The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:55:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Missing Episode Discussion

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing Episode Discussion  (Read 5880 times)
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:07:53 pm »

I did a search and realised we don't have a thread for missing episodes. There is one to discuss the two found last year but nothing else for general discussion. Not that I could see, anyway.

Anyway, the reason I'm starting this is because a rumour is doing the rounds today that several lost episodes have been found but a reveal is being held off, possibly for the anniversary or something, I don't know, but the rumour seems to have picked up steam across the net today. One quote I keep seeing over and over is...

"The figure 106 will be significantly lower this time next year"

...which has been credited to DWSpoilers, but I looked there and couldn't see it, so I have no idea where it came from. It could be real, it's probably not, but I thought it was worth mentioning all the same.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:28:24 pm »

That's potentially very interesting and exciting. I have lots of thoughts on it, I'll start with the negative.

1. It's unsourced, which makes it more dubious as it could have been made up by any random fan, though that can be said of any source that isn't official.
2. It doesn't specifically say missing episodes (though obviously I can see why the thought was come to because of the number)

On the other hand though, who cares about the negatives? This is far too exciting to overlook. It may very well be nonsense but it's exciting to think we might soon have a 'significantly lower' number of missing episodes. Those are the two words that are most exciting.

The guy who found the last two episodes in his collection only found them by accident and didn't even know they were missing from the archives. In one of his interviews he said he had over a thousand tape reels and didn't know what was in a lot of them. Who's to say he doesn't have another 2. Or 5. Or 50? Even one would be brilliant, but if he's had a proper sort through and turned up a shedload then I can understand why they would hold off for a big announcement or something. I'm off on a proper tangent now, but if he hypothetically did have more hanging around then perhaps the two that we now know about were the only solo/orphan episodes he had and the others make up partially or complete stories. You never know, this time next year we may be watching an entire Daleks Master Plan or Tenth Planet or something. Perhaps that Ice Warriors release that's scheduled isn't being animated after all?

I'm aware this may not even have anything to do with missing serials, or could be false even if it is, but I can't help getting really excited at the thought.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:29:26 pm »

I've pinned this to the top of the section because it's an important thread topic even if the first post turns out to be incorrect.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 10:30:24 pm »

It would be so awesome if it turned out that someone had a whole stash of them for all this time. There are so many missing stories I want to see. I hope if it's true that Marco Polo is in there.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:32:59 pm »

Probably top of my "shopping list" would be Marco Polo, The Daleks Master Plan, Evil of the Daleks, and the two Yeti stories.  But I'd be over the moon about any newly complete story.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:18:40 pm »

If this turns out to be true it could be very exciting. It would be great to have a handful of lost episodes returned. I wouldn't care which ones they are to be honest, but it would be great if they completed some stories.
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 01:02:17 pm »

This would be awesome if true. I can't see them holding out another 18 months until the anniversay to reveal it though. It's bound to leak by then. It sort of already has I guess.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 06:39:31 pm »

This isn't about missing episodes as such, though it sort of is I guess, but I have read today that the restoration team are working on the material that was cut out of Planet of Giants but was kept in the archives, and are going to restore it to the four episode format that it was originally filmed and intended as. I'm assuming it will feature as a bonus on the DVD rather than the main story though, so we will still see the cut and edited eps 3&4 as just one episode, but will also have the opportunity to see them as two full episodes, too.

This to me is very cool news.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »

I didn't even know it was supposed to be longer. Is there a particular reason why they cut it?
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 06:21:18 pm »

No, I didn't know that either. Thats really cool. I can't believe though that with all the episodes that are missing they kept loads of cut scenes! Silly BBC
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 02:26:26 pm »

No, I didn't know that either. Thats really cool. I can't believe though that with all the episodes that are missing they kept loads of cut scenes! Silly BBC

Parts of it will be animated apparantly.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 02:27:17 pm »

Which actually begs the questions of if they are willing to animate episodes for a bonus feature why aren't they animating more stories that are missing as a regular feature?
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 10:15:28 pm »

It's not a missing episode, but a behind the scenes documentary about making The Daleks Invasion of Earth: 2150 has been discovered after being lost for 40 something years and can now be seen online HERE
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 07:07:30 pm »

It's not a missing episode, but a behind the scenes documentary about making The Daleks Invasion of Earth: 2150 has been discovered after being lost for 40 something years and can now be seen online HERE

Doc, you groovy hip cat, I'm digging the sixties vibe man! That's a real happening scene etc etc

Austin Powers-Speak aside, that is actually a fascinating insight into the artistic backdrop against which the Daleks and the wider show operated. Easy to see now why the show is so much part of our cultural DNA
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 07:22:16 pm »

There are more and more whispers of a big announcement being held off until the anniversary in regards to some missing episodes. I don't want to be ungrateful, and anything is better than nothing, but if there is genuinly a big announcement I hope it's for a completed story rather than random episodes. Imagine getting a whole story back for the anniversary!!
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 12:53:52 am »

There are more and more whispers of a big announcement being held off until the anniversary in regards to some missing episodes. I don't want to be ungrateful, and anything is better than nothing, but if there is genuinly a big announcement I hope it's for a completed story rather than random episodes. Imagine getting a whole story back for the anniversary!!

I'm going to be an optimist and hope for The Daleks Master Plan  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 12:06:30 pm »

It wouldn't even have to be a full story. They could just have enough episodes to make up a full story, like ep 4 of The Tenth Planet. Though I don't think they could hold on to that sort of news for long and it probably too much to hope for.
Report Spam   Logged

The Cyber Mistress
Earthling

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 02:00:46 pm »

It wouldn't even have to be a full story. They could just have enough episodes to make up a full story, like ep 4 of The Tenth Planet. Though I don't think they could hold on to that sort of news for long and it probably too much to hope for.

That's the one that I heard they had. Probably nothing more than a fan started rumour, but it would be awesome if they did.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 05:14:02 pm »

That's the one that I heard they had. Probably nothing more than a fan started rumour, but it would be awesome if they did.

That would fantastic - doubly so because it's such an important episode for the history of the show.
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 12:47:43 pm »

This could all be nonsense, but the whispers of a 'big' stash of missing episodes being found seems to be getting louder. I'd normally dismiss it, but several people have reported that Anneke Wills was overheard discussing it in earshot of fans at a recent convention and someone had to rush over and tell her to shut up. A few independent people from the event have mentioned overhearing it, though it could have come from one place and others are trying to jump on and act in the know.

Two of the more prominent rumourse are:

a) the guy who handed in the two episodes last year had way more than was announced, but only those two were announced because they are the only orphaned ones and all the others are complete or make up complete stories.

b) the episodes are a random mix but over 20 were found abroad, some making up complete stories.

There is an option C however, and that is that this is a load of tripe.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: