The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 06:01:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Master

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Master  (Read 125 times)
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« on: March 05, 2012, 07:55:44 pm »

YANA was a great character. Derek Jacobi played him so well. When he realised he was the Master the way his portrayal changed was excellent. He played the Master with such menace and bitterness and cunning, totally opposite to YANA and I think it worked so well. It updated the character but kept him the same old familiar Master. Then when Simm took over he got a bit too manic and crazy. He didn't have the suave sophistication that other incarnations had and He came off more of a psychopath than a menacing genius, which is I think the better way to play it. I didn't hate Simms portrayal but I think it is one of my least favourites. I'm not sure if it was the writing or the acting but it just didn't really work for me. I liked the writing even less in TEOT, but in that story I think he was portrayed a lot better.
Report Spam   Logged
Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:01:19 pm »

I agree, for the most part. The only part I disagree with is that I liked Simms- I think he showed a new side to the Master. However, if I had the ability to choose, I would have chosen Jacobi to play the Master all the way through. While Simms gave off an excelent portrayal of a mad man with an agenda, Jacobi's Master was just... Evil. When he said "Now I can say I was provoked" to Chantho, chills raced up my spine.
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:50:56 pm »

Yea, of the two I preferred Derek Jacobi. None have ever come close to Delgado though. He's my Master.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:20:51 am »

I really hated Simms' portrayal, which is a shame because I've heard so much about The Master in the Classic series, but I can't imagine liking him because Simms was so detestable (less so in this compared to TEoT though)
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:43:51 am »

I really hated Simms' portrayal, which is a shame because I've heard so much about The Master in the Classic series, but I can't imagine liking him because Simms was so detestable (less so in this compared to TEoT though)

Don't let it put you off. The Master in the classic series is far better than we've had so far in NuWho.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:45:07 pm »

I never really got the fuss with the Master. I enjoy a lot of his stories but I do think he is overly regarded in the show. I'd be more than happy to not have another return but at the same time I wouldn't be against it, either.

I think Simm did well in his portrayal with what was written, but I don't think he was written particularly well for Simm. Jacobi on the other hand was excellent. He was both written and played brilliantly in that incarnation.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:52:52 pm »

I didn't mind Simm in the role. He played it well and gave a different interpretation like most of the others have and like all the different Doctors do. It might not be to everyones tastes but I wouldn't call it bad.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 06:04:34 pm »

I think Simm was fine in the role but I think the Master could have been written a lot better. At times he was great but for the most part he was uneven and a bit too crazed.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 09:06:21 pm »

I never really got the fuss with the Master. I enjoy a lot of his stories but I do think he is overly regarded in the show. I'd be more than happy to not have another return but at the same time I wouldn't be against it, either.

Same here...

I do prefer Jacobi's portrayal to Simm's... Simm in a way does seem more modern and maybe more child friendly in comparison to the older Masters- I always found it hard to get on with the Master in the classic's I've watched- maybe that's because I haven't seen enough of them to understand but I just get lost when I watch the classics with the Master. However I understand Simm's master perfectly well, and Jacobi's! I always saw Jacboi as a better master, as it was like an older master who had gotten older (with the show) and kind of showing the newer audience who the master is. (If I made sense there!)
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 09:15:46 pm »

Made perfect sense Smiley

I feel the same way about the cybermen. I know some people love them, but it always seemed to me like the only reason the Doctor didn't defeat them right away was due to Murphy's Law.

However, the Master has always had an appeal for me. He just seems like more of an inside threat- He's a Time Lord genius, who (used to) own a TARDIS, and can keep up with the Doctor in every way. I like the idea of having an enemy who really, really threatens the Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 03:49:50 pm »

Just looking at Simm, I think the Master started out well in this story. He was mad and dangerous and intent on having things his way, just like the Master of old. It started to go a bit wrong though towards the end and while he was still mad and dangerous he started to become a bit of a comical caricature of a panto villian and it all got a bit silly. Thankfully they calmed him down again for his dying scene which I thought was pretty good.

Jacobi on the other hand gave me chills. He played it beautifully. Menacing and creepy, angry and psychotic, but still with an odd sort of charm. They should have kept him in the role throughout because he totally walked it.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:06:12 pm »

I think the Master is great but I didn't enjoy him in this story at all. It was a combination of factors, really, but it just didn't work for me.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 02:27:00 pm »

I think he was just modernised. Yes, he was very different from those who came before him, but that doesn't make him bad. He was updated and fitted in with the type of villains we see on these kinds of shows today. He wasn't perfect and Simms certainly isn't my favourite incarnation (Delgado) but I wouldn't call this one bad. Just different.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 10:24:59 pm »

I enjoyed both of them, though Jacobi more.  I think Simm was really strong in TSOD, less so in LOTTL, and even less in TEOT.  I agree, though, that Delgado was the ultimate Master.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 10:30:57 pm »

I think my view of the Master in this story is hindered but how much I really disliked him in TEOT. There were times in this story where he was funny but he never gave me a feeling of dread of feat like in the classic series. As TS said he seemed a bit panto.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: