The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 03:53:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The War Chief & the Master

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The War Chief & the Master  (Read 306 times)
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« on: December 15, 2011, 01:07:17 am »

I don't think it's difficult to see a similarity here, and I've even read speculations that they're the same person.  I doubt it, for various reasons.  For one thing, even if he did regenerate after he was shot, it's unlikely he'd have escaped the Time Lords, and I can't see them being as merciful to him as to the Doctor.  For another, when the Doctor meets the Master in Terror of the Autons, there's no suggestion of any recent history.  The non-canon explanation is that the Doctor, the Master, the War Chief, the Monk and the Rani were a group of friends at the Academy, who were all dissatisfied with the restrictions of Time Lord society.

As far as the show's concerned, though, I assume that the Master was basically a development of the same template.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 07:58:55 pm »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they used the War Chief as a basis for The Master, but I've never been one to think they could be the same person. I've seen quite a few people who think that they might be, but I think it's better to keep them seperate and have two great characters instead.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 03:55:24 pm »

I didn't know that fans connected the two. At least I don't think I did. I can see the similarities but I think that's all it is.

I don't understand why fans would want to claim they are one and the same though. I suppose it's sort of possible, but I think it would have been said on screen by now if it were the case.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:07:09 pm »

I don't understand why fans would want to claim they are one and the same though.

For the same reasons that every woman on the show is (according to certain areas of fandom) Romana/The Rani etc. It's just fun to speculate.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:08:30 pm »

I don't understand why fans would want to claim they are one and the same though.

For the same reasons that every woman on the show is (according to certain areas of fandom) Romana/The Rani etc. It's just fun to speculate.

But I thought that every female character actually was The Rani and or Romana? Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 09:56:45 pm »

But I thought that every female character actually was The Rani and or Romana? Tongue

Well, of course not.  Some of them are Susan.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 11:27:41 am »

Well, of course not.  Some of them are Susan.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 01:22:40 pm »

I think that what probably happened is that the writers wanted an alter-ego of the Third Doctor as the villain of the piece, liked the War Chief or discovered he was popular with fans, and decided to base the Master on the War Chief, down to the physical appearance.

Why not bring back the War Chief himself? Perhaps because he had been killed at the end of the War Games. Couldn't he have regenerated? Perhaps. But remember that it is only in the final episode that we get a glimpse of the back story and mythology of the Time Lords. There is no mention of 13 regenerations and of this being the result of the Doctor dying. At the end of "The War Games" the Time Lords only talk about altering the Doctor's appearance because his current appearance would be recognized (why this is a problem is unclear). What about the first Doctor's 'regeneration' into the second? The first doctor only talks of his old body wearing out and not of dying and/or regenerating. He does not suffer any injury during the course of The Tenth Planet.

The evidence against the War Chief being the Master (perhaps in another regeneration) is that it is never mentioned in the TV series (I have not read the books) and is denied by the writers of the TV series. True, they could be playing with us. See
www.thevervoid.com/columns/sihunt/sihunt50.htm
http://davidrestal.blogspot.com/2007/09/is-master-war-chief.html
http://www.historyvortex.org/SixFaces.html
for theories identifying the two.

If we do factor in regeneration, there is another interesting possibility that may even allow for a comeback. The War Chief says that the Doctor has changed his appearance, presumably meaning changed from William Hartnell. But there is no reason why people travelling through time should not encounter each other out of sequence. It is possible then that the appearance from which the Doctor has changed is, for instance, Matt Smith. However, the problem with this is that the Second Doctor knows the War Chief, so that theory breaks down.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 10:58:41 pm »

Yes, it wasn't really till Planet of the Spiders that it was established a Time Lord could regenerate from a traumatic death.  I don't think the possibility of the War Chief regenerating was even considered at the time (come to that, none of the Time Lords killed in The Deadly Assassin seem able to regenerate either).  Even if he had, he'd have been arrested before he knew where he was.

The Doctor/Master relationship was supposed to have been based on Holmes and Moriarty (with the Brig as Watson) but I suspect they recycled some ideas from the War Chief.  After all, Terrence D!cks co-created the War Chief, and he was the script editor who created the Master.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: