The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 05:34:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Dodo Chaplet

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dodo Chaplet  (Read 396 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: December 29, 2011, 09:17:53 pm »

Dodo Chaplet was a companion of the Doctor near the end of his first incarnation. He took to her within seconds of their first encounter, citing her physical similarity to his granddaughter. She was perhaps most notable for being the first female since Susan to have travelled alone with the Doctor, and the first female human to do so.

She had limited contact with other companions, only spending significant time with Steven Taylor. Dodo met and hit it off with Polly briefly in 1965's London, and was with her when Polly first encountered Ben Jackson. Neither Ben nor Polly had yet seen the TARDIS when Dodo chose to stop travelling with the Doctor, sending word of her decision to leave him via Polly.

After a brief travelling period, she and the Doctor arrived in 1966 London and discovered WOTAN and its War Machines, where WOTAN conditioned her to betray the Doctor. The Doctor broke her conditioning, and sent Dodo to the country to recuperate, but Dodo never returned. She sent her TARDIS key back with Polly, saying that she had decided to stay in London and that was the last that was seen of her.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 05:44:57 pm »

Dodo is a strange one. She doesn't really have enough stuff surviving to judge her sufficiently but in the stories and episodes we do have I always found her to be pleasent and quite watchable, so I never really understood all the bad press she gets from fandom. She is sort of infamous because of her exit and I think that might cloud some peoples views of her as 'the girl who got dropped' or whatever, but she was a nice character and a good actress and I can't help but think that perhaps it's now just a bit 'cool' to jump on the bandwagon and say you dislike her or that she is bad, even if you haven't seen her in action, just because it's the common thing to do. Another famous victim of this bandwagon of course is Colin Baker.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 04:12:52 pm »

I think Dodo's biggest problem was that she looked about 28, so the fact she was playing a teenager was a little unrealistic. I like what I have seen of her though, which only amounts to 2 and a half stories, so I suppose that's not really much to go on.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 10:55:34 pm »

I've always thought that the issue a lot of people took with Dodo is that she didn't bring anything new to the show. In fact, they tried so hard to make her Susan that it sort of took a step backwards. I think she was written well and Jackie Lane played her fine, but the character just didn't give anything new to the audience.
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 10:55:50 pm »

I've always thought that the issue a lot of people took with Dodo is that she didn't bring anything new to the show. In fact, they tried so hard to make her Susan that it sort of took a step backwards. I think she was written well and Jackie Lane played her fine, but the character just didn't give anything new to the audience.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 01:55:19 pm »

I wouldn't say Dodo's bad, just a bit unmemorable, though I suspect that's more to do with the writing than the performance.  As with Colin Baker, Jackie Lane got blamed for faults that weren't really hers.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 02:06:24 pm »

Dodo was nice enough, but she just had no edge to her. You can see the difference they were trying to go for when you compare her to Polly who replaced her. It's all well and good being nice, but nice isn't always interesting.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 03:31:38 pm »

This is my thought, too. She was basically Susan with a different face. The only major difference is that she whined less.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 11:20:55 pm »

Dodo was nice enough, but she just had no edge to her. You can see the difference they were trying to go for when you compare her to Polly who replaced her. It's all well and good being nice, but nice isn't always interesting.

Exactly right. Nice, but forgettable
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: