The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 10:43:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Martha Jones

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martha Jones  (Read 189 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:40:22 pm »

Dr. Martha Jones (later Martha Smith-Jones after marrying Mickey Smith) was a British freelance alien hunter who began her career as a medical student before becoming a companion to the Tenth Doctor and later a medical officer with UNIT. She was also attached briefly to Torchwood 3.

In 2008, Martha was working at the Royal Hope Hospital when it was transported to the Moon by the Judoon. Calm while those around her panicked, Martha worked with the Tenth Doctor, posing as a patient named John Smith, to track down the Plasmavore, "Florence Finnegan", the Judoon were searching for.

As the oxygen in the hospital ran out, Martha gave her last breaths to resuscitate the unconscious Doctor, who had thwarted Florence's plan. The Judoon returned the hospital to Earth. That evening, a recovered Martha was approached by the Doctor, who revealed that he was a Time Lord and invited her to join him on a trip through time and space in the TARDIS.

Martha was a friendly, intelligent, brave and good-spirited woman. When she was a prisoner of the Daleks, one of them confirmed that she possessed high intelligence. The Doctor was impressed with her theory about having air on the Moon, and he asked her to join him in the hospital balcony to see if they could breathe.  Although the Doctor asked more of her than any other companion (watching after him while he was human, walking the world for a year), she rose to every challenge.

Martha quickly developed a crush on the Doctor and always wondered if he even noticed her. Martha was envious of Joan Redfern when the Doctor made himself human and fell in love with her, and said he "had to go and fall in love with a human, and it wasn't me".

In The Year That Never Was, Martha admitted that she loved the Doctor, but after the Master's defeat, she decided that holding on to the hope that he would return her feelings was not good for her. She was later engaged to Tom, and for unexplained reasons married Mickey Smith instead.

Although she had cause to be jealous of Rose Tyler, Martha seemed genuinely happy for the Doctor when he and Rose were reunited. She got along very well with Donna Noble. Martha also had a good relationship with Captain Jack Harkness and did not mind when he flirted with her.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 11:11:28 pm »

After treating the character so poorly, this story finally did good by Martha. She had lots of chances to shine throughout her run and was great in many stories, but with the whole unrequited love angle and the Doctor seemingly barely wanting her around, it was a nice touch to give her the strength to choose to leave for something and someone better.
Report Spam   Logged
Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:28:26 am »

I generally like the companions that choose to leave on their own. To me, it shows a strength of will to something I know I could never do- leave the Doctor. Martha is no exception.

I liked her throughout the series, although I dislike how she has to prove herself to the Doctor at the beginning. She's a very strong companion. I wish they could have left the romantic stuff with the Doctor out, though. It ruined the episodes with her a bit.
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 04:04:02 pm »

Agreed she was a strong companion- and maybe less "clingy" than some of them, but I have to say I was glad to see her go. Right from the start she irritated me, but it was nice to see her little adventure around the world to spread the word, but like BG I didn't like the kind of romance side she appeared to try and have with the doctor, but all in all an irritating character through the series and especially in these episodes!
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:32:52 pm »

Martha was treated abysmally throughout her run, which I think is part of the reason she was given extra episodes in S4 and those 3 eps of Torchwood to make up for it. I always thought the character was great but she wasn't always written well or fairly. A lot of the time it seemed like she was written as 'not Rose' by the writing team. The reasoning behind her leaving the TARDIS though was good and I think finally went a way to making up for earlier treatment.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 11:45:40 pm »

Martha Jones is awesome. I don't have much else to say beyond that. Great character, excellent in this.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 01:52:51 pm »

I like Martha. She was a decent companion and was lucky enough to appear in some fantastic stories. She was acted well and when the writing was on her side she was a great character but I didn't feel a huge loss when she left. I was however pleased when she returned. I didn't know about it so it was a nice surprise.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 07:49:16 pm »

I like Martha. She was a decent companion and was lucky enough to appear in some fantastic stories. She was acted well and when the writing was on her side she was a great character but I didn't feel a huge loss when she left. I was however pleased when she returned.

I think this sums up my feelings exactly.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »

I think Martha is a great character and I pretty much instantly liked her over Rose (who I think overstayed her welcome). She was great in this story but hadn't always been written so well in her earlier stories. As Saber said, it seemed that she was just treated as 'not Rose', which wasn't fair to the character.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 03:37:43 pm »

I think Martha was an excellent companion and deserves a lot more credit than she gets. My thoughts on why she had a hard time during her run was that the bulk of people watching hadn't watched the classic series and so wasn't used to the high companion turnover and as a result became overly attatched to Rose and didn't like the new girl stepping into her place. I could be totally wrong, but that's what I've always assumed.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 02:28:24 pm »

I think Martha is great. She was excellent in this story and did pretty much all the hard work. As for the reaction to her, I think Twisted Sister has it spot on in the post above.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 10:19:16 pm »

I always liked Martha.  I wasn't keen on either the whole unrequited love theme, or on her family's involvement, which seemed a lot more token than with Rose, but I thought she was a great character and well acted.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 10:22:04 pm »

My biggest criticism of Martha, if you can call it that really, is her absolutely dreadful family. None of them were the least bit likable.

The fact that she loved the Doctor was annoying but it was a lot more subtle than what happened with Rose and a lot less annoying because the Doctor didn't love her back. I always hated that about Rose's story.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 12:15:30 am »

The fact that she loved the Doctor was annoying but it was a lot more subtle than what happened with Rose and a lot less annoying because the Doctor didn't love her back. I always hated that about Rose's story.

I think my problem wasn't so much the love thing in isolation, but because it came after two years of Rose being in love with the Doctor.  They needed something different at that stage.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: