The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:37:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Space Museum - The First Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Space Museum - The First Doctor  (Read 875 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:21:53 pm »

Ok, so I got this back in March when it was released, but never got around to watching it. Ive read the novelisation a few years ago when I found it in a bootsale, and I had seen a few clips, but I took the opportunity on my weekend away to get tucked in and I have to say it has shot right in to my top 3 classic stories. I loved it. The story was brilliant, coherant and easy to follow. The sets were great and the acting top notch. Im gutted it took me so long to get around to watching it, but I would reccomend it to anyone. Its brilliant. Who has seen it and what are your thoughts?
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:10:55 am »

What a corker!! I cant believe you waited so long before watching. Some great comedy moments in it too which are often overlooked. Like the Doctor coming out of the Dalek and his images popping up on the screen. This serial is often overlooked, but it is one of the best of the First Doctor serial imo
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 05:43:01 pm »

Yea I would agree. I really loved it. Next up, The Ark Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 06:58:30 pm »

This is one of the few classics I have actually seen and I really enjoyed it. Some bits were a bit random, and some of the guest stars werent the best actors, but it was a good enough little story
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 12:40:07 am »

I think this had one the best first episodes ever.  It fell away a little after that, but there were some great moments.  I loved Vicki bullying the boys into starting their revolution, instead of just talking about it.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 11:11:47 pm »

I agree with Nyki, great opener but it tapered off a fair bit after that. Still, its a good little story. Often overlooked though
Report Spam   Logged
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 11:05:54 pm »

Just watched this for the first time last night. Another one that's far better than its reputation would suggest. Okay so it turns into a bit of a standard run-around-the-corridors-helping-the-nice-rebels-take-on-the-nasty-rulers-type yarn in the second half, but I loved the idea of the characters seeing the horrible fate that awaited them, then spending the whole rest of the story not knowing whether each thing they do is moving them closer to or further away from that fate.
Also rather a clever idea that they somehow manage to arrive on the planet before they arrive there then have to wait for themselves to turn up before they can start their adventure.
And also the way that it seemed as if the only reason the inept Moroks manage to stay in charge is because the rebels are even more hopeless than they are and can't start a revolution because they can't manage to open a door!

And, let's face it, who could possibly dislike a story where we see a giggling William Hartnell pop up out of a dalek?
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 12:21:47 am »

Incidentally, when I was at uni, I once based an argument about the Odyssey on the there-but-not-there dilemma in this story, and everyone was quite impressed.  Who said being a Doctor Who fan never helped you?  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 04:57:33 am »

A story that by it's nature could've benefited greatly from being shortened, but a great start off episode. It reminds me of the beginning of The Girl Who Waited. I also love the infamous scene of Hartnell hiding inside a Dalek. His laugh is just the scariest thing, honestly.

This story is better than people say, but a bit too modern for its time.
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 10:43:45 am »

Pretty good this, ain't it! I've just finished episode one. Nice bit of a timey wimey
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 11:54:41 am »

I watched it a little while ago & have to say I enjoyed it. As a Star Wars fan I also loved that it features a young Jeremy Bulloch who would go on to play Boba Fett  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 12:05:56 pm »

I watched it a little while ago & have to say I enjoyed it. As a Star Wars fan I also loved that it features a young Jeremy Bulloch who would go on to play Boba Fett  Cheesy

I've known this fact for a long time, though whenever I watch I always forget to look out for him and have no idea which one he plays.
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 12:27:49 pm »

I've known this fact for a long time, though whenever I watch I always forget to look out for him and have no idea which one he plays.

As far as I know he is Tor  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 06:53:58 pm »

As far as I know he is Tor  Smiley

Yes, he's Tor, the leader of the rebels.  He also plays Hal the Archer in The Time Warrior.  Incidentally, one of the other rebels, Dako, is played by Peter Craze, the brother of Michael Craze who later played Ben.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: