still needs Eps 1 and 4. However, that said, with this news I have a renewed sense of optimism that these episodes might turn up Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 06:56:11 pm »

They don't complete any stories but I am still so excited, especially about Galaxy 4. Even with all it's faults, this will be the first time in nearly 50 years that an episode from that story has been seen, and that's a huge deal. I wonder how they will release them. An update of Lost In Time maybe? Or extras on another release?
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 07:03:16 pm »

Here's the story from the BBC:

Two classic episodes of Doctor Who - thought to be missing forever - have been returned to the BBC archive.
Episode 3 of the William Hartnell adventure "Galaxy 4" and Episode 2 of Patrick Troughton's "The Underwater Menace" were purchased by film collector Terry Burnett at a village fete near Southampton in the early 80s. He had been unaware that the canisters contained material missing from the BBC.
Thanks to the kind loan by Mr Burnett, the classic footage has been shown today at the British Film Institute's annual "Missing Believed Wiped" event at the National Film Theatre in London. Host at the event was Doctor Who writer and actor Mark Gatiss who said: "Christmas has come early for Doctor Who fans everywhere. It's always wonderful when a missing episode turns up but it's been years since the last one so to have two is just brilliant. Add to that a proper bit of action from the legendary Chumblies (and the horrifying Rills!) plus the utterly mesmeric Patrick Troughton on great form. Well, what more could we all ask for?"
Over 100 episodes of Doctor Who from the 1960s still remain missing. The tapes were routinely wiped once the rights to repeat them had expired. It seems unfathomable to us today, but before the advent of DVDs and iPlayer, grainy black and white material was thought to no longer be of interest to the television audience. However, many film prints sold overseas have since been returned. These latest discoveries are the first complete episodes to have been located since 2004.
None of the four episodes of the 1965 adventure "Galaxy 4" were known to have survived, although a short extract had been retained.
Research has shown that the returned episodes originated from the ABC channel in Australia. In fact, the copy of The Underwater Menace is still missing a few short sections which were removed by the Australian censors upon its original transmission Down Under. Fresh scans of the missing material have been made by the National Archives of Australia and will be incorporated into the restored episodes ahead of a DVD release.
Details of a commercial release will be announced by 2 entertain in 2012.

Source
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 07:12:29 pm »

They don't complete any stories but I am still so excited, especially about Galaxy 4. Even with all it's faults, this will be the first time in nearly 50 years that an episode from that story has been seen, and that's a huge deal. I wonder how they will release them. An update of Lost In Time maybe? Or extras on another release?

I agree Smiley (and i didn't mean it to sound negative) Anything that brings down the number of lost episodes has got to be a good thing Smiley I think your first option for release sounds realistic - we might get a "Lost in Time Special" or something like that. Although I do think extras on another release is probably the fairest way to do it, I can't see BBC Worldwide miss the opportunity to get a few quid from them
Report Spam   Logged

Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 08:11:03 pm »

Thanks to whoever for putting this post in the right place. And changing the title. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 09:07:46 pm »

This is wicked news. I have to be honest I thought the chances of finding more were pretty much nil, so this is great and hopefully won't be the last we see returned
Report Spam   Logged
Jazza1971
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker or Matt Smith...I can't decide
Favourite Companion: Sarah Jane

View Profile
Level 1 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 09:32:21 pm »

I had to register here to post my joy of this news.

I think I maybe know one or two of you on this website, I am James Bland and have posted by that name on other message boards. Jazza1971 is my screen name almost everywhere these days.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 10:09:08 pm »

I think I maybe know one or two of you on this website, I am James Bland and have posted by that name on other message boards. Jazza1971 is my screen name almost everywhere these days.

Well it's a great piece of news and a great reason to get new members on the boards. Welcome to the forum Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 12:16:17 am »

I'm speechless.  Well, not really, but nearly speechless.  Well, I would be nearly speechless if I didn't want to talk about it so much.  Actually, I'm not speechless at all.

This is wonderful.  Galaxy 4 was a story that stuck with me really strongly from seeing it originally.  Even though it's only a quarter of it, I can't wait to see this.  And the previously surviving episode of The Underwater Menace was great fun, and I hope this one will be just as good.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 12:27:18 pm »

This is fantastic news. I was looking at the blog this morning and it wasn't mentioned on there so I certainly didn't expect to sign in and read this. I cannot wait to watch them. Finding one is excellent, but to get two is amazing.

Unlike the small clips that were found a few years back and released as extras, I think these are more deserving of a something bigger, so I would be happy to see LIT reissued.
Report Spam   Logged
Slfriend79
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: The 4th
Favourite Companion: Sarah Jane Smith

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 12:33:44 pm »

This is so cool! Cool
Report Spam   Logged

"It may be irrational of me, but human beings are quite my favorite species."- Tom Baker As 'Doctor Who'
Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 12:43:33 pm »

The BBC have released a clip from the Underwater Menace episode.

This is going to sound so stupid, but there is something sort of magic about seeing it. The quality of it is excellent too.
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 12:54:43 pm »

Here is a news report about it too. There is some stuff in there about the release and how they want to do something fitting and that they should be released next year.

Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 03:17:11 pm »

Hands up who has fantasies sometimes of finding a box containing every lost episode  Afro
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 03:47:14 pm »

That would be too awesome!
Report Spam   Logged
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 01:54:00 am »

This news really has made my week. I was so excited when I heard and I can't wait to watch them.
Report Spam   Logged
Jazza1971
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker or Matt Smith...I can't decide
Favourite Companion: Sarah Jane

View Profile
Level 1 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 06:02:12 pm »

Well it's a great piece of news and a great reason to get new members on the boards. Welcome to the forum Cheesy

Thank you. Sorry for not replying sooner...my e-mail had sent your reply to my spam folder.
Report Spam   Logged
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 06:52:18 pm »

Welcome to the forum Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: