The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 08:19:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The Beast Below

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 2 (14.3%)
4/5 - Really Good - 2 (14.3%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 7 (50%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 3 (21.4%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The Beast Below  (Read 207 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:15:05 pm »

As decided a few weeks ago, NuWho stories will now be shown in pairs. The second of this weeks stories is The Beast Below. The other, Gridlock, Can be found HERE

The Doctor takes Amy on her first trip in the TARDIS to the future, where Britain is in space. Starship UK houses the British people as they search the stars for a new home. As Amy explores, she encounters the terrifying Smilers and learns a deadly truth inside the Voting Booth.

The Beast Below was the second episode of the fifth series of BBC Wales Doctor Who. It was notable for featuring Amy Pond's first trip in the TARDIS. It also brought up some of the Doctor's past interactions with royalty and what effects they've had.

The next story will be posted on February 19th.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:19:24 pm »

I'm giving this a three. I liked the setting a lot and the characters were pretty good, too, but the smilers/winders never really hit the mark. I remember after watching TEH and seeing the advert for this one and thinking they would be terrifying, but they just weren't. I also wasn't keen on the way Moff wrote the ending. He had Amy repeat the same thing 3 times as though we wouldn't understand otherwise. It felt a bit patronising and the political stuff a bit preachy. It has just as many good points though so I think 3 is fair.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 08:24:05 pm »

I've given this a two. It had a few elements that I liked but for the most part it wasn't very enjoyable. For the most part I think it's biggest issue, at the time especially, was that it followed The Eleventh Hour. A hard act to follow by any standards.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:30:48 pm »

I've gone with a three. This was very much a filler episode I think. The Smilers had a lot of potential but ended up being a bit of a letdown. The plot itself was sort of interesting but just felt a like a vehicle for Moff to voice his political annoyances and take swipes, right down to Scotland having its own independent ship. It wouldn't have been so bad if he was more subtle about it. The more I'm writing, the more I'm thinking I should have gone with a 2
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:17:48 pm »

I agree it wasn't as great as The Eleventh Hour but I loved it just the same. One of those where things aren't what the seem and gives us something more complex than the standard good/evil plot, although for much of the time it does seem like that is what it is going to be. I found the whole thing very atmospheric and Matt Smith really cemented his place as my favourite Doc after Tom Baker. Has any Doc had such a freat debut in his first 2 stories?
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:29:00 pm »

Just a two from me. Generally quite disapointing and a bit of a let down after the hype that surrounded it before it aired. There were moments of greatness in it. Matt Smith being particularly good and the first ten to fifteen minutes after the opening credits were quite good too.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 06:36:48 pm »

The second story of a new Doctor's tenure are incredibly difficult shoes to fill. Hartnell had The Daleks, Pertwee had the Silurians, Tom Baker had The Ark in Space, Colin Baker had Attack of the Cybermen and Ecclestone had The End of the World. I honestly thought that The Beast Below was wonderful and sits proudly alongside these iconic stories. I think it also fits in very well with the dramatic new direction that the Moff has taken the show. It had some great scary moments, a good underlying plot and a genuinely touching finale. I thought Matt Smith was simply amazing and Liz 10 was pretty awesome as well.

I have given this a five, partly because of how amazing I thought the actual story was (by this stage in the shows development I was genuinely beginning to think that Moff could do no wrong) but partly because of the thrill of excitement i got when I realised that the performance of Matt Smith in this story meant that we had a genuinely gifted actor and someone who was - and remains - capable of such a wide range of acting.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 10:01:21 pm »

I gave it 4.  The story had its faults, but I always loved the central concept of the way they misunderstood the whale's motives.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 12:26:25 pm »

3/5 for this one from me. I liked the story. I thought the concept was pretty interesting and the questions it raised were thought provoking enough, but it got a bit boring and way too political. I don't mind when Who does a political subtext. Loads of the classics did it. But this was so obvious and in your face it was like a futuristic, outer space party political broadcast.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 12:26:37 pm »

3/5 for this one from me. I liked the story. I thought the concept was pretty interesting and the questions it raised were thought provoking enough, but it got a bit boring and way too political. I don't mind when Who does a political subtext. Loads of the classics did it. But this was so obvious and in your face it was like a futuristic, outer space party political broadcast.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 08:53:42 pm »

I've gone with what I think is a very generous three. There are elements to it that I enjoyed, but as others have said it seemed like one big political speech by Moff. Ignoring that, I think the Smilers were a let down and the rhyme was really annoying.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 12:33:27 pm »

I was tempted to go with a 1, but gave it a two instead. The story is way too preachy for my tastes and while I understand Moff was still trying to find his footing with the characters, they all seemed too inconsistent/
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 03:04:47 pm »

Three from me, I love the setting and the concept behind this, (especially the whale Tongue) I always find on rewatch this one improves but it still isn't one of my favourites.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 11:00:32 am »

3/5 from me too. It's enjoyable enough to watch, but it isn't one of the best.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 07:07:26 pm »

I've given this a three. It's not a great story, but its not too bad, either. I wasn't keen on it the first time I watched it, but I think that is down to how much I loved TEH. I watched that about 8 times in the week it aired and was expecting so much from this story and it felt like a let down. The more I watch it now, the more I enjoy it, though.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 11:21:31 pm »

4/5 from me. I quite like this. I do understand why it isn't so popular, but I thought as a one off story it sort of works, especially as one of its main focuses was just to bed in the new Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: