The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 04:48:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Susan Foreman

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Foreman  (Read 212 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: March 11, 2012, 03:49:23 pm »

Susan Foreman was the Doctor's granddaughter. After landing on Earth for repairs to the TARDIS, Susan enrolled at Coal Hill School in Shoreditch where her advanced knowledge of history and science attract the attention of schoolteachers Barbara and Ian. Attempting to solve the mystery of the "unearthly child," Ian and Barbara follow Susan back to the junkyard, where they hear her voice coming from what appears to be a police box. When they investigate further, they discover that the police box exterior hides the much larger interior of the TARDIS, and are whisked away on an adventure in time and space with the Doctor and Susan, against their will.

Susan continued to travel with the Doctor and her two teachers until the 1964 serial, The Dalek Invasion of Earth. During the events of that story, Susan falls in love with David Campbell, a young freedom fighter in the 22nd century. However, Susan feels that she has to stay with and take care of her grandfather. The Doctor, realizing that Susan is now a grown woman and deserves a future away from him, locks her out of the TARDIS and leaves after a tearful farewell.

Susan displayed less knowledge about the workings of the TARDIS than her grandfather and was even naive to dangers that existed on the planets they visited. Also while she showed knowledge beyond earth science she did not display the advanced knowledge that was seen in other people of Gallifrey. Although it has never been explicitly established whether she can regenerate (though it is usually assumed that she can), she does display telepathic ability on occasion.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:41:46 pm »

In this episode you could really believe that Susan was 'alien' but after this story there were only a few times when they got that feeling back. For the most part she just seemed like any other girl, which I think is a shame.
Report Spam   Logged
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:11:44 pm »

This is one of the rare occassions where Susan doesn't annoy me. I think in the first story she started off great but she became boring anf screechy the longer she stayed in the show and there didn't seem to be any change coming for the character, so I think Carole Ann Ford probably did right thing to move on. She played it all well enough but she just wasn't given good stuff to work with.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:35:38 pm »

I really like Susan. As a character I think she had so much potential, but unfortunately most of it was unrealised. They've gone a ways to rectifying that in the audios but in the series she was very much overlooked in favour of everyone else.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 05:56:52 pm »

Aside from essentiall luring Ian and Barbara to the scrap yard I see very little point to Susans character. That isn't to say I don't like her, I just think she was wasted. There was so much they could have done with her. So much potential for the character. Unfortunately for most of the stories her being there made little to no difference at all.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:58:03 pm »

I thought Susan was great. I agree she could have been better and there was a lot of room for development, but just going by what we got i thought she was fine. Not the best companion but definately a good one.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 03:15:19 pm »

I thought Susan was great. I agree she could have been better and there was a lot of room for development, but just going by what we got i thought she was fine. Not the best companion but definately a good one.

This pretty much says what I was thinking. I can totally understand why CAF wanted out of the role. It must have been really frustrating coming in each week, screaming a few times, falling over, getting rescued then going home. Not exactly the meatiest of roles.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 10:40:22 pm »

I like Susan.  I think the main problem was that she was written very inconsistently, sometimes as a maturing young adult, sometimes as a clinging kid.  Overall, there was a progression in her character (seen especially in The Sensorites and The Dalek Invasion of Earth) but it wasn't a consistent one.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: