The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 16, 2024, 03:33:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Eleventh Doctor Audio - Day of the C0ckroach

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eleventh Doctor Audio - Day of the C0ckroach  (Read 285 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: March 31, 2012, 02:53:36 pm »

An exciting audio exclusive adventure for the 11th Doctor and his companions Amy and Rory.

The TARDIS arrives in an nuclear war bunker in England, 1982. A band of refugees have taken cover from the horrors above ground – but they are all menaced by the only creatures who could survive a nuclear holocaust…

The auudio is due for release on 3rd May and is read by Arthur Darvill
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 02:05:57 am »

Roaches make me want to vom. I can take most things but they freak me out. I can't imagine I will be listening to this.
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:32:34 pm »

The TARDIS materialises in a pitch-dark tunnel, where the Doctor, Amy and Rory stumble on the dead body of a soldier. Questioned by his superior officer, Colonel Bowe, they learn that they're inside a British nuclear bunker, in the middle of an atomic war - in 1982. Amy and Rory weren't even born then, but they know the bomb didn't drop that year, and so does the Doctor. The friends also know they had nothing to do with the death of Sergeant Trott - so who, or what, was the killer? And why does the Doctor's psychic paper not work on the Colonel? The Doctor, Amy and Rory soon learn that something else is lurking in the shadows. Something deadly...

I have to admit that the 11th Doctor audio releases have been quite mixed recently, but this one more than lives up to some of the better ones.

I think the writers have something for giant insects at the moment! First giant Spiders (Darkstar Academy), and now giant c0ckroaches.

This audio is read by Arthur Darvill, who has a lovely voice to listen to. Of course his impersonation of Rory is brilliant, but also his voicing of the other characters is really good. His impression of Matt Smith’s Doctor is amazing, as well as his attempt’s at Amy’s Scottish accent. The story has a quick pace and Darvill is full of enthusiasm, which adds to the listening experience of this particular audio. One thing I am always weary of when listening to these audios read by the main cast is how easy is it to (with this as an example) distinguish between Darvill’s narration and Rory speaking, but Darvill does this really well and you don’t get confused at all.

In general the story is really good. The beginning is almost perfect, and it is one of the strongest Who audios which I’ve listened to in a long time.

If you close your eyes at certain points and get really in to it, some of the story is really detailed and actually really quite creepy. Freaked me out at times, but you can just imagine what it’s like to be trapped in a bunker in the dark… With giant c0ckroaches.

All in all a really good audio which I would highly recommend to anyone. Definitely worth the price, and well worth a listen!
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 09:54:59 pm »

Oooh, interesting review - I always thought Arthur would do a good job on the audio books. I like the previous work of the author, Steve Lyons, so I will give this a go.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 12:23:24 am »

Great review, but roaches give me the heebie jeebies. I think I will skip it for the time being.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: