The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 06:07:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Jack Harkness

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack Harkness  (Read 183 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:25 pm »

Captain Jack Harkness was the name adopted by a Time Agent and con man from the 51st century who became an associate and occasional companion of the Doctor. He was made reluctantly immortal by the Bad Wolf and stranded on Earth from the mid-19th to the early 21st century. During much of that time, he worked for Torchwood Three until its destruction in 2009. He left Earth in 2010, but returned in 2011 when Miracle Day spread across the world.

While running a con involving a Chula ambulance in the London Blitz, he spotted Rose Tyler hanging from a barrage balloon and rescued her, taking her aboard his ship. Rose introduced him to the Ninth Doctor and the trio shared numerous adventures together and clicked as a team to the point where Mickey Smith found himself an outsider during a shared adventure.

After Jack was left on Satellite Five after the battle with the Daleks, he used the Vortex manipulator in his Time Agency wrist strap to return to Cardiff, the site of an active space-time rift. Jack ended up in 1869. His Vortex manipulator burned out and he could not leave. In 1899, Torchwood Cardiff agents Alice Guppy and Emily Holroyd found out about Jack. They captured and tortured him to discover why he could not die and what connection he had to the Doctor, the Torchwood Institute's enemy. He was released on the condition that he work for Torchwood, an offer which he initially refused outright. The two asked him to reconsider this option, and Jack wound up in a bar, alone until a young cartomancer offered to read him his fortune. She gave a completely accurate prophecy of the Doctor's eventual return to Cardiff 100 years into the future. Left with nothing to do but wait for a full century until his version of the Doctor coincided with his timeline, Jack reconsidered Torchwood's offer and began working for them and awaiting the Doctor's return, over the years becoming the head of the Torchwood Three Division.

ack Harkness' personality was willfully enigmatic. Before being cursed with immortality, he was flippant former con man who loved adventuring with the Doctor and seducing beings throughout the galaxy. Jack automatically flirted with most people he met, not caring about their gender or if they were human, alien or even robots. The Doctor often told him to stop and Jack would often reply "I'm just saying hello". Although friendly and flirtatious, Jack could also be ruthless at times and did not hesitate to kill anyone or anything that he felt was a threat. This sometimes got him into trouble with his allies in Torchwood who disapproved of his lack of compassion. On one occasion Owen Harper shot him because he felt that Jack didn't care about what they had lost. Although he could be aggressive, Jack still cared deeply about his allies and was devastated when any of them were harmed or killed.

Due to his immortality, it is widely speculated that Jack will age into The Face Of Boe.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:44:13 pm »

I like Jack in this story and for most of series 1, but with his returns to the show, even his little cameo in TEOT, I find him to be really annoying. In Torchwood I think he is at his best and I like the character a lot, just not so much in DW, which is why I'm not one of the ones who calls for his return. In this story though I think he worked really well.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 03:20:02 pm »

I like Jack in this. He has a mote devious and mysterious quality to him that I think was lost in later appearances. He has a sort of cheeky charm to him but you would never fully trust him. All that was sort of lost afterwards I think.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 05:43:07 pm »

I did like Jack's later appearances, and I love him in Torchwood, but I'd agree that this was his best DW performance.
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:24:20 pm »

Definately his best Who appearance. I'm a bit like Saber in that I don't particularly like him in DW but really enjoy him in TW. It was definately a great introductory story for him.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 04:51:37 pm »

I think I am the opposite to most people. I like him in this story but I prefer his later appearances where he is more like the Jack we have in Torchwood, though a bit more toned down.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 12:54:35 pm »

In terms of Doctor Who appearances, Jack was never better than he was during series 1, and this story in particular. I like the Jack we get in Torchwood, but like a lot of the others I am not so keen on his return appearances.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 04:22:08 pm »

I agree, Series 1 Jack was better than what we got later, though his dress sense left a lot to be desired. His bomber jacket from The Long Game always makes me laugh. It's so bad. I liked him instantly in this story and was gutted when he didn't return for the second series, but then we got Torchwood and they upped his awesome. He was never as good when he return to Who though.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 08:52:56 pm »

I think more than anything else, the introduction of Jack was just so important. I think he really pushed the show into the 21st century. His sexuality and lifestyle and character was like nothing we had seen in the show before and I think his character, like him or not, really helped to update the show.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: