The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 02:33:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Robot

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 1 (9.1%)
4/5 - Really Good - 6 (54.5%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 3 (27.3%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 1 (9.1%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Robot  (Read 125 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: March 18, 2012, 03:37:25 pm »

For this weeks story we turn to Tom Bakers first full outing as the Doctor in 1974's Robot.

Mortally weakened by the Spider Queen on Metebelis 3, the Doctor is forced to regenerate. His recuperation is cut short as UNIT investigates a spate of robberies involving components for a top-secret disintegrator gun. The culprit is quickly identified as a highly sophisticated robot built by Professor Kettlewell, which is being ordered to act against its Prime Directive. Just how is the robot being used to carry out the sinister agenda of the Scientific Reform Society? And can the Doctor rescue Sarah from the robot's clutches and avert a nuclear war?

Robot was the first story of Season 12 of Doctor Who. Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor debuted in this story, which followed on directly from the end of Planet of the Spiders. It was also the first story to feature new companion Harry Sullivan, played by Ian Marter, the first story for which Robert Holmes was script editor and the final story produced by Barry Letts. It was the last story in which Nicholas Courtney had a regular role as the Brigadier (the character wouldn't appear again until the following season). Likewise, John Levene's newly promoted Warrant Officer Benton makes his final appearance as a regular character.

The next story will be posted on Sunday March 25th
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:04:58 pm »

If the purpose of Robot was to provide an introduction to Tom Baker then it succeeds. This is a great introduction to the fourth Doctor and shows what a sparkling talent he was when he took on the role. This was a story, however, very much rooted in the Pertwee era, perhaps unsurprising as rehearsals for Robot occurred at the same time that Planet of the Spiders was wrapping up. The Letts/D1cks production team were bowing out but the much vaunted Hinchcliffe/Holmes team were not yet in post. So what Robot doesn't do is to show the amazing and wonderful new direction that the show was about to embark upon.

The story is everything that Terrance D1cks feared an earthbound Doctor would be limited to; it is a "mad scientist/killer Robot" tale whereby the Robot was so advanced that it started to fancy Sarah Jane and ultimately went mad. I've given this a four. The plot itself was - as outlined - unremarkable. But this story is, primarily, about characters. The transition between Doctors is accomplished with aplomb and we have no difficulty in accepting the new Doctor despite the radical difference. We meet the wonderful Harry Sullivan - an impressive addition to the ensemble. Yet it is the Brig and Sarah Jane who help us through the transition most easily.

The baddies are - sadly - a little one dimesional and the plot is riddled with holes and leaps of faith. But it seems a little churlish to moan. They are there, after all, simply to be defeated. What we have here, therefore, is an iconic story if not a great one - 4/5
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 03:11:02 pm »

I've given this a four. I think it's a strong start for TB as the Doctor but as VA says it sort of keeps one foot in the Pertwee era and it's quite obvious about it. It has some really dodgy CGI but the story as a whole is a decent one and is really held together, I think, by Sarah Jane. There were stories that were a lot better but this did what it set out to and for the most part achieved that.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 04:22:37 pm »

I watched this with a hangover and so perhaps that clouded my judgement and I should try it again, but I wasn't keen so I have given it a two. There were several elements to it that I think worked well seperately but it had this feeling about it like they were too different and didn't slot together well enough. A bit like trying to make a jigsaw by using different pieces from different jigsaws. I don't know, bad analogy there, maybe. It just didn't seem to sit well with me so I haven't rated it higher but I will definately give it another watch at some point.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 07:00:15 pm »

I've gone with a three. The main faults were the bad CGI and some ill conceived bits of plot but for the main part I thought the story was enjoyable.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 04:21:47 pm »

I like it. It doesn't stand up as one of the best Tom Baker stories for me but it's decent enough and keeps me entertained when I watch it. I've given it a four.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 12:30:12 am »

I hovered between three and four, but I went up rather than down.  It had its moments, and it was a good introduction to both the Fourth Doctor and Harry.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 12:47:22 pm »

This isn't a great story but it is by no means awful. I wasn't massively keen on the Doctor in it and I think a lot of the CGI could have been better. We've had better before this so it was obviously possible. I've given it a 3
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:18:05 pm »

I'm giving it a four. It did what every 'first story' sets out to do. It brings in the new Doctor in an easy to watch story. There isn't much more that it needed to do other than be good, and I think it was.
Report Spam   Logged
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 03:09:17 pm »

While I do quite like this story I think there are enough holes in it to stop it from getting full marks. I think PP was right in saying that it seems a lot like a Pertwee story. I'm giving it 4/5
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 12:56:33 am »

I'm giving it a three. It isn't one of my favourites but there is a long list of stories that I like a whole lot less
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: