The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 09:32:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

No Companions

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Companions  (Read 125 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: February 05, 2012, 04:26:37 pm »

No companion threads to post this week, so instead how do you think this story stood up with no companion to be the 'voice of the audience'. Do you think Tom Baker carried it well on his own, or was it lacking something as a result of the lack of companion?

Share your thoughts Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:29:29 pm »

I know that Tom Baker wanted the spotlight and asked for no new companion to join and I think that would have been a bad move for the show as a whole, however for this story I think it works perfectly and I don't think the story lacked anything by not having a full time companion in tow. In fact, I think it probably would have slowed things down a bit having someone there to explain everything to and running into their own troubles.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 03:23:07 pm »

I missed the companion this week. Having the Doctor talking to himself so much in the first episode seemed a bit odd to me. It's not that I think TB didn't carry the show well enough, but I think he always works best when playing off against someone like Leela or Sarah Jane etc.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 07:59:01 pm »

The only time I think it made a difference was in episode one. The Doctor talking to himself was annoying and I think having someone there on his side to talk to would have sped it up a bit. As a one off story I think it worked fine, but I wouldn't have liked it to last beyond this story.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:59:07 pm »

The only time I think it made a difference was in episode one. The Doctor talking to himself was annoying and I think having someone there on his side to talk to would have sped it up a bit. As a one off story I think it worked fine, but I wouldn't have liked it to last beyond this story.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:32:11 pm »

I agree with Exterminate - it worked fine for this one story (especially as he acquired Spandrel and Engin as pseudo companions) but it could definitely have reduced the impact if it had lasted longer.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 01:33:33 am »

I actually really felt the lack of companion in this. Especially towards the beginning. I think it would have been good if they had done something in the vein of Midnight, where we had small bookend type appearances from the companion. The difficulty though would be the placing of the serial. You couldn't very well introduce a companion here, or have it as a final story for one, and I don't think they were big on moving the serial order back in the day.

I suppose for the most part it worked though. As others have said as a one off it's fine but I wouldn't have liked any more of it.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:54:11 pm »

I think the story would have been improved by having a companion there, if I'm honest. In the first episode it would have helped with the script, but in the later episodes I think it would have really helped to have someone there who really cared and had something to lose if the Doctor didn't make it. I just think it would have upped the drama a bit.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 08:32:48 pm »

I didn't mind the lack of companion really. I think it was a good as a one off but I am glad they didn't do it more often. As Nyki said, it would have lessened the impact that it had in this story, and we get that enough these days with the timey wimey stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 03:21:15 pm »

I didn't mind the lack of companion really. I think it was a good as a one off but I am glad they didn't do it more often. As Nyki said, it would have lessened the impact that it had in this story, and we get that enough these days with the timey wimey stuff.

Well Moff is the king of taking a one off good idea then wringing every drop out of it until everyone is sick of it. Maybe he should take note of this. Though we have essentially had companion-less stories in NuWho so its already been redone I guess.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 09:05:59 pm »

I think as a one off it really worked fine without a companion. I don't even mind the Doctor talking to himself as others seem to. It would annoy me if he was doing it all the time, but its not really too much and seems just like something the Doctor would do, so it's not really so odd.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: