The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 06:19:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Jamie McCrimmon

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jamie McCrimmon  (Read 220 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:42:20 pm »

James Robert "Jamie" McCrimmon, son of Donald McCrimmon, a piper like his father and his father's father, was one of the longest serving companions to travel with the Doctor and the longest serving male companion to date.

Jamie first met the Doctor in the aftermath of the English defeat of the Jacobite Rebellion at the Battle of Culloden on 16 April 1746, during which he was the piper for Clan McLaren. Jamie and his fellow Highlanders faced either being hung, butchered by the Duke of Cumberland or sold into an unsurvivable seven-year slavery on the plantations in the West Indies. After escaping the gallows, an unsure Jamie was urged to follow the Second Doctor, Ben Jackson and Polly Wright into the mysterious TARDIS.

More often than not, Jamie wore a kilt with a red tartan. He was often chided for continuing to wear his kilt, even in situations where it was too cold to wear it. It was sometimes jokingly referred to as a dress or skirt, to which he would take offense.

Jamie was simple and straightforward, but he was also intelligent, practical and full of common sense. It was these qualities which often put him ahead of his companions. Although he didn't understand the TARDIS, he was enthusiastic about it. His journey was a voyage of discovery; and almost everything he experienced was new to him. He struggled to understand many things, yet he battled against this and thoroughly enjoyed his adventures.

Jamie saw the Doctor as a friend and mentor. He loved to travel and enjoyed his adventures. He learnt a lot through his experiences, but also believed the Doctor needed his help.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 06:11:12 pm »

I like Jamie in this story. He wasn't particularly 'better' in terms of what he was doing in the story, but I do think he was written better in terms of dialogue and whatnot. If it wasn't for the Doctor and companions being on form, this story would have been even more dire.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 04:23:26 am »

See I'm the opposide. Perhaps it's my dislike for it, but I found Jamie to be irritating throughout. Moreso than usual
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:53:41 pm »

He really does seem to split fandom these days. Most people who watched him when he actually was the companion seem fond of him, but a lot of people who have watched after the fact seem to get irritated by him. I think Jamie is a good companion and was good in this story, but I am on the fence with him. He doesn't particularly bother me, but I don't think he is particularly stand-out either, other than for the length of his tenure.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:54:11 pm »

Although he did have an excellent, perhaps one of the best, relationship with the Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 03:37:37 pm »

I do think he has a good relationship with the Doctor and you can tell they were fond of each other beyond the show, but as a character I find him pretty run of the mill and I don't really understand his popularity. He was definately one of the best male companions of the classics, but there wasn't exactly a lot of competition.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 02:00:33 pm »

I do think he has a good relationship with the Doctor and you can tell they were fond of each other beyond the show, but as a character I find him pretty run of the mill and I don't really understand his popularity. He was definately one of the best male companions of the classics, but there wasn't exactly a lot of competition.

This is pretty much exactly what I would have said. Jamie is good just because he isn't bad, but nothing really stands out for me about him.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 12:44:34 pm »

I like Jamie. I think he perhaps stayed on a bit to long though and as a result started to become a bit stale, but he wasn't a bad character by any means
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 12:44:42 pm »

I like Jamie. I think he perhaps stayed on a bit to long though and as a result started to become a bit stale, but he wasn't a bad character by any means
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 03:06:40 pm »

I've always loved Jamie, and I do like the way this story gives him the chance to use the skills he's learnt fighting the redcoats.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: