The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 12:10:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

CSO - Did It Ruin The Story?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CSO - Did It Ruin The Story?  (Read 315 times)
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:49:27 pm »

The CSO/Green Screen was used quite heavily throughout this story and while it worked better in some respects than it had in other stories, at times it looked really naff and unconvincing and I think is one of the reasons why this story is often poorly regarded among fandom. Do you think it ruined or hindered the story at all, or do you find it easy to overlook given the SFX constraints of the time and the lack of budget they had while making the story?
Report Spam   Logged
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 02:23:25 am »

Hmm, I'm not sure. It wasn't so bad in the opening episode, which was definately a lot stronger than the later three (though thats more writing than the CSO), but I think that the story was made worse in the later episodes by the fact that so much time was spent running around the caves so not only did they get boring to look at in terms of seeing the same thing over and over, but also annoying because it all looked so obviously fake. The stuff in the shaft with the bad music and badly acted freefalling in front of the dodgy green background was the absolute worst of the lot. It didn't ruin the story as such, but it definately played a part in what makes it so bad.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 05:53:26 pm »

I don't think it ruined the story but I do think that it made it harder to focus on everything else going on, especially early on. You get more used to it as the story goes on but I think it's the excessive use of it that makes it worse. If it was used sparingly it wouldn't have been so bad, but they used it quite a lot for one story.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 05:56:41 pm »

I wouldn't say it ruined the story, but it certainly didn't help.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 01:48:46 am »

My personal opinion is that it didn't ruin the story, but they did use too much of it. Way too much of it. They may have been low on budgets but they had enough money to create a few sets and I think those sets could have been used more or even redressed to look like other areas, to take the focus off the CSO
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:02:34 pm »

I think they overdid it for sure, but I don't think that it ruined the story as such. It was better than a lot of the other times they had used it and when it worked it didn't look too bad, but there were times when it got a bit distracting, like when people were walking through cave walls.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:48:28 pm »

It stood out a bit at first, and was used perhaps a bit too much, but it definately didn't ruin the story. I stopped noticing it after a while
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 10:53:48 pm »

I don't think it ruined the story, but it definately contributed to how bad it was. The script did the rest.
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 07:38:12 pm »

Surely it would have made more sense to split the budget from the following story and then share the CSO out rather than have so much in just the one story. I don't think it ruined Underworld, but I think it definately worsened the serial
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 02:12:01 pm »

As I said in the other thread - the decision to rely so heavily on a fairly clumsy piece of tech was a poor production decision. They should have either re-written or re-worked it so it the CSO was less obtrusive. Or perhaps used Matte paintings and creative scenery instead. The CSO detracted from the story telling substantially.

That said, in 1977 a large number of houses still had black and white TVs and the colour TVs of the time were fairly dodgy so perhaps I'm being a little harsh.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: