The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 02:50:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Vislor Turlough

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vislor Turlough  (Read 252 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: April 22, 2012, 06:15:41 pm »

Vislor Turlough — more commonly just "Turlough" — was a companion of the Fifth Doctor who principally traveled alongside Tegan Jovanka, but also had a few adventures with Nyssa and Kamelion. He also briefly met and saved the life of Peri Brown before departing the Doctor's company.

Turlough was a complex individual, whose motivations were often unclear to those around him. He was for a time — by his own choice — under the influence of the Black Guardian. During this period he was actively trying to kill the Doctor. Later, after overcoming the Black Guardian, he was mostly a trusted member of the TARDIS crew, but there remained instances where his actions were questioned. It was only at the end of his time on the TARDIS that the Doctor finally discovered the truth about how Turlough ended up on Earth, and why he was susceptible to the Black Guardian in the first place.

Turlough acted selfishly, always preventing himself from blame. He could lie convincingly to most though some, such as Tegan and the Brigadier, were not taken in by him.

Tegan did not like Turlough, finding him untrustworthy. She did not approve of the Doctor letting Turlough consider the Black Guardian's offer, believing that Turlough would choose the crystal. However, the Doctor was confident in Turlough's morals.

Despite this, he recognised the Doctor's good intentions; he tried to make the Black Guardian reconsider his order to kill the Time Lord. He understood the TARDIS systems well enough to be able to run a diagnostic in The Five Doctors and programmed the TARDIS to rescue the Doctor and Peri in Planet of Fire.

Turlough was the last male companion to travel with the Doctor on-screen until Adam Mitchell, who joined in Dalek in 2005
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:49:55 pm »

I think Turlough was a decent character but once his bad guy arc was done he sort of became a little pointless. He was ok in this story but didn't really bring anything to it.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:27:08 pm »

You know, I think the guy who plays Turlough is a really good actor. Every time I have seen him I have thought so. The problem I have is that there is absolutely no point to him being there. At all. And why is he still wearing the school uniform? When I was in school the first thing I would do was get changed as soon as I could. The fact he wears it for months on end is concerning.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 05:16:05 pm »

Yea I sort of agree with the above. He was acted well but he was there just for for the sake of it. It was good to see the turnaround in his character but it also took away the edge. They should have probably written him out a little earlier.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:26:26 pm »

I like Turlough. He wasn't the most active companion and he was often sidelined but I think he was a decent character and he was always played really well.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:59:42 pm »

I find him boring. He starts off really interesting and then quickly becomes a spare part. The most interesting thing he does in this is get captured, which essentially takes him out of the main stuff for a while because there really was nothing to do with him. It's a shame because as everyone else has said, he was always acted pretty well.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 07:01:53 pm »

I find him boring. He starts off really interesting and then quickly becomes a spare part. The most interesting thing he does in this is get captured, which essentially takes him out of the main stuff for a while because there really was nothing to do with him. It's a shame because as everyone else has said, he was always acted pretty well.

I think he commented once that they never knew what to do with him, so he ended up getting captured and knocked out a lot.  I agree basically with most of the above - he was a potentially great character played by a good actor, who was wasted once the Black Guardian trilogy was over.

I suspect the school uniform was an ongoing attempt to convince us that he was about ten years younger than he actually looked.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 02:59:49 pm »

Turlough was ok. Not one of my favourite companions but not one I dislike either. I think mostly he was just sort of unmemorable
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 03:00:27 pm »

I suspect the school uniform was an ongoing attempt to convince us that he was about ten years younger than he actually looked.

Also, this! Passing him off as a teen was just ridiculous. He looked at least 30
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 11:36:51 pm »

Decent enough actor but there was absolutely no reason to keep him around once his Black Guardian story was done with.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: