The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 03:27:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Wishing For Things To Happen

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wishing For Things To Happen  (Read 75 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: December 26, 2011, 03:19:36 pm »

I'm really not keen on the way that over the last two years the show keeps reverting back to the whole 'if you wish it, it will happen' type of plot device. In the latest episode we had Madge missing her husband so much that she wished him into the vortex, the Doctor telling her to make a wish if she wants to see him again and the kids making a Christmas wish list that made it's way into the TARDIS, but it goes back through series 5 and 6 as well (Bracewell being the earliest I can think of). I thought it was naff before, but now it just feels annoying.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 04:06:17 pm »

I actually totally agree. Moff has said several times about making the show fairytale-like but I think that's a bad thing. I know the show isn't real, but in the 'whoniverse' it is and the great thing about the show is while it doesn't take itself too seriously, it's all still very serious, if that makes sense, and so to start doing all this 'if you wish it, it will happen', seems a bit like a p1ss take. The show has always tried to stay within the 'factual sci-fi' banner, but wishing things to happen is a step too far I think.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 01:23:01 pm »

I agree. It's as though the Doctor has become some sort of fairy godmother. He got summoned accross time and space by that little boy in Closing Time, they convinced Bracewell to wish himself (or near enough) out of being a bomb, I assumed from the beginning of the latest story that he somehow got the kids Christmas lists, or at least that's how it was implied, then he told Madge to just wish for him and he would know. I think it stretches the belief and the boundaries of just what exactly it is that he can do.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 04:34:54 pm »

It definately feels unrealistic, even in the Whoniverse. The Doctor seems to be becoming like a Wizard lately. It's like there is nothing he can't do and this is just another one of those silly things he can now do that doesn't make sense. It's also really annoying from a story point of view.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 03:41:47 pm »

There seems to be much more of a fantasy/fairytale element recently, and I don't particularly like it to be honest.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 06:03:40 pm »

Every once in a while I like the idea that a little Dobby/Doctor can pop up and focus the collective will of mankind to - for example - defeat an evil time lord. Just occasionally I can almost believe that the Doctor can hear a frightened boy - who turns out to be some sort of Alien parasite just looking for love - from across the universe. However, despite really enjoying the Xmas Special for what it was I now find that I'm being asked to believe that if a mum has to give some tragic news in war, then all she has to do is wish really hard. Let us make no mistake, sad though it was, how many other equally deserving "Madge's" didn't have the benefit of a Doctor, just had to grit their teeth and tell their kids that Daddy wasn't coming home.

I remember the time when the Doctor used to say he was a "Scientist" or even "an Explorer". Now he seems to be one step removed from Rentaghost! Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the Xmas special as a bit of fluffy, warm story telling. But equally, I promise you, nobody wishes harder than I do for a touch on the Euromillions. When it was the £151million jackpot I almost burst I was wishing so hard. Yet this seems to be feeding kids the wrong message. Don't worry about tough decisions - the Doctor will whip up a time vortex, think really hard and wallop - it will all be sorted. That is not my experience of life.

Can I please have my slightly eccentric scientist/explorer back please?
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 10:19:04 pm »

Excellently put!
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 02:39:16 pm »

Can I please have my slightly eccentric scientist/explorer back please?

That really is all we need. It worked for all this time, why change it now?
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 02:38:58 pm »

My aunt, who is a big fan, wouldn't stop going on about this when we spoke about it and I can totally see hers, and everyone elses point. Even in the most outlandish stories there has always been a degree of 'well, that could be possible' to it, but suddenly that's changed and having the Doctor as some sort of psychic fairy is a bit much. It's odd because Moffat seems to complain about the Doctor being 'Godlike' and yet keeps giving him these extremely Godlike 'powers'.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: