The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:33:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
4/5 - Really Good - 5 (33.3%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 7 (46.7%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 2 (13.3%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel  (Read 634 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:47:11 am »

Ok, so this is where I am up to right now. I sat down last night to tuck into this two parter in one go and I have to say, despite saying yesterday how much I was looking forward to it, I think it might just be my least favourite story of S2 so far.

Now dont get me wrong, I loved so many aspects of it. The alternate reality timeline, Mrs Moore and the geordie guy were all brilliantly played and written. Jackie was on form once again too and the comedy moments between Rose and The Doctor were brilliant. I also quite liked the overall premise.

The downsides though are that much of the story didnt seem to make sense. For me at least. For one, I thought the Cybermen were from outer space, though here they are created in a factory. I asked a friend about this and he said there was a bit of an uproar surrounding it, but didnt go into it further because he said it would spoil something later on. The guy in the wheelchair irritated me no end and Pete came off really badly which is a shame because I really liked him in Father's Day.

I have a feeling that perhaps I should have seen some of the classic series before watching this one.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 11:21:02 am »

Ah-ha! Welcome to the magic of Season 2. Without wishing to speak for others, this is exactly why season 2 (DTs first season) causes so many problems. ROTC/AOS perfectly illustrates why season 2 is my least favourite. This has all the ingredients to be a classic story; re-boot of Cybermen, parallel universe, a very competent writer and 'Trigger' off 'Only Fools'. It should have been awesome but it just wasn't at all. It wasn't bad, I don't hate it but it just didn't do it for me. If you are going to watch a classic cyberman story may I recommend Earthshock (Peter Davison as the Doctor) as utterly brilliant and it provides an illustration of just how different Classic Cybermen were from their Nu-Who counterparts.

You wait till you get to Fear Her...
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:30:35 am »

He is like a drugs pusher, this one. Wants people to get high on the Maths 'whiz'. He only loves Earthshock because Adric is in it Tongue In fairness though, it is a goodun.

I didnt hate this story, but the whole Mondas/Cybus stuff really grates. I saw what you wrote yesterday about being excited for scary cybermen after watching TPO, but what was done with the cyber in those 5 minutes is far superior to this entire story imo. These ones are scary. I like Chris, hold S2 as my least favourite and wish you well for your journey through the latter half of this series, Love & Monsters and Fear Her particularly
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 06:46:27 pm »

I will no doubt give the classics a look at some point, though it might be a way off. And dont worry ChrisNewman, I dont mind you being a pusher Tongue

I think maybe I will be able to make a better judgement on this one once I have seen the finale as I know the Cybermen are in that. Maybe then someone can explain why people dont like these cybermen.

Also whats a modas/cybus?
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 11:18:29 pm »

Mondas was the name of the planet where (in the classic series) the Cybermen came from. It was the twin planet of the Earth orbiting the sun directly opposite so the sun was always blocking it out (which is why we never saw it). Anyhoo, it drifted out of earth orbit but was fitted with propulsion by the Cybermen who flew it back to Earth intending to conquer. This was in the episode called 'The Tenth Planet' which has a special place in classic who fans hearts for two reasons. Firstly, it was the very first regeneration from William Hartnell into Pat Troughton. Secondly it has disappeared from the BBC Vaults and is a magical missing episode.  All of this established canon seems to have been thrown out of the window by old Rusty who instead made Cybermen on the parallel earth by Trigger off Only Fools. His company was called Cybus industries. On reflection it is actually not a radically different premise, but I am unsettled by change and have just eaten a whole packet of Munchies so have something of a sugar rush going on Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 11:22:45 pm »

We really need to set up some sort of support group on the forum for you Chris. If the thought of the Mondas/Cybus uproar sends you onto the Munchies, god only knows what rewatching Earthshock does to you Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 11:26:17 pm »

I imagine it's something similar to his Indian set meal for 4 from the other evening Grin we are here for you Chris. Just let us know next time you watch Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 11:27:20 pm »

Grin I told everyone about that post. Kept laughing for days every time I thought about it
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 11:57:09 pm »

We really need to set up some sort of support group on the forum for you Chris. If the thought of the Mondas/Cybus uproar sends you onto the Munchies, god only knows what rewatching Earthshock does to you Tongue

Earthshock requires careful planning and stocking up on treats. I don't need help - just home delivery lol Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 07:16:19 pm »

Ah, it all makes more sense now. So people didnt like that the showrunner guy kinda rewrote their history. I can see why it would annoy people.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 05:40:32 pm »

I have added a poll to this thread so please take a minute to rate it, and you can add your opinions below too if you like Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 09:21:46 pm »

I loved the Cybermen as a kid - the silly voice changers, goofy helmets & everything.
My favourites were the Earthshock/Five Doctors brand.

But then they brought them back...sort of. We had uniform marching, stupid faker than hell stomping, that BL00DY catchphrase and the truly dreadful chew-chew sound effects for all of the cyber slicey dicey equipment.
Truly awful.
The only thing saving this from rock bottom is that Mickey gets to be moderately cool.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 01:14:01 pm »

3 for this one. Cybermen are always awesome, even when they are naff. Mrs Moore was brilliant! Mickey was at his least annoying. Its just a shame he was also really annoying at the same time. Two of them is just too much. The story itself was a bit all over the place and the Cybus stuff nearly sent fandom into meltdown, which although is kind of funny to see, is also sort of bad because everyone still wants Mondas Cybers back
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 04:00:25 pm »

I gave this one a four. I'd never seen Cybermen before this so I wasn't expecting anything different than what we got. I wasn't so keen the first time I watched it, but after seeing it a couple of times now I like it a lot more. It also makes more sense now that I am more clued up on the history of the show. Still hate the guy in the wheelchair though
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 09:08:30 pm »

Another three from me.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 02:21:26 pm »

I think I am one of the few that don't mind the 'cybus' Cybermen. They aren't perfect but I just see them as a sort of reboot like the Silurians or Daleks have had.

This story isn't perfect but it does have some good points to it, so for that I gave it a 3
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 02:36:00 pm »

I think I am one of the few that don't mind the 'cybus' Cybermen. They aren't perfect but I just see them as a sort of reboot like the Silurians or Daleks have had.

I don't mind them either - but then I didn't know much about the original ones when I watched this. I knew they were a big deal from the original series though as I'd heard of them even though I'd never watched it. Having come face to face with the various Cybermen at the DW Experience I can honestly say I just see them as an evolution of what came before. And coming from a background as a Star Trek fan I am used to aliens changing dramatically - Klingons anyone?!

I do get why some people might not be so keen though.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 02:42:38 pm »

Well don't get me wrong, I prefer the Cybers from the classic series, but as you say this is sort of just the evolution. We have seen the Cybers reappear lately without the C logo on their chests and with classic Cyber ships so I guess these are here to stay as Mondas Cybers, and I don't see any point moaning because they don't look how I would prefer them to look.
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 02:47:25 pm »

Well don't get me wrong, I prefer the Cybers from the classic series.

Maybe I will too as I see more. I think we all sort of pick a favourite 'type' with things like this. I like all Daleks, but my favourite look on them is the Ironside look - just comes down to personal preference at the end of the day  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 09:30:07 pm »

I have to say I am in the group of people who don't particularly like the new design. I love the Cybermen so it doesn't bother me too much, but I prefer the older designs. I gave this a three
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: