The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 09:09:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: The Moffat Era

Poll
Question: Vote!
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 2 (11.1%)
4/5 - Really Good - 12 (66.7%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 3 (16.7%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 1 (5.6%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: The Moffat Era  (Read 116 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: December 26, 2011, 11:33:39 am »

Moffat has two full series under his belt now as well as two Christmas specials and some charity stuff, so now seems as good a time as any to reflect on his time running the show so far.

Is he doing it for you?

I used the same rating scores like we do for the episodes because they are the most familiar to everyone. Judge it on a whole from The Eleventh Hour through to TDTWATW and tell us your thoughts Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 11:37:50 am »

I have goen with a four. 'Really good'.

I think Moff started out really strong. I say 'Moff' because he obviously has overall and last say on everything, and S5 was to me practically perfect in every way, but S6 is where I knocked the point off. I think there were a few episodes in S6 that were a bit rubbish and as much as Moff can't be blamed for writing them all, he should have had the sense to see that some of the stories were poorly written before putting them into production. For the most part I liked S6 but for me it was nowhere near as good as the previous year and one thing Moff can be blamed for is making it too arc heavy and too focused on the companions. The strength of S5 and the specials has kept the score higher for me, but if we were just looking at S6 as a whole then I think I would have scored it lower.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 03:14:05 pm »

I think TC has it pretty much spot on, so for that reason I give Moffs era (so far) a 4 as well.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 03:38:02 pm »

4 from me too
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
HuonEnergetic
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: 9 closely followed by 11
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble, Rose Tyler, Rory Williams

Everybody lives!

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 06:16:03 pm »

Also a four from me.
I really like the Moffat Era, but there where little bits and pieces that kept it from being "absolutely amazing"
TC summed it up pretty well with the focus on the companions and some poor storylines.
Report Spam   Logged

DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 04:05:01 am »

TC summed it up for me pretty well too, except for the arc heavy stuff, which I loved.  The only thing I didn't love about it was the failure to wrap up all the plot holes and loose ends.  I voted 4 as well.
Report Spam   Logged
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 02:23:24 pm »

I think TC has made some great points which I've agreed with all along, but I'm afraid I could only in good concience go with a two.

I walked away from Who after the S6 finale (and, I should also add, Torchwood) aired - I needed a break from it all.
Series 6 for me feels like the Blade Trinity of Doctor Who. The character of The Doctor is almost made a supporting character in his own show for many episodes, as Moffat chose instead to focus on Amy Pond.

Series 6 had a couple of episodes I enjoyed a lot - The Doctor's Wife, AGMGTW, The God Complex; but the overall arc was complete tosh as far as I'm concerned.
The conceit of Amy & Rory giving up searching for their baby simply because she grows up to be River is utter nonsense, even moreso than the breathing/yelling in space we just had this past weekend.

Don't get me wrong, the RTD years gave too much focus to the companion(s) as well (paging Rose Tyler!), but the difference is - at least for me - Amy is an unlikeable, selfish b1tch most of the time.

Do you all remember the start of the Silurian episodes, where Rory went off getting into mischief etc? THAT is what the companions should be all about.

Another thing I'd add is that, despite all his tweets, the self absorbed smug interviews etc, Moffat has absolutely stretched himself too thin working on this, Sherlock, and whatever else he has up his sleeve (TinTin?)

I don't want to end on a negative though, so I'll say this - the look of the show is exceptional, and Murray Gold's music has been brilliant these past couple of years.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 04:00:08 pm »

I am going with a middle of the road 3.

Series 5 came around and I was blown away. Some of the stories I don't like so much but the season overall I thought was great. Then S6 came along and as much as I enjoyed a lot of it, for the most part it didn't feel like Doctor Who. When the stories were good they were excellent, but the bad ones were awful, and I think Moff knew it. I honestly think that this is one of the reasons he tried so hard to shift the focus onto confusing timey wimey plots and making everything about Amy. The Doctor felt like a supporting character, and at times it even seemed a bit like he was in the way of the Amy and Rory show, which is such a shame. I always try to stay postive about the show. It's so huge that there will always be bits and pieces that you don't like so much, but I think my main problem with Moffs era is that as much as he bangs on about not dumbing down for kids, the show now somehow feels, and I don't want to say childish, but more geared to children. As enjoyable as the stories are, S6 had absolutely no threat and didn't have that gritty feel to it that DW does so well.

The main difference for me I think is that while S5 had duff episodes, the season itself felt great, but with S6 the few duff episodes seriously brought the series down as a whole.
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 04:20:18 pm »

3 from me. My overall feeling on Moffs era is that for every good thing that happens, it gets undone by something bad. He hasn't exactly had a 'run' of great episodes in one block, which makes the seasons feel a bit uneven. Add to that that Moff seems to have this 'clingy' feel about him, like he just can't let go of things. Unneccesary characters returning, plots dragging on for far too long, companions outstaying their welcome and other things like that. The last two years have had it's spells of amazingness, mostly in S5, but it has at times been pretty bad.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 06:02:09 pm »

While I agree with pretty much all the criticisms in here, I have still given it a four. Every single season of the show has its low points and Moffs era has been no different, but some of the stories, The Eleventh Hour, Vincent, TPO, TIA, The Doctors Wife, The Girl Who Waited, to name a few, have been some of the best since the show returned, and that's not to be sniffed at either!
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 12:42:46 am »

I gave it a 4.  I do feel he's overdone the arcs, the role of the companions and the god-like Doctor, but I don't completely dislike any of those, and on the whole I've enoyed the stories - some have been weaker than others, but there hasn't been anything I personally consider a dead loss.  And some have been brilliant.
Report Spam   Logged

Miss Wright
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/One

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 09:00:52 am »

I feel exactly the opposite. I always loved Moff episodes in RTD's era, so when he took over the show I was thrilled. What an initial letdown for me in Series 5. Amy really killed it for me, along with the episodes that I did not like at all. I however came to realize Matt as one of my favorite Doctors, and love River and Rory. With Series 6, I loved it almost completely. Even the "poor" episodes were enjoyable for me. The series arc was fun, although I am glad we are returning to the more episodic format. 

I went with a 4. Moff has brought a more serious tone to the show, which is much more congruent with the Old Who that I'm familiar with.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 07:01:58 pm »

You know sometimes when you think of a story that you perhaps haven't watched in a while and it's like 'ah, I love that one', but then when you watch it it's not as good as you remember or led yourself to believe? With a lot of Moffs stories, especially S6, I have the opposite thought. I've been finding myself thinking about the stories and not feeling very keen, but then when I am watching them I am really enjoying them. I'm currently rewatching series 6 as I write this, which in itself feels like a bit of a slog, but I really am enjoying it. It's a perculiar thing but I think it hinders my feelings on Moffs tenure. Series 6 isn't amazing from start to finish, but it does have it's moments of brilliance. I think if Moff learns to tone down the arcs, stop trying to make Amy compete with Rose for 'the' companion and pays more attention to tidying up the scripts he commissions from others (Night Terrors, Closing Time are examples), then he will be well on his way, but I think at the moment he is stretching himself too thin and not giving the show the 100% it needs.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 06:13:17 pm »

I have gone with a 4 and that is mainly because S5 was excellent. S6 always had a lot to live up to and while it improved on some things, mainly the toning down of Amy, less killing of Rory and more stories away from Earth, it also had more clunkers than is justifiable.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 09:09:48 pm »

I've gone with a three. Middle of the road. Since Moff took over the show has become really inconsistent. It's awesome episode followed by awful episode followed by awesome episode and it makes the whole thing feel really uneven. There are loads and loads of highlights from his two years so far, but for me his two years also homes some of the shows worst stories.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 04:12:50 pm »

I feel exactly the opposite. I always loved Moff episodes in RTD's era, so when he took over the show I was thrilled. What an initial letdown for me in Series 5. Amy really killed it for me, along with the episodes that I did not like at all. I however came to realize Matt as one of my favorite Doctors, and love River and Rory. With Series 6, I loved it almost completely. Even the "poor" episodes were enjoyable for me. The series arc was fun, although I am glad we are returning to the more episodic format. 

I went with a 4. Moff has brought a more serious tone to the show, which is much more congruent with the Old Who that I'm familiar with.

I'm with you, Miss Wright. I felt S5 was weaker than S6. S6 I've actually really loved, barring two episodes (CotBS/NT).

I went with a 4 anyway. After S5 it might have been a 3, but S6 really stepped it up imo.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 04:12:54 pm »

I have given his era a 4. I have liked the majority of the stuff he has done for the show and I like that he seems to have a very clear direction and opinion of where it should go. I don't think he is always right in his decisions but you have to give him credit for following through on his ideas. I would like to see the focus shifted back to the Doctor more and I think the current TARDIS team has gotten a bit stale so some new companions would go down well, but other than that I am pretty happy. Not every episode is great, but that's the case with any show, isn't it?
Report Spam   Logged
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 02:42:44 pm »

I've given it a four, though I do think Moffat is on a slippery slope and is in danger of making the show border on stupid. Some of the themes he covers barely make sense and some of the things he has the Doctor doing and capable of just seem a bit stretched. I'm still enjoying a lot of the stories, but I think even they could be better.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: