The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 06:36:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Jamie McCrimmon

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jamie McCrimmon  (Read 122 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:36:11 pm »

James Robert "Jamie" McCrimmon, son of Donald McCrimmon, a piper like his father and his father's father, was one of the longest serving companions to travel with the Doctor and the longest serving male companion to date.

Jamie first met the Doctor in the aftermath of the English defeat of the Jacobite Rebellion at the Battle of Culloden on 16 April 1746, during which he was the piper for Clan McLaren. Jamie and his fellow Highlanders faced either being hung, butchered by the Duke of Cumberland or sold into an unsurvivable seven-year slavery on the plantations in the West Indies. After escaping the gallows, an unsure Jamie was urged to follow the Second Doctor, Ben Jackson and Polly Wright into the mysterious TARDIS.

More often than not, Jamie wore a kilt with a red tartan. He was often chided for continuing to wear his kilt, even in situations where it was too cold to wear it. It was sometimes jokingly referred to as a dress or skirt, to which he would take offense.

Jamie was simple and straightforward, but he was also intelligent, practical and full of common sense. It was these qualities which often put him ahead of his companions. Although he didn't understand the TARDIS, he was enthusiastic about it. His journey was a voyage of discovery; and almost everything he experienced was new to him. He struggled to understand many things, yet he battled against this and thoroughly enjoyed his adventures.

Jamie saw the Doctor as a friend and mentor. He loved to travel and enjoyed his adventures. He learnt a lot through his experiences, but also believed the Doctor needed his help.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:53:00 pm »

Overlooking the fact that he was very obviously not 18, it was nice to have Jamie back in this and it was good they got his character right. After 20 years and with most of his episodes missing it would have been easy to make him someone different, but I think they worked it well
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:24:19 pm »

I think, as Saber says, the writing was fine for Jamie. I do however think that it took a while for Frazer Hines to find him again. I suppose after such a long time its understandable and he did get there in the end though.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:20:11 pm »

I thought Jamie was great in this. They weren't pulling it off passing him off as a teenager but he was written and acted well.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:59:06 pm »

I agree - his age stretched credulity a bit, but I didn't really care about that.  He was the same Jamie as always.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:56:30 pm »

I like Jamie. He isn't one of my favourite companions but he was always good to watch and this story showed that again. I think with stories like this the aging stuff is easy enough to overlook. Everyone knows I love my canon and continuity but for special occasions I can overlook it.
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 03:06:43 pm »

I don't think the age thing makes much difference. As Exterminate said, it's easy to overlook things like that with this type of story.

Jamie was ok here. I've never been his biggest fan so I don't think he did anything particularly extraordinary but he wasn't annoying or anything either.
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 03:09:01 pm »

Just to add to the above, I think I'd have preferred them bring back Victoria or Zoe or even Ben or Polly, but I suppose Jamie was the most well known of the bunch.
Report Spam   Logged
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 01:31:03 am »

Just to add to the above, I think I'd have preferred them bring back Victoria or Zoe or even Ben or Polly, but I suppose Jamie was the most well known of the bunch.

I think it worked well with Jamie as a male companion to play off against Peri, but if I could choose he wouldn't have been my first choice either.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: