The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 10:04:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Donna Noble

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Donna Noble  (Read 119 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:17:31 pm »

Donna Noble was a companion of the Tenth Doctor. Despite her ordinary origins, she was noted by Rose Tyler and the Tenth Doctor as being the most important woman in all of creation. Donna saved the whole of reality from the Daleks and Davros, though to survive the stress caused by her transformation into the "DoctorDonna", her memories of her time with the Doctor were forcibly erased and she was returned to Earth. She later married Shaun Temple.

Donna's first encounter with the Doctor was bewildering for both: the Doctor was shocked into speechlessness by her sudden appearance in his TARDIS; Donna was furious with the Doctor for "kidnapping" her. Though Donna's sharp tongue and hair-trigger temper kept the Doctor at arm's length for most of their first adventure, quieter moments showed a more level-headed and perceptive woman. Although she sometimes appeared unintelligent, and persistently referred to the fact that she was 'only a temp', she was actually quite smart: she mastered the Dewey Decimal System in two days working at a library. When she joined the Doctor in his journeys, her quick, and sometimes dry, wit often came out, coinciding with his own.

Though most companions were, to some degree, the Doctor's conscience, Donna adopted this role more openly and forcefully than her predecessors. She pleaded with the Doctor to save the inhabitants of Pompeii - if not all of them, then a single family. Donna insisted that the Doctor acknowledge Jenny as his daughter, no matter how she was created or what job she was trained for. Donna's fiery temper hid a deep well of compassion, as she showed when she reached out to Agatha Christie, trying to share her own story of failed marriage.

When the Doctor's companion Martha Jones recalled the Doctor to Earth, she and Donna became fast friends; neither was jealous and both were willing to share experiences. The Doctor found this disconcerting. Her relationship with Rose Tyler was initially abrasive in the alternate timeline but friendly in the real universe. She also enjoyed an attraction to Captain Jack Harkness, which at one point involved her pushing Sarah Jane Smith out of the way to get a hug from him.

Unlike Rose and Martha, Donna was intent on maintaining a platonic relationship with the Doctor, reacting with disgust when she misinterpreted his comment "I just want a mate" (friend) as "I want to mate" (breed). She kissed him, but only to shock him. She was very supportive of the Doctor, at one point forcing him to admit that despite the potential collapse of universes, Rose's return was a good thing. She also supported the Doctor when the time came to leave the Meta-Crisis Doctor and Rose behind on Pete's World. Just before her memories were wiped, she tearfully echoed Rose's earlier desire to travel with the Doctor "forever". The Doctor reciprocated Donna's feelings, referring to her as his best friend. The Meta-Crisis Doctor, working from his original template's memories, recognised Donna's brash attitude arose because she truly believed that she was unimportant; she was "Shouting at the universe, because she thinks no one is listening." The original Doctor attributed this to her mother never telling Donna she was important to her.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:13:13 am »

Donna, as always, was brilliant in this story. Catherine Tate managed every emotion well during her run but the more comedic stories are where she really shines and she was great in this.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:08:05 pm »

Donna, as always, was brilliant in this story. Catherine Tate managed every emotion well during her run but the more comedic stories are where she really shines and she was great in this.

My thoughts exactly Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:15:03 pm »

Donna was such a breath of fresh air to the show and this is one of my favourite stories featuring her (though I love literally every single episode of S4 so that doesn't say much). She put in a great performance and was a total master of the comedy elements.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 12:41:21 am »

Much like Barbara, I don't think I will ever have anything bad to say about Donna. She was excellent the entire time, I think.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »

Donna = Awesome!

What else can I say?
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:13:30 am »

Donna = Awesome!

What else can I say?

Very much this!
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 03:34:32 pm »

Nothing really to add - she was great.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 01:36:16 am »

Donna is fantastic. Always fantastic. Catherine Tate does comedy so well (duh) and this story really gives he a chance to shine. My favourite Donna moments though are the sad ones. It's so unexpected from her I think but CT does them so well. The scenes from the Pompeii story, Planet of the Ood, Journeys End etc. She nails it every time.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 04:21:15 pm »

Such a brilliant companion. The stories in S4 were all great, but I can't imagine them being half as enjoyable without Donna in them.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: