The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:05:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The War Games - The Second Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The War Games - The Second Doctor  (Read 363 times)
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« on: October 06, 2010, 11:21:17 pm »

Finished watching this one for the first time last night.

I actually hesitated between buying and watching it, imagining it could only be a disappointment. Ten episodes would just be too much, the story would drag and get boring and I'd just be waiting for it to finally finish.

Instead, it's easily one of the best Doctor Who stories I've ever seen. A great finale for Patrick Troughton, Frazer Hines and Wendy Padbury, all of whom put in as good a performance as I've ever seen from them. An excellent supporting cast too, with the longer length allowing them to really develop into memorable characters. Phillip Madoc as the War Lord and Noel Coleman as General Smythe in particular really stand out.
It even looks good - nothing particularly complicated or expensive, but everything just looked right. And it probably says a great deal about its quality that, in a story based around a planet filled with dozens of different armies all fighting their own different wars, I didn't even notice until Terrance Dicks pointed it out in the extras that there were never more than about a dozen soldiers on screen at any one time!

So, anyone else love this story? Or hate it? Or just think it was okay?
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:34:28 am »

Yes!! This is a cracking serial! I, like you, was hesitant at first, for length reasons more than anything else, but its so worth it. The ten episodes fly by and it never feels like it is dragging or getting boring. The main cast are also fantastic. One of the best Troughton classics still in existence.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:38:05 am »

As always with your posts, I find myself nodding furiously in agreement. I loved the War Games. A behemoth of a story like this could easily have been dull and ponderous but it was quite the reverse. I thought that the length worked for the story and allowed it to mature and develop. The casting was magical: I loved Philip Madoc and even old Harold Meeker really ripped it up as well. And more than anything, you got a real pay off at the end, what a great final episode! Totally loved it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 12:26:04 pm »

Oh, I couldnt agree with you all more. The War Games is a classic. An absolute belter. And the ending is brilliant. Those final moments with the Time Lords and seeing Jamie and Zoe going off are brilliant. The ten episodes really do fly by. I could watch this one over and over.

I love this section of the forum, chatting about the classic series Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 01:09:37 am »

This is one of my favourite Who stories of all time. Considering it was on air spanning nearly three months it never lets you feel like its taking its time or dragging it out. Its action packed and paced brilliantly the whole way through and the TARDIS team act their socks off throughout. I don't watch it as often as I would like though because once I start I have to watch it all and I don't always have time to get through ten episodes in one sitting. People who havent seen this one simply must
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 01:09:56 am »

An absolutely brilliant story.  I agree, it never drags at all for me.  Besides the regulars, I'd say Philip Madoc is the real stand-out performance - the contrast with the barking Naz! types, softly spoken, yet they're all terrified of him, and it's obvious why.
Report Spam   Logged

Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:42:56 am »

I'm impressed that they managed to keep the pace up nicely with ten episodes. It was still a real doozy of a story to watch in one sitting. But brilliant and always cherished in its nice storyline and introduction of some of the most important canon-writing of the show. I love the callback to this story with The Doctor's Wife (psychic cube).
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: