The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 11:42:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Leisure Hive

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
4/5 - Really Good - 4 (40%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 5 (50%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 1 (10%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Leisure Hive  (Read 289 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:43:44 pm »

Hello folks Smiley For this weeks story we go back to the Fourth Doctor and the season 18 story The Leisure Hive.

The Doctor and Romana arrive on Argolis in search of a peaceful holiday at the famed Leisure Hive. Instead they become embroiled in both a takeover scheme by the Argolins' historic enemy the Foamasi and the machinations of Pangol, the child of the Generator.

The Leisure Hive was the first story of Season 18 of Doctor Who as well as the first serial produced by John Nathan-Turner. He immediately instituted a number of radical new changes to the series.

The title sequence was redone with a 'star-field' motif. Delia Derbyshire's arrangement of the Doctor Who theme was abandoned in favour of an electronic version of the signature music. These wholesale alterations to the programme's opening sequence would, with relatively minor adjustments, remain in place until season 24. At the same time, Nathan-Turner decided to end composer Dudley Simpson's long association with the programme. He chose the BBC Radiophonic Workshop to handle the incidental music for Hive.

Hive also brought a new look for the Fourth Doctor. His coat and trademark multi-coloured scarf were replaced with burgundy versions of the clothing. The new question mark motif - premiered here on the Doctor's shirt collar - would persist throughout Nathan-Turner's era.

Narratively, Hive was an unusual story in that it was commissioned directly by the producer rather than the script editor, because Christopher H. Bidmead was not yet hired. New executive producer Barry Letts also had a significant hand in shaping the story's outline.

The next story will be posted on Sunday 3rd June.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:51:36 pm »

It is actually unusual for this story to be treated as an individual entity. Normally the Leisure Hive has the subtitle "The First Story of the JNT era and the start of Tom Baker's last season". I think that undersells the value of the story a little. It is a story that tries to explore contemporary issues about the value of science, of prejudice and of ageing. Writer David Fisher is no stranger to writing Doctor Who, having penned a couple of stories previously (most notably Stones of Blood) and this is a highly workable script.

But as a season opener, I think the actual story lacks that "wow" factor. But this is where the JNT influence really comes into its own. What the actual story lacks in wow factor, this is more than made up in production values. I watched this story when I was 9 and I cannot tell you just how different it looked to the previous era (that brilliant title music alone made up for an script deficiencies - I still have the BBC Single I was bought for Xmas 1980). The special effects, the music, the direction of Lovett Bickford. It felt sumptuous.

So I went for 4/5. A very serviceable story and a wonderful look.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:31:37 pm »

I've gone with a four. It's not a bad story but it's sort of like junk food. It's good at the time but sort of empty and unfulfilling once it's done. It did bring in a new era though and although I didn't like many of the things JNT did over the years you can't really knock his enthusiasm. Some of his ideas were great.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 09:10:07 pm »

While it isn't a bad story it feels a bit stodgy and a drags a bit by the end. It also feels a bit like people aren't putting the effort in. Mostly Tom Baker if I'm honest. I think by this point it was the money and fame keeping him there because he often came off as bored and not just in this story. It does have it's upsides though. You can tell a bit of money was spent on it and visually it looked great.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:10:26 pm »

I went with a three btw Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:10:40 pm »

I went with a three btw Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:27:24 pm »

Three from me. It's an ok story which seems better than it is because it has a glossier finish than what came before it.
Report Spam   Logged
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 09:12:30 pm »

Probably not the point of the makers, but my favourite part of the whole story was the opening. The bit on the beach was great. The story itself held up pretty well and I liked the Doctor's new outfit. Not the question marks so much though. I've gone with a four
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 09:12:36 pm »

Probably not the point of the makers, but my favourite part of the whole story was the opening. The bit on the beach was great. The story itself held up pretty well and I liked the Doctor's new outfit. Not the question marks so much though. I've gone with a four
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »

Have to say, I'm surprised this is rating as well as it is. I expected lower scores on the whole.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 01:34:09 am »

Just a three from me. It looked great and the overall outline of the plot was decent but it wasn't directed and edited very well. I think some of the plot points were weak and the pacing was off which dragged the story down.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 02:08:53 pm »

I'm going with a two. I've never been a particular fan of this story. While there are elements to it that I quite enjoy, the majority of it just doesn't appeal to me. It looked pretty good though.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 05:10:22 pm »

I've gone with a four.  I think it's one of the better of the late TB stories.  I like the concept, and it looks spectacular.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 01:22:43 pm »

I thought it was ok. More than anything else I was surprised by just how good it looked. The story itself was pretty good but some of the characters were a bit wooden and there wasn't any huge build up of excitement. I've given it 3/5
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 04:30:59 pm »

It has its moments. Stimpson finding that man costume was genuinely creepy. But what was Stimpson's plan anyway? I found that at the end I couldn't actually remember what had happened to him. I knew that Foamasi had come after him but must have nodded off or something when he was actually killed. And I couldn't work out what those dropping things were. There were some nice directorial flourishes here and there but it didn't really add up to very much, and left several things unexplained (though I realise now it was Klout without the man costume fiddling with the controls for the first cliff-hanger) or hanging. But what were those mannequin things for? And I didn't like the new credits or music. JNT is going to be a bumpy ride for me, despite the better production values.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: