The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 09:39:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The Gunfighters

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
4/5 - Really Good - 2 (18.2%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 7 (63.6%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 2 (18.2%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The Gunfighters  (Read 568 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:52:16 pm »

Hello all. It's been a few weeks since a new story was posted, thanks to pesky Christmas getting in the way, but we return now with the First Doctor story, The Gunfighters.

Arriving in the town of Tombstone, the First Doctor finds himself involved with gunmen, out to kill Doc Holliday...

The Gunfighters was the eighth story of Season 3 of Doctor Who. Its final episode, "The O. K. Corral", was the last individually-titled episode until The Five Doctors, the ninety-minute 20th Anniversary special.

This story saw Doctor Who's take on the gunfight at the O.K. Corral. William Hartnell would later claim that the Wild West setting was his idea, a statement which was confirmed on the DVD bonus features. The director, Rex Tucker, was originally chosen to direct An Unearthly Child but filming interfered with a holiday he had booked. This was Tucker's only Who credit.

The Gunfighters was the only serial to have a song written especially for it until The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, decades later. "The Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon" was sung off screen by Lynda Baron who would later appear in Enlightenment and Closing Time.

The role of Johnny Ringo was offered to veteran actor Patrick Troughton, but he was too busy. Troughton would later be asked back, and won the role of the Second Doctor. The actor playing Doc Holliday, Anthony Jacobs, brought his son, Matthew Jacobs onto the set. Matthew would later write the telemovie.

The poor AI ratings received by The Gunfighters strengthened Donald Cotton's argument that historical stories should be axed.

The next story will be posted on Sunday January 8th.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 12:20:17 pm »

It will be interesting to see how people take to this one. It never has been very popular. I've not rewatched it since I got the DVD so this is a good excuse I guess.
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 05:38:06 pm »

I've never seen this one. It seems to get mixed reviews though so I don't hold out much hope for excellence.
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 05:32:15 pm »

This gets a 3 from me. Generally I quite like the historicals but this one felt a bit like it dragged, despite only being 4 eps long. I also wasn't keen on the song that came in to change every scene. It was a novelty at first but got tedious towards the end.

That said though, I love the setting and the costumes and given the budgets and restraints they faced I think they did a pretty awesome job. I have to admit I was sort of dreading this one. I'd heard it was awful and that it was the worst rated story ever, but I think that it was actually pretty good. There were things I didn't like so much but it definately doesn't deserve to be the story with the lowest ever AI.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 04:07:30 pm »

I think this is one of those stories that looked good on paper but didn't really come off on screen as well as it could have. It's probably down to budgets more than anything else, though it did feel a bit like this story could have been done over two episodes. With that in mind though it does have its moments where it's pretty good and some funny lines mixed in too. It's also worth it just to see the look of shame on Stevens face as he sings along beside the piano Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 04:07:42 pm »

I'm giving it a 3
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 06:18:54 pm »

I gave it a three as well. Doctor Who in the early days did like an historical romp - and the wild west seemed tailor-made for Who travellers. Unfortunately as K.E.P. and Exterminate both say, it just didn't quite work for me either. The script was a little laboured and the whole situation was a bit forced. Sadly, the Wild West never looked so middle class and RADA'd - and I don't think that helped. I agree with the general consensus - some nice moments but nothing that couldn't have been done in two episodes
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 10:31:04 pm »

I'm going with a four. It's never been a popular story and it's not one I put on very often, but it's sort of a bit of a guilty pleasure I guess. It was definately punching above it's weight, no doubt about that, but at least it gave it a go. It's better to try and fail, as they say.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 01:52:39 pm »

I gave it a two, and that's only because of Hartnell and Purves's comic sense.  The whole thing's a pantomime version of the Wild West, it's historically all over the place, and the accents are appalling.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 12:30:43 pm »

I've given it a three. I love 'wild west' type stuff and this is bad, but I still find it enjoyable enough. It's not a great story and factually it was all over the place, but if you don't take it too seriously it's not a difficult watch.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 01:58:08 pm »

I'm going to go with a three as well. It was one of those stories where it just feels like everything should come together and work brilliantly, but never really translates onto the screen. It's also one of the very few historicals where the lack of sci-fi feels really obvious and not in a good way. The cast was all good though and I love some of the costumes.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 03:25:54 pm »

I have gone with a 2. This had all the potential to be so much better, even on 1960s budgets, but they squeezed in too many characters, had that dreadful song in the background and fictionalised events that were actually well documented. It was acted well though and had some funny bits so that's why it didn't get a 1.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 03:18:30 pm »

fictionalised events that were actually well documented.

I don't mind that too much though. Unless it's the news or a documentary then I think it's pretty much a given that the truth will be poked, prodded and stretched to fit the story being told. Every 'based on' story does it to some extent. Come to think of it, often so does the news and documentaries.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 10:58:56 pm »

Not one of my favourites, this, but by no means one of the worst of the First Doctor era. I really didn't like the song that kept playing and it was about 45 minutes longer than it needed to be, but when it was good it was really quite enjoyable.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 12:16:21 am »

fictionalised events that were actually well documented.

I don't mind that too much though. Unless it's the news or a documentary then I think it's pretty much a given that the truth will be poked, prodded and stretched to fit the story being told. Every 'based on' story does it to some extent. Come to think of it, often so does the news and documentaries.

There's a difference between poked, prodded and stretched, and cut into small pieces and reassembled in a completely different order.  It always annoys me when a film totally rewrites a well-known story - if they're going to write their own story, why pretend it's something else? *coughTroycough*
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 06:24:12 pm »

Awww no, don't pick on Troy. I know there are quite sizeable liberties taken within the script, but I love that film
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 09:34:41 pm »

It's definately not an educational film, put it that way, but I like Troy too.

Doctor Who for the most part has been pretty good with historical accuracies I think. More often than not they tend to just write themselves into the action without disturbing the actual known events. Off the top of my head I think The Gunfighters was one of the worst offenders.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 01:31:00 am »

Awww no, don't pick on Troy. I know there are quite sizeable liberties taken within the script, but I love that film

Like the beginning, the middle and the end  Undecided  It probably is an entertaining film if you just take it simply as it is, but it's just plain not the story of the Trojan War, which is one of the greatest stories of western literature.  Like I said, if they wanted to write their own story, why couldn't they have just called it their own?
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 07:18:15 pm »

I wouldn't recommend it to someone who was looking to learn about Troy and the war, I know that much, but just as a film without concentrating too much on fact I think it's a good film.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 01:31:16 pm »

I love Troy. It's one of my favourite films.

This though, I was a little less keen about. It's not as bad as it's reputation would have us believe, but it's not really worthy of buckets of praise either. It has it's funny moments, but the downside to that is that I don't think they were all intentional. I like western stories, but this isn't a great one and the song made it that little bit worse. I'm going with a 3
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: