The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 01:56:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The Daleks

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 6 (54.5%)
4/5 - Really Good - 5 (45.5%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 0 (0%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 0 (0%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The Daleks  (Read 366 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:55:30 pm »

From last week where we watched the final story of the classic series, this week we go all the way back to the first season with The Daleks.

The TARDIS has brought the travellers to the planet Skaro where they meet two indigenous races - the Daleks, malicious mutant creatures encased in armoured travel machines, and the Thals, beautiful humanoids with pacifist principles. They convince the Thals of the need to fight for their own survival.

Joining forces with them and braving Skaro's many dangers, they launch a two-pronged attack on the Dalek city. The Daleks are all killed when, during the course of the fighting, their power supply is cut off.

The Daleks was the second story of season 1 of Doctor Who. Its most obvious contribution to the Doctor Who mythos was the introduction of the Daleks, the Thals and the planet Skaro. It also continued and deepened the antagonistic relationship between the First Doctor and his new human companions, Ian and Barbara, which would come to a head in the next story.

The Doctor's non-humanoid adversaries caught on immediately with the British public, as was obvious from the serial's ratings. A significant improvement over An Unearthly Child, The Daleks cemented Doctor Who's position on the 1964 BBC1 schedule.

The serial was writer Terry Nation's first for the programme. Its reception led to his recommissioning for The Keys of Marinus later in the season, as well as the return of the Daleks every season until season 5. It also was the proximate cause for Nation's financial success, since his agent had cunningly negotiated Nation's co-ownership of the Daleks.

The ramifications of this deal on the history of Doctor Who are difficult to overstate. Indeed, though agents are usually unknown and uncredited workers, this deal was known to have been negotiated by future British television legend and studio boss, Beryl Vertue — mother of Sue Vertue and mother-in-law of Steven Moffat.

Besides Nation, other production personnel made their debuts with this story, including: directors Christopher Barry and Richard Martin, designer Raymond Cusick, prolific costumer Daphne Dare, and future director Michael Ferguson.

The Daleks was also the source material for both a theatrical film and an American comic book called Dr. Who and the Daleks. Both were the first time Doctor Who had appeared in those media. The Daleks was the the basis for the first attempt to take Doctor Who to the United States market.

The next story will be posted on Sunday May 20th.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:41:29 pm »

I don't think it is overstating the point to say that without this story, we may not have had a show that keeps on running in its 49th year! This was the televisual equivalent of the Beatles "I wanna hold your hand". It is actually almost impossible to judge this objectively as it such a part of, not only Doctor Who's DNA, but my cultural DNA. Everything about this story works wonderfully well and with a beautiful simplicity. It is an almost biblical tale (especially the provocation of the Thals and then the march to the Dalek city) and, for me, is more significant in science fiction terms than just about any other story. Terry Nation went from being a jobbing script writer to a Science Fiction legend with this story. The English language got a new word "Dalek". The simplicity and other-ness of the eponymous villains makes them instantly recognisable.

Wonderful - a timeless tale that sits alongside "2001: A Space Odyssey", "The Martian Chronicles" and "I, Robot" in the Science Fiction hall of fame. 5/5 doesn't seem to do it justice.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:37:04 pm »

What he said Cool
Report Spam   Logged

ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 08:00:30 am »

An iconic story to be sure, but I'm not sure it merits a 5. At times it seems like The Doctor is trying to start a war for no other reason than to get the thingummy for the TARDIS back. In general The Doctor started off as a slightly sinister character and only later became more heroic (contrast his behaviour here with how he behaves in The War Machines, for instance). There are also some funny moments, like when a Dalek comes into the room with a tray of snacks for the prisoners, struggling not to drop the whole lot on the floor (those sink plungers have their limitations). Also, I thought the Dalek Invasion of Earth was better. Still, if not great it is still very good and easily merits a 4.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:21:18 pm »

Full marks from me. No doubt about it. This is one of my favourite Daleks stories ever. It had a bit of everything and really helped put the show on the map. I would absolutely love to have been around back in the day to see this as it aired for the very first time and feel the full effect and buzz surrounding the story. I bet watching this as a kid in the 60's was quite the experience.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 12:10:42 am »

I bet watching this as a kid in the 60's was quite the experience.

"Overwhelming" is the word you're looking for Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:23:20 pm »

I'm giving this one a 4. I think the story could have been a little tighter but for the most part it's really good. It's not my favourite classic Dalek story but it was a great introduction.
Report Spam   Logged
Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:18:05 am »

Definatly a 5/5 for me. This episode really showed the public what a series like this was capable of- and that's a lot. The Doctor here was a perfect example of how he started out- exploring for exploration's sake. He's still just as curious here as he is in his later incarnations, -even going so far as to remove a part of the TARDIS and say it was malfunctioning, just to get a closer look at a new city- but minus the heroism. The thing that really sealed this story for me was the Daleks. Just.... Watching them then and now, I die laughing every time. Such cheesy old sci-fi things must never be forgotten Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 02:52:27 pm »

It was never going to be anything but five.  OK, it has faults, but it was the story that set the bar not only for DW, but for all TV Sci-Fi that came after.  The Daleks themselves were a large part of it, but the story had everything - including an opening episode that was a masterclass in creating tension with nothing but a script and actors, leading up to one of the most iconic moments in TV.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 11:59:34 pm »

I always enjoy this story and I very nearly gave it a five just based on it's significance, but there were a few things in there I wasn't so keen on and for those reasons I have gone with a 4. Still a great story and a brilliant intro for the Daleks though.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 03:30:53 pm »

This is getting 4/5 from me. The writing was strong and we got to know the characters a lot more, but while it was a good introduction for the Daleks I think there are better stories featuring them.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 11:00:12 pm »

I really like this story. It was the second classic Dalek story I watched (after Planet of the Daleks) and while I prefer the latter it was great to see an origin story of sorts and how they first came into the story. I like that Ian gets to play the hero and I like that the Doctors actions are somewhat ambiguous. When I first watched it I expected Davros, too. I didn't realise at the time that he came much later. Anyway, yeah! Strong story and great introduction for the Daleks.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 11:00:23 pm »

I went with full marks btw Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 11:12:36 am »

I've gone with a 4 for this one. It's a great, eerie story that set up the Daleks brilliantly and is probably the best Dalek story until Genesis came along. My main problem with it though is that it gets a bit pacey along the way and as a result begins to feel a bit too long. I think if they had cut an episode from it and tightened the script a bit it would have been near perfect.
Report Spam   Logged

ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 10:44:22 am »

I don't know if I am missing an episode or something, but there was a weird continuity thing when I watched it when they were talking about entering the Dalek city and Ian went off to do that, and the next thing we know the Doctor is already in the city having been captured. Did we never get to see him captured?
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 04:33:32 pm »

I don't know if I am missing an episode or something, but there was a weird continuity thing when I watched it when they were talking about entering the Dalek city and Ian went off to do that, and the next thing we know the Doctor is already in the city having been captured. Did we never get to see him captured?

Yes, we do.  In episode 6 (The Ordeal) the Doctor, Susan and Alydon get into the city under cover of the Thals' mirrors and destroy the Daleks' power antenna.  The Doctor sends Alydon back to get the Thals ready while he and Susan finish off the process, but they're captured by the Daleks before they can get away.  That comes just before switching back to the tunnels where Ian and Barbara's party reach the chasm.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: