The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 02:13:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

RTD Bashing Over Regen Limit

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTD Bashing Over Regen Limit  (Read 283 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: October 07, 2010, 11:40:51 am »

Over on Twitter, and on here to an extent, I have asked people what they think about the regen limit being addressed on SJA as apposed to Doctor Who, and its even todays poll on the main site (go vote) Smiley

What strikes me, is that many people seem to think that this is RTD trying to cling on to Who. Some of the tweets I have had are...

"it's just RTD trying to regain some hold over the show"

"RTD needs to realise DW isnt his show anymore and get over it"

"Why doesnt he move on and stop trying to regain control and let Moff get on with it"

Now, my thinking on this is that RTD either would have asked permission from Moff, who would have obviously agreed, or Moff, knowing RTD was back in the writing seat for SJA, asked for it to be adressed away from the main show. But so many people seem to think he is muscling his way back in and I want to know what you all think.

Have your say, whatever that may be, but lets not let it descend into bashing and arguing. I know the defence and opposition of RTD can often get a little heated. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 12:23:24 pm »

I really dont get the massive issue that some people have with Russell T Davies. He had is downsides, like anyone who has run, acted, edited etc on that show, but the good that he did to the show far outweighed any of his down points. I agree with the Doc. If he is covering the regenerations, its pretty much going to be 100% because he was asked to do so. Moffat has said that he hates the thought of having to address it in the main show, so why wouldnt he palm it off if RTD is happy to take it on. I swear that if RTD was writing an episode of DW for S6 covering the same issue, then people would still say he was trying to take over. One thing I have noticed is that when it comes to RTD bashing, people will do it regardless of the fact they have no real reasoning
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 02:38:30 pm »

Wow, people like to create drama between Rusty and Moff don't they :s. They are good friends so I don't get why people are thinking this wasn't planned between the two of them.  RTD only took over writing the ep at the last stages anyway, so it's coincidence that he's the one writing it, lol.

I really don't like the idea of it being sorted out in a spin off that only 500,000 people watch.  Yeah it will get a boost cos fans will tune in for it, but what about the other 6-7 million who won't. Or the millions of over seas viewers who don't get SJA. Sucks big hairy ones imo Sad
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
professoryard
Hatchling

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 05:14:38 pm »

I would have thought that Moff or someone from the Who production team would have read the SJA script to ensure that nothing in it contradicts/clashes with anything Moff has planned for series 6.

I doubt there is anything sinister going on but it does seem an odd platform to address such a hotly debated topic.

Report Spam   Logged

Somebody else wrote this then ran away...
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 05:59:59 pm »

Here's how I see it. The whole "regen limit" thing was an issue brought up Classic Who. It never ever even vaguely referenced to in NuWho. From "Rose" to "The Big Bang" it has never been mentioned. There are a lot of Doctor Who fans now days that have never seen Classic Who, or if they have, maybe just a few episodes here and there. If Moffat tried to to bring this issue back, explain it was an old issue, solve it, while at the same time telling a story for the episode, I think that episode would suffer. Besides, this kind of thing has happened before,and no one seemed to have a problem with it.

Remember the first season of Torchwood? The big subplot was the mystery behind Jack. Why can't he die, how did he end up here, etc. Well that was answered in the season 3 episode of Doctor Who called "Utopia". In that conversation with Jack and 10. There are several Torchwood fans, especially in the US, who have never seen Doctor Who, yet they love Torchwood. This isn't much different, except for the fact that a lot of NuWho fans have never even heard of the "Regen Limit" or knew it was an issue.

In my opinion, it's a better fit in SJA. SJA is related closer to Classic Who that it is to NuWho, or that NuWho is to Classic Who. (Spoilers for SJA are next) In the episode that this issue gets answered there are 2 former companions who have heard of this issue before. They've dealt with it in a way. The audience who know Jo Grant and Sarah Jane have dealt with it. Most of the audience who know 11 and Amy do not. I think it just fits better.

Besides, it could still be referenced in Who. There could be a scene in s6 where 11 tells Amy and Rory what he did when he was away, and what happened.

I say, let it be. At least it is getting resolved, as opposed to being ignored. This is definitely not the worst thing Russell T. Davies has done, and people love to hate him anyway, so they use this as an excuse. I truly do believe it works better in SJA. Remember, Russell T. Davies and Steven Moffat are FRIENDS. They aren't trying to screw each other. They've consulted with each other. RTD didn't do that without Moff's permission. I can't find the interview, but I know there was one, where some one asked him about the regens, and Moffat smiled and said something like "Oh, a dear old friend has taken care of that for me". So it even could have been on Moffat's orders. I believe Moffat know's what he is doing, and if he is ok with it, so am I.
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 06:09:16 pm »

I do think a lot of people think RTD has gone in and told Moff he is using 11 and sorting out the regens, whether he likes it or not. Like he stamped down his big size 12s and moff could do nothing about it. SJA might be Russells baby, but everything relating to current Doctor Who will have to have been signed off my Moff first. RTD can talk about regens if he likes without Moffs permission, but if that was the case, Moff could easily pull 11 out of the mix and write something in the main show that glosses completely over anything said in SJA. Like Iceman said, this is an excuse for some to just take digs towards RTD.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 06:26:05 pm »

I see where you are coming from Icey, but over here in the UK you don't really get DW mentioned in the media without a reference to the regen limit (and usually Tom Baker, lol).  It may be different in the USA but I really don't think that there are many new fans over here who don't know about it if I'm honest.  If it's a case of SJS and Jo knowing about it and Amy/Rory not then why can't those two come onto the main show and do this? 

I just don't like something that I have known about for 35+ years being dealt with on a spin off, it's just wrong.  It has nothing to do with RTD being the one to do it for me, if he had written it for the main show then I think he would still get a bashing Sad  I really don't understand why it divides the fans so much, they want to create a drama between two mates that just doesn't exist.
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
professoryard
Hatchling

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 08:42:41 pm »

I do think a lot of people think RTD has gone in and told Moff he is using 11 and sorting out the regens, whether he likes it or not. Like he stamped down his big size 12s and moff could do nothing about it. SJA might be Russells baby, but everything relating to current Doctor Who will have to have been signed off my Moff first. RTD can talk about regens if he likes without Moffs permission, but if that was the case, Moff could easily pull 11 out of the mix and write something in the main show that glosses completely over anything said in SJA. Like Iceman said, this is an excuse for some to just take digs towards RTD.
The bottom Line is RTD can state whatever he likes, Moff can either follow or contradict, and a few years down the line whoever takes over from Moff can do whatever they like - it's just something where you have to go with the flow.

For me the best solution would be for the Doctor to state that they were originally limited to 12 regens but Rassilon removed this restriction during the time war.
Report Spam   Logged

Somebody else wrote this then ran away...
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 09:17:16 pm »

For me the best solution would be for the Doctor to state that they were originally limited to 12 regens but Rassilon removed this restriction during the time war.

Now, if that was the throwaway line in SJA I'd be impressed.
For once, this isn't something that bothers me.
Admittedly, I've only watched the SJA eps with 10 in them, and will prob only watch the eps with 11, so I can appreciate people not liking it being in the spin off show, but the way I see it they'd have to do a massive drawn out thing in Nu Who for 11 to explain everything to Amy & Rory (and therefore the Nu viewer) - but then again, Moffat could just as easily pull a "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" on us too.

I won't lose sleep over it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: