The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 06:35:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Vengeance On Varos

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 2 (18.2%)
4/5 - Really Good - 4 (36.4%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 4 (36.4%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 1 (9.1%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Vengeance On Varos  (Read 97 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:52:03 pm »

This weeks story sees us return to the Sixth Doctor in his third outing in the season 22 story Vengeance On Varos.

Seeking the rare mineral Zeiton-7 to repair his TARDIS, the Doctor arrives on Varos, a world where political prisoners and their guards are both subjected to sadistic tortures and executions which the colony's inhabitants view and vote on through interactive television. Accused of being alien infiltrators helping the colony's rebel factions, the Doctor and Peri find themselves the latest unwilling subjects in this most extreme form of reality TV.

Vengeance on Varos was the second story of Season 22 of Doctor Who. It introduced the alien Sil.

The next story is to be posted on Sunday March 4th.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 05:43:24 pm »

Good to see another Sixth Doctor story come out. Seems like forever since the last one.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:08:01 pm »

I didn't really know anything about this story before I watched it yesterday. I didn't even realise I owned the DVD. God knws when I got it, but I'd certainly never watched it. I have to admit, I tend to go into a lot of the Sixth Doctor stories with low expectations. I usually enjoy the ones I watch, but there is such a negative vibe around his time on the show hat I never know quite what to expect. I think though that that leaves more room to be impressed, which I was with this story. It wasn't the best I had ever seen, but I did find it better than a lot of the stories I have seen that are more highly regarded. It had it's faults. Some of the acting was a bit wooden, but some of it was brilliant, so that balanced out. I thought the reality TV angle was really good, especially given how much air time is eaten up by it these days and it was good to have the two people who were voting and bickering all the time essentially taking the role of the viewer. What did surprise me was just how dark the story got. I don't think it suffered for it, but I wasn't expecting it. It was particularly grim in some parts and was bordering close to uncomfortable at times, but just managed to stay the right side of it for me. I'm giving it a 4.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:09:24 pm »

Edit: I was about to complain the poll wasn't working, but it was just my laptop acting up.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 03:50:15 pm »

I haven't watched this story in ages. I'll see if I can get it done tonight or tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 08:38:17 pm »

I'm giving this a 4. It gets a bit of a mixed reaction in fandom but I think it's a good story and Baker is at his best in it. As Roranicus said, it get's quite dark in places, but I think season 22 was probably the darkest that the show ever went and it certainly wasn't limited to this story. One of the more popular aspects, Sil, is probably what I like least. I was never much of a fan of the character. He used to freak me out as a kid though, so that is probably why.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:13:12 pm »

Just a three from me. It's not a bad story, but there are other Sixth Doctor stories that I like more. It had some cool concepts though.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:10:15 pm »

I loved Colin Baker's Doctor, right from the outset - I thought he really portrayed an alien being with alien morals and ideas superbly (whether or not it was intentional, this was a theme picked up by Christopher Ecclestone and part of the reason he was so successful). This story was a hugely far sighted attempt to satirise the excesses of television (and written in 1984 presaged some of the more dreadful freak shows that we get on our TVs now). I thought the casting was superb - Martin Jarvis, Stephen Yardley, Jason Connery and Nabil Shaban were all fabulous in support of Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant. I went with a 5, partly because my 12 year old self was genuinely scared by some of the genetic experimentation ideas and partly because I thought this was a great story!
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »

I've gone with a 3. This is an interesting story and touches on some good themes but it's never been one of my favourites.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 07:59:42 pm »

I've gone with a 4. I think 3.5 would have been fairer but I was nice and rounded up. I think in terms of a 'message' the story works well. It get's it's point across and is entertaining in doing so. A lot of the characters were written and acted well and it introduced a great new villain. It's not the most exciting story the show has ever done, but it's a strong one for the Sixth Doctor era.
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 06:24:20 pm »

I've sort of surprised myself and given this a 5. I was shocked by how much I enjoyed it. I have to be honest I didn't have very high hopes but I really enjoyed it. There were a few scenes when it seemed to slow down a bit but for the most part it worked really well. I was quite impressed.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 09:49:36 pm »

I gave it a 3.  I suspect it may really have deserved a 4, as it had some interesting ideas, but for reasons I can't quite define, it's never really engaged me.  Just a personal thing, I think.  I certainly don't dislike it.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:35:01 pm »

I've gone with a three as well. It wasn't a bad story but I wasn't that bothered with it. I've seen better, I've seen worse. There were a few bits I didn't really get, but I think that's probably down to how little of the Sixth Doctor stories I have seen. Some of the characters were pretty annoying and the writing was a bit dull but I did like the overall story and themes it tackled.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 07:00:35 pm »

This story gets a 4 from me. I think it's one of the better Sixth Doctor stories and for the most part shows him in a more positive way than many of the others do. There are a few problems with the pacing and some bits of dialogue could be better but I think the story is strong and often gets overlooked because of the stigma surrounding the Sixth Doctors era.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 02:52:33 pm »

I've given it a 2/5. It just didn't work for me. Parts of it were quite interesting but overall it just doesn't engage me as much as other stories from the era.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: