The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:19:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Vicki

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vicki  (Read 321 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: February 19, 2012, 01:32:23 pm »

Vicki, later known as Cressida, met the First Doctor on the planet Dido and came to join the crew of the Doctor's TARDIS.

Vicki was born on Earth in 2479. Vicki's mother had died at an early age and Vicki's father took a job in a new colony on the planet Astra, leaving Earth in 2493 AD. The ship transporting the colonists, the UK-201 crashlanded on Dido. Most of the passengers lived, but one night Bennett, unknown to her, murdered all the survivors other than Vicki as well as all but two of native Didonians, where she was later found by The Doctor, Ian and Barbara. The Doctor, perhaps because he missed his recently-departed grand-daughter, asked Vicki to come with him and the others, thus making her the first companion that the Doctor was seen to willingly invite to travel in the TARDIS.

Once Vicki left Dido with the others, she was keen for adventure. Vicki was often bored with the travelling to their destinations, and the less adventurous moments of their lives. Whether teasing, or merely undiplomatic, Vicki had a knack of saying the wrong thing to Barbara, despite their having a close relationship. Vicki's youth and spirit of adventure enabled her to save the travellers from dangeron occasion and she also had considerable analytical and technical skills. Despite her bravado, Vicki was terrified of heights.

It would appear that most of Vicki's skills and knowledge were based in science, but she also had some historical knowledge. When the travellers materialised on Earth during the Trojan War, she displayed her knowledge of Greek heroes and the Trojan Horse. While in Troy, Vicki called herself Cressida and met Troilus, a young Trojan. They fell in love, and Vicki left the Doctor to be with him. Their tale would later be written as a poem by Geoffrey Chaucer and as a play by William Shakespeare.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:52:12 pm »

This is the story for me where Vicki really comes into her own. Standing strong and leading her own little revolution. It was something that I really don't think would have worked with Susan. She was too dependent on everyone around her to show her the way. Vicki could lean on the others as much as Susan but she also seemed a lot more headstrong and sure of herself. She was great in this story.
Report Spam   Logged
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:32:14 am »

I definately agree about Vicki coming into her own here, but I think she develops a lot more once Barbara and Ian leave. I think it was too easy to have them act as sort of surrogate parents, whereas with Steven she could do more because they were on more of an equal footing.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:24:53 pm »

I don't know why, but Vicki in this story always reminds me of Zoe. I don't know if it was the extra confidence or if it was because she seemed smarter, but this always feels like a Zoe story.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:52:19 pm »

I don't know why, but Vicki in this story always reminds me of Zoe. I don't know if it was the extra confidence or if it was because she seemed smarter, but this always feels like a Zoe story.

A few weeks ago some of the kids on the childrens ward were watching Alice in Wonderland and I was thinking then how much Alice reminded me of Vicki. I coudn't put my finger on exacty why, maybe it was the voice or something, but for the whole time I was in there and it was on, she kept putting me in mind of Vicki.

It was nice in this story to see the potential that the character had but from what I have seen this is about as far as they ever went with the character, and I think that's a shame.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:10:35 am »

I hadn't thought about it, but Vicki reprogramming the armoury computer is rather like Zoe sending Vaughn's computer into a spin in The Invasion.

I always liked Vicki, and I think this and The Romans are probably the stories that show her off best.  The way she bullies the boys into starting their revolution is priceless.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 04:34:42 pm »

For me, this was Vickis best outing. It's a shame they didn't develop her more beyond this because it showed great potential for the character.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:34:56 pm »

For me, this was Vickis best outing. It's a shame they didn't develop her more beyond this because it showed great potential for the character.
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:35:05 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:41:02 pm »

This really was her time to shine and Maureen O'Brian played it so well. You could tell she was really enjoying being more of a focus of the story. I agree with the others that it's a shame she never really got another chance.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 12:57:39 pm »

This really was her time to shine and Maureen O'Brian played it so well. You could tell she was really enjoying being more of a focus of the story. I agree with the others that it's a shame she never really got another chance.

I find that with a lot of the companions. They start off with lots of potential, have a story where they really shine and you get glimpses of how good they can be and then it fades out and they just become 'stock'. It's a shame, but it happened loads during the classic series. On the flipside of that though, I think the new series suffers sometimes from over-focusing on the companions. Amy, especially.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:27:20 pm »

I find that with a lot of the companions. They start off with lots of potential, have a story where they really shine and you get glimpses of how good they can be and then it fades out and they just become 'stock'. It's a shame, but it happened loads during the classic series. On the flipside of that though, I think the new series suffers sometimes from over-focusing on the companions. Amy, especially.

I think this is spot on!

Vicki wasn't really any worse off than most other companions in getting the short end of the stick, but it was nice to see her get to shine in this. She was definately one of the highlights of the story for me.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 06:27:03 pm »

I think the most extreme example is probably Turlough.  The idea for him in the Black Guardian trilogy was great, but once that was done, they never really seemed sure what to do with him.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 11:29:41 pm »

I think the most extreme example is probably Turlough.  The idea for him in the Black Guardian trilogy was great, but once that was done, they never really seemed sure what to do with him.

I think a lot of the male companions suffered for it. Harry is another example of a companion who they did nothing with. Though he didn't really have a peak story, either.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 03:05:49 pm »

Vicki really was a spare part up to this point. Her main role was to be the third companion and not much else so it was good they gave her something to get her teeth into. If nothing else, it at least showed what she was capable of.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: