The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 01:34:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Doctor Who v Star Trek Crossover

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doctor Who v Star Trek Crossover  (Read 263 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: January 01, 2012, 06:33:28 pm »

This is a little weird after watching The Gunfighters but I was struck by a thought. I don't know how familiar you all are with the Star Trek episode "Spectre of the Gun" from the Original Series so I shall provide a brief synopsis:

Kirk et al get marooned in a Wild West scenario as a punishment for intruding in the space of the Metrons. As they go around meeting various Wild West characters, they find that they can't escape and that events are drawing towards our Starfleet chums playing the part of the Clanton Gang at the Battle of the O.K. Corral. Turns out, however, that the Metrons are powerful telepaths and that none of the events they are seeing are real. Anyhoo, long story short, they turn up to the O.K. Corral and the only way out is to not fight back but to completely believe that the bullets are an illusion or they will all die.

Watching the Gunfighters got me thinking what a brilliant little Doctor Who-style story "Spectre of the Gun" actually is and how well it would work within our humble little franchise, much better - in fact - than the Gunfighters did. I don't go a big bundle on crossover stuff (Darth Vader having a latte with Davros is not the stuff of my imaginings) but I do think this was a very "Who-like" story.

I'm not sure why I had to share this, but I feel better having got it off my chest.

Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:17:36 pm »

Comparing Who and Trek? Isn't that illegal? Shocked

I'm not big on Star Trek but I think I may have seen the episode you're referring to. Something about it seems familiar, either way. I actually downloaded the whole of the classic series about a year ago but never got past the pilot episode with different cast. I'll have to try it all again.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:14:40 am »

Yes, I know that one.  It takes the opposite view, with the Earps as a bunch of thugs and the Clantons as ranchers trying to make an honest living.  It's interesting that the Gunfight at the OK Corral is the only specific event that's figured on both Doctor Who and Star Trek.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 02:08:03 pm »

It's interesting that the Gunfight at the OK Corral is the only specific event that's figured on both Doctor Who and Star Trek.

Is it really just the one? I never really followed Star Trek but I would have assumed there would have been more similarites like that on both shows.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 11:04:21 pm »

It's interesting that the Gunfight at the OK Corral is the only specific event that's figured on both Doctor Who and Star Trek.

Is it really just the one? I never really followed Star Trek but I would have assumed there would have been more similarites like that on both shows.

Star Trek doesn't do a lot of history or time travel, although there is a bit, so there aren't that many real-life events in it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: