The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 10:37:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

First Look At Ten

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Look At Ten  (Read 847 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: October 01, 2010, 11:26:25 am »

Tonight I am unwrapping my series 2 box set and getting my first proper glimpse of David Tennant as the Doctor. I finally finished Series 1 earlier this week and I absolutely loved it. There were a couple of episodes which werent so great, but none that were terrible. Everybody has been telling me that Tennant was the best Doctor so I have very high hopes for these coming episodes. Its nice that Rose is still in it though. I really like her character. I just really hope that it hasnt all been too overhyped. Although I have heard ten is great, I have also heard that series 2 isnt so great, so hopefully there will be a nice balance. Im still excited nonetheless. Just thought I would share this with everyone Smiley Its only a shame I am so far behind the rest of you discovering all this.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 11:41:37 am »

You're not that far behind.  6 months ago I had never seen a Doctor Who episode and now I am obsessed!  Can't wait to hear what you think of 10!!
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 11:46:27 am »

I only discovered DW in the last 6 months or so too. I'm only fully up to date with the new series because I bought the Series 1-4 & specials boxsets & pretty much watched non-stop.

As a friend of mine told me this week - it's never too late to discover a great show (well she said film but same diff!) Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 11:51:14 am »

I find Series 2 the hardest to rewatch. Its like a field of landmines. Got to get through the duffers to get to the total gems. Some brilliant stuff there, but overall my least favourite series.

Ten is great though and you will no doubt love it to bits. It was only when series 3 and 4 blew it out of the water it that I started picking holes in it.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 11:55:51 am »

Im just going to try and look at series 2 with fresh eyes and put out of my mind the good and bad that people have told me about. If I love it then great, but if I hate it then I always have series 3, 4 and the specials to make up for it. Im sure I will love it though Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 12:05:47 pm »

Yea, even if you dont like S2, S3 and 4 are amazing. The specials are a bit hit and miss according to some, but I loved them all. Except The Next Doctor. That was ****
Report Spam   Logged

DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 01:59:36 am »

Personally I can't stand Ten.  I find his shouting and grimacing and bug-eyed stares to be the ultimate in annoying.  Series 2 is my least favorite; I thought the stories were terrible and Rose and Ten were more like a couple of giggling teenagers than anything else.  I couldn't believe I was watching the same show after the awesomeness of series 1.   I found series 4 to be the best of Ten's seasons, but that was only because of Donna.  She's a great companion!
Report Spam   Logged
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 01:22:29 pm »

I loved ten to begin with, the speech he gives in The Christmas Invasion before pushing the button is probably my favourite DW speech ever and DT delivers it perfectly.  I however really don't like the change in direction that RTD took the show with the companions and how the Doctor becomes almost god like.  I can't fault the writing or acting as in the main it would be fantastic if it wasn't for the fact that it is meant to be Doctor Who not a soap opera.

I'm trying to be a vague as possible here because I don't want to spoiler it for Tardis-Console (can I call you TC?).  There are some great stories ahead for you, I hope you enjoy the ride and let us know your thoughts as you watch them Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 02:51:17 pm »

Barcelona.
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 07:05:00 pm »

I loved ten to begin with, the speech he gives in The Christmas Invasion before pushing the button is probably my favourite DW speech ever and DT delivers it perfectly.  I however really don't like the change in direction that RTD took the show with the companions and how the Doctor becomes almost god like.  I can't fault the writing or acting as in the main it would be fantastic if it wasn't for the fact that it is meant to be Doctor Who not a soap opera.

I also enjoyed The Christmas Invasion and I thought I was going to like Ten based on what I saw there.  Alas.  Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 11:40:03 pm »

I thought Tennant's version of the Doctor was magical. I am not a huge fan of season 2 but there is certainly enough there for major enjoyment. I think you are in for a treat and I really am envious. I wish I could have my mind wiped so I can start again. We all have our favourite iteration of the show - the miracle is that (i think) most fans can tolerate most aspects of the show. The Doctors have been so different that there should have been at least one that I didn't like - and yet i've loved them all.

I'd be really interested for you to post after a few watches, Tardis Console, and let us know how you think things are shaping up. I am discovering the Sarah Jane Adventures for the first time and it is such a refreshing experience - I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 06:28:07 pm »

I though most of Series 2 was a bit crap too. Some real gems in there, but getting to the good stuff is hard. Series 3 and 4 though, as Peri Peri said, really make up for it
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Doomsday
Hatchling

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

View Profile
Poll Voter Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 06:46:48 pm »

I am so jealous. I'd give anything to watch episodes again for the first time.
Report Spam   Logged

If these are going to be my last words then you're going to listen. I met the Emperor. And I took the time vortex and poured it into his head and turned it into dust.
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 09:19:00 am »

I am so jealous. I'd give anything to watch episodes again for the first time.

Yea I know what you mean. I dont love Series 2, but to watch it all again with fresh eyes would be superb.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 09:34:48 am »

I am enjoying what I have seen so far. Ive been really impressed. Though I am still unsure of how I feel about the Tenth Doctor. Highlights so far have included the skin woman, Cassandra is it? jumping around bodies in New Earth. Billie's comedic timing surprised me. LOVED Tooth and Claw though generally I dont like werewolf stories too much. I got my first look at Sarah Jane and K9 which was pretty cool, though the aliens in that episode were a bit rubbish and the Girl In The Fireplace had me weeping buckets.

I am watching the Cybermen two parter tonight which I am dead excited about after seeing how scary the one underneath stonehenge was in The Pandorica Opens
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 09:46:07 am »

I am watching the Cybermen two parter tonight which I am dead excited about after seeing how scary the one underneath stonehenge was in The Pandorica Opens

There is so much I want to say about this comment, but I think it is best left unsaid Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

awkward91
Tin Dog

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 3 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 04:54:04 pm »

I'm re-watching s2 for the first time since original broadcast with the current BBC3 airings. Enjoyed The Idiot's Lantern over lunch today. It's telling that until now I hadn't rewatched s2, cos it was such a disappointment overall, but there are still decent things in there. Tooth & Claw, for me, just isn't Doctor Who, but New Earth was actually a lot better than I remembered. Cocky Rose is rubbish though, although Billie did act The Idiot's Lantern very well I though.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes impossible things happen and we call them miracles...
MissTardis
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: 9th
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 05:28:34 pm »

This trend is for me as I discovered Ten only a few weeks ago!
I was afraid to be disappointed because I had heard how much D. Tennant was brilliant and also because it was my first "change" of doctor ever! Yeah, I'm a newbie Smiley
Actually I like Tennant more and more, it was just difficult to leave Nine! As I said in my presentation I really really like him and even if I wanted to see DT in action, only one season with C. Eccleston was not enough for me. But I thank Rose for let me "mourn" him with her in the beggining of the 2nd series. It was not her doctor and I was feeling for and with her.
I still have 4 episodes of series 2 to watch, so I didn't know Ten so much but I like him, for sure!
Report Spam   Logged

awkward91
Tin Dog

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 3 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 06:48:20 pm »

I still have 4 episodes of series 2 to watch

Don't get your hopes up for them...
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes impossible things happen and we call them miracles...
MissTardis
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: 9th
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 07:33:30 pm »

hum...thanks for the advise^^
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print