The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 01:03:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Third Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Third Doctor  (Read 127 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:13:50 pm »

The Third Doctor was the third incarnation of the Time Lord known as the Doctor. He was exiled by the Time Lords on Earth for much of his life. The technological limits of the time period often made him frustrated and bitter.

This Doctor worked for the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce as their unpaid scientific advisor. He remained in their service long after his exile was ended. Unlike his earlier incarnations, he was eager to engage others physically. He also cut a more dashing figure.

In his first year, he was assisted by Liz Shaw, whom he displaced as UNIT's scientific advisor. A capable scientist in her own right, she left to pursue her own work. She noted that all the Doctor needed in an assistant was someone to pass him his test tubes and tell him how brilliant he was.

In the field, the Doctor was aided by Sergeant Benton, Captain Mike Yates and even the Brigadier. The Doctor did not get along well with the Brig at first, but they developed an easy mutual trust and became good friends.

After Liz left, the Doctor was given a new assistant, Jo Grant. She was bubblier and had less scientific training. The Doctor found her a most useful companion in his adventures during and after his exile. Jo got in trouble easily and the Doctor became protective of her. She left UNIT to marry Clifford Jones.

In his final year with UNIT, the Doctor was joined by inquisitive newswoman Sarah Jane Smith. They travelled widely in time and space, even visiting Peladon again. He found her journalistic skills useful in their travels, but he often had to save her.

The Third Doctor regenerated after being exposed to large amounts of radiation during his efforts to stop the Eight Legs of Metebelis III.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:47:56 pm »

Three is one of my favourite Doctors but to be honest I wasn't massively keen on him in this. He had a tendency here (moreso than normal) to get very patronising and I'd even say unlikeable. Definitely not my favourite Pertwee outing.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 06:08:44 pm »

Three is one of my favourite Doctors but to be honest I wasn't massively keen on him in this. He had a tendency here (moreso than normal) to get very patronising and I'd even say unlikeable. Definitely not my favourite Pertwee outing.

I thought three was fine in this. No more patronising than normal. Nothing stand-out about his performance, but I didn't think it was worse than normal, or that he was written so.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 06:08:51 pm »

I thought three was fine in this. No more patronising than normal. Nothing stand-out about his performance, but I didn't think it was worse than normal, or that he was written so.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:25:10 pm »

I can't say I found him unlikeable, except when we're meant to believe he's abandoning everyone (and I don't think anyone really believes that, anyway).  I'd agree with Exterminate - not an outstanding outing for him, but perfectly OK.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:49:23 pm »

I don't think I've seen a Pertwee story where I haven't enjoyed him as the Doctor. I thought he was fine in this, as always. Not his best performance but nothing wrong with it.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 02:39:29 am »

I liked Three in this. He was perhaps a bit more serious than in other stories but still really watchable.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 07:30:20 pm »

Three was ok in this. A lot of the time I have to be in the right mood to watch him. With one performance I can find him grating, while the next could be amazing. I think his personality works better in some stories than in others.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 07:30:27 pm »

Three was ok in this. A lot of the time I have to be in the right mood to watch him. With one performance I can find him grating, while the next could be amazing. I think his personality works better in some stories than in others.
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 02:24:46 am »

I think his personality works better in some stories than in others.

I like Three a lot. He is one of the best Classic Doctors, but I think you are right, here. I think Three is probably the Doctor who is most consistent in his personality. There isn't a lot of change there and while I always enjoy the portrayal it doesn't always lend itself as well to some of the stories.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: