The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 07:00:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The Space Museum

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 1 (6.3%)
4/5 - Really Good - 6 (37.5%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 6 (37.5%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 2 (12.5%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 1 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The Space Museum  (Read 548 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: February 19, 2012, 01:22:10 pm »

For this week we are returning to the First Doctor and the second season story The Space Museum.

The TARDIS jumps a time track and the travellers arrive on the planet Xeros. There they discover their own future selves displayed as exhibits in a museum established as a monument to the galactic conquests of the warlike Morok invaders who now rule the planet. When time shifts back to normal, they realise that they must do everything they can to try to avert this potential future.

Vicki helps the native Xerons to obtain arms and thereby to revolt against the Moroks. The revolution succeeds and the travellers go on their way, confident that the future has been changed.

The Space Museum was the seventh story in the second season of Doctor Who. It was the first story to deal with the dimensions of time as well as space. While it presented many original science fiction elements, it still retained the elements of a typical story of the era.

The story's cliff-hanger also presented fans with a preview of the Daleks' third appearance. Their return was awaited impatiently, a fact that was baited by the appearance of a Dalek shell in part one. This shell was the final appearance of the original Dalek design. The Daleks at the end of The Final Phase do not have the metal band of their predecessors.

The next story will be posted on Sunday February 26th
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:33:47 pm »

I've given this a 3, but I think 3.5 would have been fairer. I think it is better than average, but wouldn't call it 'really good', either. It starts off really well. The premise behind it was original to the show and probably the first instance of Timey Wimey that the show attempted. The thing is, I think that while it started out really strong, it got progressively worse until the final episode, which ultimately dragged the overall rating down. It's not an awful story though, by any standards.
Report Spam   Logged
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:00:03 am »

I have given this a score of three. On the one hand, as Saber says, it does get progressively worse from beginning to end, but it has some moments when it is genuinly brilliant. I also think it should be commended for trying something new, and for the most part succeeding in it. Unlike many of the time jumping stories we get today, this was kept coherent and easy to follow. It's not the best story by any means, but it's certainly worthy of some praise.
Report Spam   Logged

ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:39:33 pm »

I agree with what has been said above. A bit of a missed opportunity, with the mind-boggling premise of the first episode then becoming a very conventional slaves vs. masters story. But I'm giving it a 4 even so, partly for its ambition, and i did think there were some really great scenes where the Doctor was being interrogated. Hartnell was very good in this story.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:51:29 pm »

I have given this a 4. It does have its problems but for the most part I think it is an enjoyabe story. I wouldnt say it was one of the best First Doctor stories, or even one of my favourites, but it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 04:37:19 pm »

3/5 from me. It's an ok story but by the end of it I was starting to get bored, which is a shame because it started off really well. It felt a bit like they weren't sure what they wanted to do with it. It had bits of humour and then really serious scenes then it got all dramatic and sort of went in circles.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 12:00:04 am »

I agree it falls off from a brilliant beginning, but there's still a lot to love even in the later episodes.  I'd give episode 1 a 5 and the rest a 3, so I've averaged it out as 4.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:29:30 pm »

I'm giving it a 5. Yes, it loses momentum along the way, but it's still a great story and an interesting take on the timey and wimey and what if's.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:10:38 pm »

I kinda liked the idea of this but wasn't so keen on how it turned out. I don't think the script was the finest ever submitted for the show. Yet the story does have an endearing little charm about it. It will never be the first choice to take off my shelf and watch but I don't hate it either. Therefore, 3 all the way for me.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:36:04 pm »

I think a 3 is fair. It's not a bad story, but it really does lose it's way by the end. The first episode is excellent and the premise is great, it just doesn't hold up.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 12:28:11 pm »

This is getting a 4 from me. A generous 4, because a three is probably more fitting, but episode 1 was far better than the rest of the story.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:25:13 pm »

Just a 2 from me. The only thing that stopped it from getting a 1 was that episode one was pretty good and Vicki was given a bit of development. The rest of it was pretty dire.
Report Spam   Logged
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 08:03:14 pm »

I know it's not one of the more popular stories but I've always been quite fond of this. I remember watching it years ago when I was young and being fascinated by the jumping time tracks and being sort of out of sync with time. It's pretty easy to get your head around now, but I think I was about six when I first saw it and I spent hours with my brother trying to figure it all out. I thought it was genius. Now I'm older I see more faults in it that I didn't notice as a kid, but I still think it's a great story. I've given it a 4.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:39:30 pm »

A three from me. I wanted to give it more but as has been pointed out it really doesn't live up to it's first episode. It does have plenty of highlights though. The Doctor is brilliant and the overall premise is interesting.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 11:25:52 pm »

I think the big problem is that the first episode is so good that the others seem less so, but I don't think they are as bad as some make them out to be. I think the story as a whole is really good so I have given it a four.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 03:02:02 pm »

Two from me. There are a couple of parts that I like, mainly the Doctor messing around with the mind machine thingy and Vicki finally being more than a spare part, but this is another example of a great premise that never gets off the ground.
Report Spam   Logged
lastofthejagaroth
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Ace

The centuries that divide me shall be undone!

View Profile
Apple User Level 4 Signature
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 07:13:27 pm »

It has some good ideas and episode 1 is awesome but other than that it's a pretty dull runaround. It isn't as bad as people make it out to be but, yeah, it's pretty bad.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: "You're Mr Thick Thick Thickety Thickface from Thicktown, Thickania. And so's your dad."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: